Italy, buildings and earthquakes

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

(s)AINT

Official Shinon's favourite target since 2007!
Feb 12, 2007
Messina,Sicily
I think you all have heard about the last earthquake happened in Italy, in L'Aquila, Abruzzo. Damages to things and people were huge. Buildings totally crashed: hospitals (whose construction ended in 2000), students motels, houses and so on litterally fell down. That's sure: earthquake was not little, it was not light (5.6 Richter Ladder). But how comes that even rain can cause buildings crashes in Italy? And I am not talking about tropical rain, you know. And how comes that schools and hospitals and houses fall down even without any external factor?
Well. Let's start from the beginning. In 1908 Messina and Reggio Calabria were totally destroyed by a huge earthquake (7.1, Richter Ladder).90% of buildings n Messina crashed, not to mentions that more than 90.0000 people died. Messina and Reggio Calabria are placed in a seismic area. The risk of earthquake is really high here. Messina had already had some powerful earthquakes in the past aswell. After the 1908 one, italian government made a law according to which who wants to build up anything in the seismic areas had to build with some specific techniques, of course anti-sismic ones (I think Californian and Japanese people know something about it). Well: the 70% of Italian territory is classified as seismic area.On the other hand, only the 18% of the buildings follow this law. This is already a plain explanation and answer to the questions I asked before. It ain't enough stil, though. Nothing is ridicolous and scandalous enough in Italy. I previously mentioned L'Aquila Hospital inaugurated in 2000. Firemen and police incredibily discovered that that hospital's walls had been built with a large quantity of beach sand and stones and a big lack of cement, which was declared as reinforced concrete instead. Who doesn't know that beach sand corrodes, ruins the iron, which is the basic element of buildings' internal structures? Maybe the manifacturer didn't. I'd say evidently didn't... or not? With no surprise, I tell you, they did know it. Well: the manufacturer of that hospital is now called Impregilo. Previously, with an another name, it dealt with rubbish removing. These are the results: http://www.ilgiornale.it/att_jpg.php?ID=296755&X=660&Y=495 (just one of the uncountable pictures you can find on the net about Naples' garbage). But let's go back to the Impregilo. As I said before, Impregilo built that famous hospital and Silvio Berlusconi has already assigned to this manifacturer the future construction of Messina Bridge, one of the biggest projects in all Europe. And the most dangerous. First of all, Italy, and the south of Italy in particular,totally lacks decent infrastructures like streets,railways and so on. These are the streets of my city, Messina indeed:
http://messina.blogolandia.it/2009/02/05/le-buche-di-messina-arrivano-su-facebook/. Not to talk about enormous delays at the train stations (and about the conditions of the trains theirselves) and the lack of public transport (for example, Messina lacks bus, and the few we have are really crap, have huge delays or just don't pass at the bus stops). We also lack parkings and this really makes my city a jungle. Not to mention all the corruption and the nepotism which lets people who don't even know what signals mean drive, or lets fake doctors "heal" people and so on.
Well, back to topic. The Messina Bridge will be built by that manufacturer in the area which has been lately indicated as the most seismic one in the world, with crap materials, ruining the landscape which is the only good thing left to Sicily and of course causing disoccupation, since ferry boat company will be closed. Impregilo buys cement forniture from another company, the Calce&Struzzi S.p.A., which have been bought by the ItalCementi, the 5th biggest multinational company in the world in its field, that is the cement production. Its boss, Pesenti, is under investigation for the following crimes: laundering, fraud and scam aggravated for pandering to the mafia and the Calce&Struzzi is under judicial impounding. Some days ago took place a trial against 3 ex directors of the Calce&Struzzi, accused of dealing with mafia affairs, of attempt on public transport and of fraud in public cement fornitures: the reinforced concrete could be considered anything but reinforced concrete. The best thing is that this manfacturer had built highways and hospitals (mainly in Sicily), which have been closed (at least the ones we know about). Funny stuff: the Messina-Palermo highway has been closed because asphalt detached everywhere and the piers were going to crash, since they couldn't stand any kind of weight. It had been inaugarated by Berlusconi and his mafious friend Cuffaro, ex Messina mayor, whose trials for mafia affairs have been suspended and deleted thanks to a law made by Berlusconi and his allies, which declares that all the parlamentarians can't be put on trial..who knows why? http://www.economist.com/displaystory.cfm?story_id=587107 (thanks crackking for the link).
Also dams and town halls buildings are involved. Telephone tappings showed already some conversations between these ex directors talking about "fucking the institutions", "economize on materials" and "not respecting laws, beacuse we fuck them". Part of the money earned "economizing on materials" were given to mafia. But still the best is yet to come. The ex president of the region called Molise, previous offender for illicit funding, is now accused of fraud and furgery in cement fornitures (given to his brother, who is the director of a building company). He (his name is Patricello) is now Europarlamentarian, representing, of course, Berlusconi's party. Zinzi, condemned (3 years of jail) for manslaughter for not taking preventative measures for landslides which caused 11 deaths, is now a Member of Italian Parliament, ergo he won't go in jail thanks to Berlusconi's law.

