liek whoa!!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

grãvëdîggér

Jul 17, 2001
Dallas,Texas
Unreal Tournament 2003 has gone gold!

Just before 5AM Eastern Standard Time this morning we shipped the release version of Unreal Tournament 2003 to manufacturing. It should be in production later today and in stores before the end of the month. We want to thank everyone on the forum for all of the valuable feedback. In the week since we shipped the demo we worked pretty much non-stop to squash a lot of bugs and incorporate some of the great feedback we got from players all around the world.

Steve Polge is going to post a list of some of the gameplay changes we made since the demo in the demo feedback forum.

UT2003 is a 3 CD set. Of course you know it’s a huge game with a ton of content (over 35 levels), great characters, awesome gametypes, incredible AI, cool mutators, etc. But there’s also some great tools including the following:

1. Maya Personal Learning Edition from Alias|Wavefront - a special version of the professional-strength 3D content creation tool used by top game designers and major Hollywood studios along with a special plug-in created by our friends Secret Level Inc. that provides seamless integration between the game's engine and Maya.

2. The Karma Authoring Tool (KAT) that allows you to set up character joint constraints for use with MathEngine's Karma real-time physics system which is incorporated into UT2003.

3. UPaint - a 3D painting application that lets you paint directly on the games' characters in 3D and also provides face projection which allows you to paste your face over the game's characters.

4. The Unreal Editor 3.0 - the latest version of the main tool we used to build all of the UT2003 levels.

5. The UnrealScript Real Time Debugger lets mod authors trace through their code like never before. This is the kind of tool that professional developers rely on to ship the best possible code.

6. A fully working Karma-enhanced vehicle and a test level to drive it around it. This will give mod maker a head start on how to do cool vehicle-based mods with our technology.

Linux Support

The Linux installer is included on Disc 3 of the 3 CD set! We support both client and server for Linux. Unfortunately there's no mention of Linux on the box because we didn't know it would be done in time so please tell all your Linux gaming friends that UT2003 is ready for them!

Future enhancements:

We're going to be releasing a free server-only stand-alone version of the game for our friends who want to run servers without buying the full game. This should be ready about the same time the game shows up in stores or perhaps a little earlier.

We plan to ship UDE, the Unreal Development Environment, which is a full-featured UnrealScript editor and compiler interface that will make life easier for mod makers.

We're going to work with Discreet to provide a customized version of Gmax, a free scaled-down version of 3D Studio Max, with an importer/exporter for the UT2003. The editor already provides support for the full version of 3D Studio Max as it imports the ASE format directly.

We're already thinking of cool new features and content for a free bonus pack so stay tuned. Those of you who remember the original UT know that shipping the game is just the beginning of the Unreal experience.

Everyone at Digital Extremes and Epic Games hopes you enjoy the game.

For the most part, we are very happy with the current weapon balance. We have made the following small changes since the demo:

- flak alt-fire shell has higher initial velocity, so it travels a little further.
- link projectiles are smaller.
- shock projectile travels slightly faster.

I've also fixed and tweaked the bot AI:

- Bots less accurate at high skills, and have slightly slower reaction time
- fixed bot use of minigun
- Bombing Run AI was somewhat broken in the demo. Its substantially improved now.
- bots group together less in Team DM.
- various other tweaks.

<Xavier|HV|out> hey mark - have you guys thought about reducing tele ammo to 0
when you throw the bomb in Bombing Run ?
<MarkRein[Epic]> Xavier|HV|out--> Huh? Sounds like a bad idea to me.
<Xavier|HV|out> MarkRein[Epic]: Right now, people can throw the ball and
immediately teleport after it, bringing teamwork down about 900% from what could
be done if you didn't have trans ammo immediately after throwing the bomb, and
had to wait for it to charge.
<Xavier|HV|out> MarkRein[Epic]: Almost everyone from the 'professional' ut
community agrees
<MarkRein[Epic]> Xavier|HV|out--> That is totally and completely defendable you
know?
<Xavier|HV|out> MarkRein[Epic]: yes, but there is no reason the ball carrier
should have trans ammo after throwing the ball. Pass it to a teammate, dont just
tele after it. It would encourage more passing and would be a Good Thing, imo.
<MarkRein[Epic]> Xavier--> I'm sorry but I don't agree on that point.
<Silence|HV> Markrein[Epic] -> do you even play the game?

<Dethroned|HV> MarkRein[Epic]: How about when you load a map the background screen
is of the actual map and not of another?
<MarkRein[Epic]> Dethroned|HV--> Huh?

<Xavier|HV|out> MarkRein[Epic]: another Q.. have you guys given a thought to
raising the tele angle slightly higher? It feels like it's shooting into the
ground now. A slight raise of maybe 10 degrees would change a lot

<Xavier|HV|out> MarkRein[Epic]: Will the dodge bug EVER get fixed? It's REALLY PREVALENT in the demo, even
more so than it was in UT
<MarkRein[Epic]> Xavier--> you mean when you can't dodge sometimes when you're online?
<Xavier|HV|out> MarkRein[Epic]: i mean you can't dodge until you JUMP regularly
<Publius|HV> same dodge - jump bug from ut
* MarkRein[Epic] says the dodge "bug" is not actually a bug - it is a manifestation of packet loss between you and the server
<Xavier|HV|out> MarkRein[Epic]: let me explain the bug so people dont interpret wrong: Sometimes there is a
bug where you can't dodge until jumping again. This bug manifests itself in the middle of games, and the
only way to dodge after it happens is to jump
<Publius|HV> ACtually, its a bug, we've replicated it on lan even
<MarkRein[Epic]> Publius|HV--> nonsense
<Xavier|HV|out> MarkRein[Epic]: if you're not going to listen to us, what point is this chat? Publius told
you they replicated the dodge bug on a lan. Why don't you believe him??
<Publius|HV> I guess I must have had packet loss on a lan server

<MarkRein[Epic]> absurd--> The weapons WERE changed. The link gun projectiles were
made smaller, the flak balls fire a little differently and the shock alt-fire is
faster. Those were ALL suggestions from the community that we incorporated.

<Mako[C1]> Mark: Is spectator fixed in Gold so it is like in UT where u can have a fixed view on a player?
<MarkRein[Epic]> Mako--> Spec?
<m2-phenom> yes spec cam doesnt work all the time
<m2-phenom> and you cant see who you are viewing if it does
<Mako[C1]> Mark: In demo u can only roam around in spectator mode, u cant fix a view on a player like u
could in UT
<DirtyBird[LM]> MARK: Without being able to lock on to a player in spectator mode, demo recording will not
be of much value, and that will have a huge negative effect on tournaments (LANs and online play).
<MarkRein[Epic]> DirtyBird[LM]--> I'm sure that if that's not fixed it will be fixed with demo recording.

NEVER ANSWERED:

<m2-nails11> MarkRein[Epic]: is the dodge bug fixed? the tdm suicide score tally? there were a good
number of bugs in the demo...were they all fixed that quick or will we be relying on a patch???

Some other banter:

<Silence|HV> Mark what other tweaks where fixed in demo to gold? anything good or
just a bunch of newbie things

<Xavier|HV|out> MarkRein[Epic]: i think you should make the redeemer have 48 ammo,
and fire really rapidly. oh wait, we already have the rocket launcher, nm
(seriously, maybe the rocket launcher could do a bit less splash damage?)

<MarkRein[Epic]> Publius|HV--> No chance for a game clock

Well it's been nice knowing all of you ; ) I wont be playing ut3.......age of mythology comes out in a month so i'll strictly be a rts man.