MP3-Player

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Nephilim

Jun 8, 2001
alright, Im interested in buying a new one since my old one is a dirt cheap no-name bollox thing thats just fucked up. (128 MB stick, old one)

now, what I have in mind is this:
Rio Chiba 256 MB

Why I post here is
1) does anyone have that model or any experience with any of the Rio players of the last autumn generation? concerning quality of the unit as a whole (solid build?), then are there any major problems with it? The reviews I found on google only name minor flaws which dont worry me (background noise when turning on/off for example).

2) does anyone know a european or, preferably (but not necessarily), a german online-shop for this model with a reasonable price? Ive only found very few of them and none of them even gets close to amazon.com's price. (which is like 120 euros) (and no, amazon.de doesnt have it) .. any other euro stores I found are 200+.
Now I would buy at amazon if only the manufacturer warranty wasnt so ridiculously short - 90 days really isnt much IMO. German stores have a 2 year warranty on many of their items, also they have a 14-day-cancel-option if I dont like the product. I cant find anything like that with american shops.
Ive found several american onlineshops where you can get a 3 year warranty for some extra $$$, but I cant figure out if they also ship to Europe / Germany. (this one in particular)

any help appreciated
Nephilim

matter of taste, I guess.
but its supposed to be very good ergonomic design :)

hate the iPods :p:
and what would I need XX GB for on a HD-player when I can have a fine sports-suited flashplayer with up to 768 MB anyway ;) trust me I would like to buy this Rio one

Nephilim said:
hate the iPods :p:
and what would I need XX GB for on a HD-player when I can have a fine sports-suited flashplayer with up to 768 MB anyway ;) trust me I would like to buy this Rio one

sound quality? :p:

Reactions: CeCe
yeah apoc just had a look at them..
I think my major problem is that in america you can buy the "good" players like from Rio or iRiver dirt cheap (120-130 euros), but only with like 2 or 3 months warranty. And in europe theyre all 200+ euros, some of them up to 280, which is way too much IMO, even tho they got a (2)year-warranty.
I guess I'll just go for the next best USB stick with 256 MB in an electronics store round here :|

well munkz the cali is the same thing as the Chiba but the cali is some sort of sport version, everything else is same. and it looks shite ;P

I've got the Rio Cali :)
Got it for a bit more than eBuyer are doing it for though :(

Its pretty solid, sound quality is great as far as im concerned, the rio software is ok and pretty easy to use. It is a sports mp3 player and comes with an arm strap which although looks a little cheap does the job, and earphones that hang over your ears. So it's ideal for me when I go running etc.
It's 256mb built in and can also take 512mb cards (not included with the player).

Drawbacks:
take the (single AAA) battery out and it loses its settings & date/time :mad:
Have to take the battery out to put a card in. (a minor problem)
Support team are pants - After asking them if there is a plugin for it on iTunes 4 for windows they send me info on Mac plugins for an ancient version of iTunes. :lol:

I'm happy with it, certainly about the biggest (768mb) capacity solid state mp3 player I could find for a decent price, and about the only one with an arm strap. :P

Edit:
Oh and as for it's looks it does look quite nice in the 'flesh', all the girls at work were impressed when i got it out ;)

Last edited:
you know tony, I wouldnt have asked for prices for the twin-brother of the Cali, ie the Chiba, if I didnt know its good :P
anyway, prolly spending a bit more than I wanted to and getting an iRiver iFP-190 soon (you can get em in germany which is the major bonus for me, 2 year warranty n all)

Last edited:
3dbiggrin.gif

It looks a slighlty... feminine to me. :sofa: and i'm not sure if i like the black and silver 195. Your choice thou :D

the 195 is the best yeah but its sooooooo expensive :(
and I think the look is very neutral, if youre going on about feminine :p:

Ive got the iFP-190 now and I must say Im well pleased.
compared to my previous sticks its uber :D, v fast reaction time of the controls, very good sound quality imo etc.