P.S.: 2 days ago a little earthquake happened in Messina (2.6, Richter Ladder). Seismology experts have said that the next earthquake in Messina will be a big one, similar to the one happened in 1908. I am of course really scared since our houses are all shit made. I just wonder how many disasters and tragedies must happen to change social and political conscience in this country. I pay taxes and have no infrastrucutre. I elect people but I'm not represented in Parliament. Law is just useless here, no one follows. Everyone just tries to earn money legally or (more often) illegally. Cba with this anymore to be honest. Cheers.

Last edited:
no matter where, all politicians are corrupt. Why? Pretty easy: Because humans in general are corrupt and just looking for their advantage.

ffs....doesn't Italian education teach punctuation?

haha i was just wondering: "how comes that none has showed up this time saying some bs about thread started by me as always?" ^^

You could really spare us, or at least me, such a poor comment :lol: but well anyway, I'll reply:

what's wrong? I've read my post again and I just forgot to write a bracket. Any other mistake, i think, just doesn't prevent you from understanding what i mean. Also this is a really big post and I'm talking about something I don't talk about usually. So, be kind and magnanimous and forgive some mistakes of mine.

Also let me tell u that such a comment in this kind of thread is really inapt imo.

Last edited:
corruption..u need 2 start shooting ur politicians ..god knows we here on the other side of adriatic should start 2 m8

that's actually the only solution I can see mate.

no matter where, all politicians are corrupt. Why? Pretty easy: Because humans in general are corrupt and just looking for their advantage.

Bart you are right about human nature. Yes, men usually look for their advantage only (altho they are as numerous as the good and honest people, more or less...maybe more :P). Is it just me who thinks that politics' aim should be the common goodness and health?

Well saint, ofc it should the objective of politics to be fair and good. But is it in reality? It's not. It's all about interest groups and about money. no matter where.
For the few who live in good conditions there have to me more to live in poor conditions.

Yes, i dont really think good about mankind. For me humans are too dumb, pervert, too selfish, dishonest and driven by animal instincts (sex, lust, etc) to be worth living.
Many just try to distract this truth with mindless consumption, sex, sports or believeing in a ridiculous "UBER-being" called god.
They are just to scared to see how it is: mankind is just a random coincidence and it doesnt actually matter if you or me lives or not, because everything is nonesense anyway.

Speaking about italy:
For me Berlusconi is a criminal and idiot. He's on the same level as G.W. Bush. Thanks lord italy is not as powerful as the USA, otherwise he would have started even dumber things.
And it wondered me that italians keep reelected him, but seeing the past, italy seemed to have troubles with politics anyway.

Ah well, that soudns quite depressing, but that's how it is. Now back to watch soccer (speaking about distraction) :P

Last edited:
human(1) > human(2)
if human(2) = or > human(1) then human(1) - human(2) = human(1)

simple mathematical equation to life unfortunately :(

In otherwords, we all want to be top of the food chain and it just can't happen :hangover:

but democracy is the best and being best it prevents politicians to be corrupt!

as long as democracy schedules that people have to delegate to someone else the power of making laws and of dealing with important things for the common wealth it will never be the best form of government.

You should know Kris that the real democracy took place only in Greece like 2500 years ago :lol:

it wasn't perfect too, but still way better than our democracy

saint:
dev_009779.jpg