Lyon 3 Celtic 2...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
Once again Celtic fucked over by appalling refereeing. To give a penalty for that non-existent handball, at that stage of the game, with that scoreline... He should be fired then shot, or maybe vice versa. I'm so disappointed in that prick :(

Sorry mate I was cheering for Celtic through the whole game, but that was a clear penalty. The ball came off the attackers head then deflected off his arm as it was going towards goal. Some angles you couldn’t really see it but others it was clear as day.

Ref had no choice but to award a penalty and, harsh as it was on Celtic, it was the right decision...

The ball came off the attackers head then deflected off his arm as it was going towards goal

I never saw the game, but how long is it going to be that defenders are punished (or in this case a team) for something they can do jack all about.

Shots on goal (or in this case a header) that deflect of a defenders arm should not be penalties imho. Yes there are cases of delibrate handball in matches, but those are 99.9% if the time obvious. Seen it all too often when a attackers takes a shot for goal and the defender deflects it. 9/10 times it would be almost impossible for the defender giving speed/distance/time to move out of the way yet they stll get done.

One of the dumbest rules in fitba ever!

{24}Useless said:
To give a penalty for that non-existent handball

Balde bloke jumped hands first, 100% a penalty, even a girl could have seen that was hand ball!

You should be complaining about the stupidity of your defence rather than the referee :P

Apoc, I agree with you in some completely accidental circumstances but if you didn’t see this one then it's probably best not to pass judgement...

The defender jumped with his arm literally outstretched and deflected the ball as soon as it came off the attackers head. There was every chance it would of been a goal otherwise. It wasn't an unavoidable accident and although he may not of deliberately gone for the ball with his arm, there was no way he should of been jumping in the way with his arm stuck out like that.

And wot peebe said :D

Whether the hand was there first or not isn't really relevant - his hand stopped what was potentially a goal scoring header. That's a penalty whatever way you look at it, but regardless if you are defending you do not jump with you arm outstretched in front of the ball, it's pretty obvious you will end up hand-balling.

He must of known when he started jumping that if he stuck his arm out it may well hit the ball, so he should not of done it in the first place. Clear penalty imo and I was supporting Celtic in that game.

i prefer celtic aboive the rangers :x just because celtic has fightsers in their team and are willing to fight for a win, rangers are just a few second hand dutch players

it was never a penalty ffs us lads got cheated once a fucking gain, i have held a season ticket for parkhead for the past 5 yrs, watching my glorious celtic, and that referee was blind and foxy ffs "down with celtic scum??" tut tut, is that a lil bit of religion coming into it, anyway we were robbed and any decent neutral football fan would see that :shout:

Spirit said:
Whether the hand was there first or not isn't really relevant - his hand stopped what was potentially a goal scoring header. That's a penalty whatever way you look at it, but regardless if you are defending you do not jump with you arm outstretched in front of the ball, it's pretty obvious you will end up hand-balling.

He must of known when he started jumping that if he stuck his arm out it may well hit the ball, so he should not of done it in the first place. Clear penalty imo and I was supporting Celtic in that game.

yeah certainly BUT did his hand touch it ...errr NO :poke:

Xion said:
yeah certainly BUT did his hand touch it ...errr NO :poke:

omg yes lol, ok well was his wrist not his hand but that's still hand ball. As I said from some angles it didnt look like it but from others it was clear as day, the ball changed direction when it came off his arm!!

It was clearly an accident :( Whether or not Balde is your favourite player, he's not a complete idiot. He's not going to try to knock a ball around with his hand or his arm cos he knows that's dangerous, especially in the box. Yes it might have been a goal or whatever but I've seen refs wave play on when the ball comes off someone's hand, just because it was obviously not deliberate. So if you're going to award a penalty for handball then you better be bloody sure you saw 100% deliberate handball and I find it hard to believe the ref could claim that's what he saw.

And that second goal from Lyon - you could see the ball dip and curve right then suddenly swing left again from the angle behind the goal. Hedman actually had it saved until it changed course in flight. He's not exactly my goalkeeping idol but I think blaming him totally for that one is a bit much. I don't want to make it sound like Lyon were crap or whatever - they got 2 great goals and one crappy one. Oh well UEFA cup again and :wave: to Rangers watching from the stands and shouting words like 'scum' at us :fingers:

RE:

You can't jump with your arm outstretched like that in front of goal and not expect it to be a penalty if you stop an on target shot/header, any suggestion otherwise is a joke