Lost in Translation {spoilers}

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

jwer_NL

***YODA***
Oct 18, 2001
GRUN OWNS
Lost in Translation {spoliers}

Thread about Lost in Translation

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0335266/

Weird movie because everyone seems to think it's great, when i think jack shit happens, and i hope people can explain me why it's good... i'll go in dept about the movie now...

Okay, the movie is about a movie star (Bill Murray) being for a couple of weeks in japan, having to do a few promo things and then go back home... He meets Charlotte (Scarlett Johansson) and she feels lost as well a little, travelling to japan with her husband, and they fancy each other but they're both married, so nothing really happens...

Here's the thing about it, what do people fancy about this film? The drama in this movie is limited in people feeling lost in another country that they barely know, and feel different. However they are only there for a small period of time, hardly enough to get real drama or loneliness going, and nothing really dramatic happens...

The love story is shallow to say the least, both the main caracters are married so nothing happens, murray cheats on his wife once when he's really drunk but that doesn't seem to affect the movie at all...

What's left then? the differences between the western world and the japanese culture... well that's what i really object to it really. The differences in culture are FAR more profound then offered in this film. There's SO much more then japanese people playing weird arcade machines all day or sing karaoke. BAD stereotypes are confirmed and the real big differences are not even adressed. Why people in japan bow, the importance of having your own name/employee card, the differences in social structure (i.e. not carrying guns and blowing each other up) and SO MUCH MORE

ANY 30 minutes Discovery program would be 30times better then this movie that just confirmes stupid stereotypes.

So what's left then? The people i watched it with said "the setting is good" and the setting WAS good but that's all it is, 2 hours of "setting". IMO nothing happens in it that would create any emotion...

Why is rated 8+ on IMDB then? why are comedies always rated low, sometimes VERY low and these shallow "nothing happens" movies rated really high? someone plz try and explain to me cus these things always leaves me baffled

edit: feckin typo in the thread name "duh" some mod change it fs :p:

:lol: i wouldnt even see that movie just because its has a shit cover...well sounds similiar to a movie with rboert de niro and some1 else...i cant remember the title ...old-ish movie from the 80's

what is fun about those movie's is that its enjoyable to watch..just like a soap..once u've seen it u wanna know what happands the next time but for caggabe shaggers like u JWER it might be hard to enjooy it :P

j@ckel said:
what is fun about those movie's is that its enjoyable to watch..just like a soap..once u've seen it u wanna know what happands the next time but for caggabe shaggers like u JWER it might be hard to enjooy it :P

first of all, the real cabbage shaggers don't even WATCH it, unlike me :rolleyes:

second of all, i know exactly what happens the next time, exactly jack shit again :moon:

it is a good film its not a master piece as has been said by some moveos but its good

its a very philosophical film with funny elements that pokes fun at stereotypes from both directions ..
i really enjoyed it

why in the world would it get a higher vote then i.e. "gladiator" then?

purely because it has an selective audiance and thus voters? and "everyone" voted for gladiator, also the people that hated it?

dodgy voting fs

gladiator was shite

havent seen this LIT yet, but Bill Murray is godlike so im sure i'll enjoy it