Networking probs

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Crusader

Jun 8, 2001
Nottingham - UK
Im really tired of my family using my comp just cos i dont pay for the cable connection and its connected to my comp (cos i used to pay) .. anywayz the point is that i have a 2nic and cable setup to share my connection across to a laptop that doesnt always want to work :(

Just wondering if ive missed something simple that causes the internet connection sharing to work occasionaly and other times to not work at all .. anywayz heres the specs ..

Main server .. Win2k pro .. 3com 900b nic with inet connection sharing ticked (connected to cable modem) and only tcp/ip ticked (no client for ms network or file/printer sharing).
Secondary nic on server is a netgear fa311/312 .. no inet connection sharing ticked .. all boxes ticked .. (client / file / tcp/ip) and using the ip of 192.168.0.1 and a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 in tcp/ip settings ..

The computer its connected to is a laptop running winxp and has a realtek nic and a 1394 adaptor which are network bridged .. I have tried making the nic automatically detect the settings .. as well as using 192.168.0.2 and the subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and still get probs ..

There were earlier probs of the firewall blocking the connection but I solved that and now im left clueless as to what the cause is .. it can even sometimes stop working after a few mins of a successful connection :\

Thx in advance for any help .. dont think ive missed any details .. tho ill provide if needed :)

Crusader

Just to clarify, your setup is:

Box 1

NIC1 - cable connection feed
NIC2 - for LAN

Box 2

NIC1 - connection via LAN to NIC2 on Box 1

?

Have you set IRQs manually, or just letting them autodetect?

What cabling are you using, and does it pass by any metal objects, or anything which might generate electromagnetic interference, like fridges, stereo systems etc ?

You set the default gateway on the client machines to the IP of the server?

Could you give ipconfig /all outputs for the server and any clients before and after ICS does work.

From the Win2K help file on ICS:

Important

• You should not use this feature in a network with other Windows 2000 Server domain controllers, DNS servers, gateways, DHCP servers, or systems configured for static IP.
  • When you enable Internet connection sharing, the network adapter connected to the home or small office network is given a new static IP address configuration. Existing TCP/IP connections on the Internet connection sharing computer are lost and need to be reestablished.
  • To use the Internet connection sharing feature, users on your home office or small office network must configure TCP/IP on their local area connection to obtain an IP address automatically. For more information, see To configure TCP/IP settings. Home office or small office network users must also configure Internet options for Internet connection sharing. For more information, see To configure Internet options for Internet connection sharing.

@ Thuringwell ..

Yea the box1 and box 2 setups are as u stated .. IRQs are detected automatically .. cable is rj45 cat5 and is around 15 or 20m long .. doesnt pass anything with interference .. tis upstairs along the skirting board and over 1 doorway ..

@ Martz ..

Nope didnt set the getway on the laptop (box) .. i presume this should be 192.168.0.1? As for ipconfig it doesnt seem to work on my win2k pro .. i get a dos box that appears for a fraction of a second and then closes :\

Additions: Cable is cross-ver btw and i can successfully ping both comps from both ends ..

Crusader

Last edited:
Ok so an update ..

I unticked and reticked the inet connection sharing box on nic1 box 1 .. I then unticked file and printer sharing on all nics .. then reentered all the ip details into nic2 box1 after resetting it and ok'd it all .. finally rebooted ..

On box2 I removed the network bridge between the nic and the 1394 adapter .. and instead of using the ip details for the nic (box2) under tcp/ip I left it on auto detect ..

For the moment it seems to work but I dont know how long it will last .. perhaps until a reboot .. so im guessing if theres anything to change then it should be the ip details on nic1 box2 yea?

Thx again ..

Crusader

Windows 2000 IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : crusader
Primary DNS Suffix . . . . . . . :
Node Type . . . . . . . . . . . . : Broadcast
IP Routing Enabled. . . . . . . . : Yes
WINS Proxy Enabled. . . . . . . . : No

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . :
Description . . . . . . . . . . . : 3Com EtherLink XL PCI TPO NIC (3C900B-TPO)
Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : * (removed by me)
DHCP Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes
Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes
IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 81.99.99.* (removed by me)
Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0
Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 81.99.99.254
DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 62.254.0.20
DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 194.168.8.100 194.168.4.100
Lease Obtained. . . . . . . . . . : 09 January 2003 09:57:24
Lease Expires . . . . . . . . . . : 10 January 2003 06:14:05

Crusader

Last edited: