Laptop search

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Moon

Boom HEADSHOT!
May 30, 2002
I'm thinking about getting a laptop and I was wondering if someone could give me some examples to look at. It will mainly be for gaming, movie making and other minor stuff. Games like UnrealTournament 3 should be running smooth. I guess the laptop you may find might be expensive but I'm open for all offers you may find. I don't know anything about pc specs which is why I ask you people here :P!
Thanks! :snot:

I finally bought a new lappy Dell Inspiron 1720 a week ago. It's really nicely made. Good quality materials and mostly top parts inside like Intel Pro net cards. It's a 17" widescreen lappy with dual core cpu.
You can pick some of the parts on your via web onfiguration tool.

Website

I deffo do not recomend Acer or Asus (i had one for 4 years) laptops. Acer is really low quality and Asus uses some weirdo shit hardware fuck knows from where which very often causes unstable system and reinstalling all it's drivers might be really pain in the ass.

I'm running on a Dell XPS M1710 all time. Works pretty well for me, can play UT3 with graphics almost maxxed out (I've got some lower quality specs than most due to me being poor), 17" screen etc.

I can vouch for the XPS laptops too, I have this one (its pretty nice) preinstalled with ubuntu (go dell) and you can get it with better graphics cards in it, more memory etc. However, I don't use it to play UT3 so dunno how it handles. It's a very nice compact, lightweight lappy though, fells robust and it looks nice too :D

I can vouch for the XPS laptops too, I have this one (its pretty nice) preinstalled with ubuntu (go dell) and you can get it with better graphics cards in it, more memory etc. However, I don't use it to play UT3 so dunno how it handles. It's a very nice compact, lightweight lappy though, fells robust and it looks nice too :D

I hope you're keeping an eye on whether Ubuntu is shafting your hard drive :-S

Yer nice one, tho mine's leeterer

Havent seen both of em but read that about it.

Dell XPS M1730 (shall be the fastest gaming notebook atm)

Gateway P-6831 FX (meant to be the best midrange notebook atm)

is there a site I can see if a laptop with its specs can run ut3 on max ?

I reckon you will be lucky to get UT3 running smooth with a laptop. I could be wrong though. Let us know how you get on. You might try Toshiba as well. Their high end comps are quality on a stick. I have a Dell and it is OK. but more for business. Agree with leaving Acer and Asus alone. Acer will fall to bits real fast and Asus should stick to motherboards.

I bought the M1730 when it came out, and i can honestly tell you that comp is a real beast, in double meanings...

It was the first laptop afaik to make use of the ageia physx card (Read more here http://www.ageia.com/) which gives a significant boost in gaming. As you´ll notice on that site there´s even some kind of UT3 mod kit for it.

The dual nvidia cards with SLI gives some extreme performance and together with the ageia card it´s working pretty much perfect.

However, it´s pretty expensive and i would call it a "portable desktop" rather than a laptop because it´s feckin huge. Also, it creates a lot of heat which is the major problem nowadays when they´r building gaming laptops. It´s got descent cooling but under pressure it´s generating a lot more heat which can only be somewhat reduced with a cooling plate so have that in mind when/if you´r buying it.

As a sidenote:
I returned mine due to a cooling problem they couldn´t fix but i´d hope that isn´t a very common problem.