Moving big files in Win7...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

well, ... that's really weird. (seriously)
but still... you could have mentioned before that you didn't change jack - except for installing win7 - before it all started. because that would have spared me the guessing!! :D ;) ;)

Checked for firmware & driver updates to your mobo?

Sounds less likely to be external disk related, and more like the USB controller.

If you have an old internal HDD knocking around, you could test transfer of large files between disks on the SATA/IDE controller to confirm that theory.

/edit

There are reported issues with various mobo chipsets and USB transfers in Win7.

MS released a hotfix for NVIDIA chipsets, but you must make sure you're using the latest BIOS available to you before installing: http://support.microsoft.com/kb/976972

Last edited:
Updating mobo firmware etc. is something I hate to do because if I get it wrong I may be screwed. I bought this machine a month ago from a site that builds the computers you specify, so I assumed that they would have put all the latest drivers in there.

I went to this site:

http://www.msi.com/product/mb/770-C45.html#/?div=Driver

and looked at BIOS and drivers available. I take it I just download and install the latest BIOS update and ignore the others? And the first driver option is pretty nonspecific:

ATI System Drivers for 7xx/8xx/SB7xx/SB8xx Series (except RS690, 740)

I dunno what this is for :confused: Do I need it? Man I'm a newbage.

EDIT: Great, no floppy drive :whatever:

Last edited:
That file is the chipset driver, one driver covers multiple chipsets, would be worth installing.

To update your BIOS without a floppy drive, either format a USB stick so its bootable, HP format tool is easiest way and easily googled.
Or make a bootable CD, again you can easily google instructions on how to make a basic boot cd for BIOS flashing

I dont think the sellers put the latest BIOS on automatically. Though, I guess they install the latest Mainboard Chipset drivers and the rest of hardware drivers. I never had a mainboard with the latest BIOS on it, even tho it might be a "new" machine which you have just bought. If you do not have the newest of the new Boards you have an "old" board for which you can surely have new updates already.

Another thing m8:

BIOS Updates with the new Machines/Mainboards are very simple these days, since you can easily update from a booted machine by using the BIOS update software. It's updated within minutes.

But for your problem I would also recommend to update the Chipset drivers from your board and check the MS fix thingy. If that won't help the BIOS Update should be the thing you could/must go for.

GL
/niko

I think for MSI there's this Live Update tool which does all the driver updates and BIOS flashing for you within Windows.

May be worth checking out if your mobo supports that (I'd look, but MSI site isn't loading for me - thanks to Virgin cable)

/edit

Also I'd avoid that MS hotfix I linked as you're not running an NVIDIA chipset - not sure whether it would do you any good at all to install that.

Last edited: