Network prob

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Andy

I work for BT, adore me!
Jun 7, 2001
Wigan/Rochdale
I have just gotten hold of a laptop, Toshiba TE2100. It has a fresh install of XP Pro, but I have a problem. When I plug an ethernet cable in or a crossover the laptop will not stay connected to whatever I plug the other end into, whether this be a dsl modem, a pc or a switch. It just keeps flicking between being disconnected and connected every few seconds. I am no network guru but have managed to set up a small network before, I have never come accross this behaviour. Could it be some authenticaion problem?

The network adapter is an Intel Pro/100 VE, i have tried different driver sets including the latest with the same result. I have also had Win200 on and same result.

Any advice would be apreciated.

look in hardware and turn off

allow this computer to turn off this device to save power

on the network card

may be going to sleep all the time

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    73.6 KB · Views: 77
you tryed giving it a fixed ip address ?

ive done that with 1 machine on my network that had probs getting an ip from the dns server

Attachments

• Untitled-1 copy.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 66
I guess you have started with the obvious and checked the drivers... and/or changed them and tried a few other versions. Not just the newest...

Is it a pcmcia? If so, try the card in a different slot (If you have more than 1).

If that doesn´t work, maybe you have a friend you could borrow a different card from and try with that.

If that doesn´t work i´m affraid your card might be broken.

Re:

Its not a pcmica its onboard. I assume the port works, as it detects other connections and tries to connect, it does send and recieve in the brief period it is connected but then it drops.

I'll try using fixed adresses tomorrow when my new router arrives.