move to Quakenet?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Move the PUG to Quakenet?

• Yes, I'd like to have some fun with players from other UT scenes aswell!

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • Nope, I'd like to keep it like it is.

Votes: 10 45.5%
  • I'm not sure

Votes: 8 36.4%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

free^

- B-Boy -
Jun 27, 2001
Germany
Hi,

as mentioned in the topic I'd like to start a poll about the PUG if it should be moved to Quakenet due to more activity in the UT99 scene.

advantages:
- more activity
- higher possibility to reach new players (i.e. CTF/TDM - scenes)

I think after 10 years we should watch to pull every possible line to keep the league surviving.

last time I went on Qnet some fucker PM'd me and said I had taken his nickname and told me to fo :(

I'm not sure, I haven't voted yet cause I don't really know what that would mean.

Pros and cons? elaborate!

It would mean that we change the IRC server (worldassault.net) completely to Quakenet (irc.quakenet.org)
All we would have to do is change the server adress and create a new pug-chan for assault.

A poll is not really the right way to go about it.

This domain is owned and maintained by doh and Martz, whether they would appreciate some members of their domain asking for a change behind their back is unknown. Maybe make a suggestion to them first.

Not voted.

pro's:
there would be more random players.

cons:
the new players wont know the 'custom' assault maps, they dont even know bridge/ballistic I bet.
the old players dont know / cba to move, so you will have 50% of the puggers on utassault and 50% on quakenet.

Bear in mind that if you were to move utapug to quakenet that the bot would need to be altered because you cannot pm 12 people simultaneously on quakenet, it just doesn't let you. As for iCTF channels, join #project.ictf on Quakenet (zeroping chan I think).

Not voted yet but one good thing about the current system is that just about anyone who wants a game can get one (I know there's often a bit of a wait but still). It doesn't often happen that 12 players jump in right away and take all the places, leaving a couple of others out. How tough would it be to get a game if a flood of new players was let in and people had to struggle to make it into the 12 before all the places were taken? Just a thought, I don't actually know the answer.

And furhter more on what useless has already put, u get a quick flood of 12 ppl, how many of them 12 people are AS that will know the maps?? If say only 2-3 AS players are in that pug, how fun is that gonna be for them??so on and so on and before long i think WE us as a community will get bored of that and stop ourselfes.

But like u said we may gather more interest in AS, MAYBE new players, MAYBE new clans. alot of if's and buts for me.

Quakenet has been discussed before. Why move it when it's good here? No channel takeovers etc.
Expand instead. Feel free to start a pug channel over at quakenet and rent a server, it doesn't cost much. Or borrow one and you are good to go. Just don't sign up for pug in both servers/channels. This way you get to introduce assault (only 10 year ol' game :teehee:) to new players over at quakenet but still keep old ones at utassault.net. As I think you want to do.

In mIRC start a new server window and stay in both irc.utassault.net and quake.net

Maybe you could show new players over at quakenet how to play in the beginning and keep utapug for players who are active or at least known at utassault.net league.

Last edited:
well, there were no takeover since 2 years or so, because quakenet is on its way to die too.

id like to have that community at the quakenet but i also can understand your fears about idiots taking spots and spoiling every game. we just need a second pug server that will be at qnet to promote our lovely league :P

Not doing a SWOT since ppl must know what they want on their own. It's not like I'm getting money for this. Just wanted to show ppl there is some UT outside assault to get more players/fans.
It is surely not about the PUG only. It's about to get new potential players in the league by playing matches as there's going on around 10 matches/pracs a day in the ctf scene (DM not counted). It's just an opportunity that most ppl don't get.

poll is closed but i would of voted yes , or at least if we had a 2nd server making an assault pug on quakenet aswell as having the main one ? so you could have a choice of 2. no idea if theres a 2nd server available just an idea but that way you could keep the main channel and have a 2nd one for new players also.

You guys make it sound asif the UT scene on Quakenet is all alive and crowded... :lol:

I think it's clear that we can't/shouldn't move from irc.utassault.net.

That being said, new players are welcomed imho (everybody loves Helltiger!!!), sure a swarm could be annoying, but i doubt it would happend, most likely it would be small groups of friends (2 to 4 at a time i guess) that come to try assault out from time to time, and if the interest is there, they might even create new ctf/dm l33tfragging skill clans and bring activity to the league and eventually become a part of our community and deserve a slot in the pug as much as any of us. (yes that is a lot of wishfull thinking but I think it could happend that way)

The easiest (and free!!!!!) way to bring people to us would be simply for those that voted yes in this thread to add a single line in they perform section. ''//server -m irc.quakenet.org -j #utapug '' not sure about quakenets adress but you get the idea, and the channel doesn't have to be #utapug, you could call it #utaembassy #assaultftw #aspug #homeoftheriv or whatever as long as a few people idle in there and you put that single line really highlighted in the topic ''//server -m irc.utassault.net -j #utapug'' people should pop out in #utapug on utassault eventually. As long as these people know what channels of quakenet to spam the #homeoftheriv channel publicity.

and for those that don't know the -m section of the command means you can join a new irc server without disconnecting from your current one, so its just as easy as /join #whatever channel.

My 2cents anyway, I'd idle in the publicity channel on quakenet, but I wouldn't know which quakenet channels to ''spam'' with the info.

Hope I made myself clear enough -_- makes sense in my head anyway :P