Improper frequence combination?!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Stylefish

-)EaS*
Jun 9, 2001
Germany
Maybe someone can help me, when I start my PC, nothing happens, so I turn it off and end up in BIOS getting this message:

"During the last boot-up your system hung for improper frequency combination. Your system is now working in safe mode. To optimise the system performance and reliability, make sure the frequency combination conforms to the specifications of your CPU, DIMM and other connected devices"

Well, I can save and exit BIOS then and after about 3 or 4 attempts my PC starts just as it should then.

I hvent done any overclocking, my CPU runs at 2400Mhz (18x133). My mainboard is an ASUS P4B533, got 2x512mb ram, dont remember speed tho:/

Thanks for any ideas...

so you can get it working again after setting the cpu speed correctly or.. what?

try putting your bios settings to Safe defaults.. or something along those lines and see if you get the problem

if you dont.. try setting to optimised defaults.. and try again

I dont even have to set it correctly, I can just F10 and exit (its still 18x133), CPU speed is still the same.

Sometimes I get some CMOS error and CPU speed is set to 18x100 instead, so i have to change it back.

yep i would check ur battery, same thing happened with 2 of my pc's, checked the battery and it was practically dead. bought new battery and they worked fine.

how about using another multiplyer frequency? checked for bios updates? Tried to set it lower, but not at default and it still changes?

That error is slightly vague could be anyting related to clock gen. Check the frequency settings of ram, pci, and cpu FSB, also check ram timings, once youve done that make sure that the MB is working in a jumperfree mode, I believe on those asus boards you have the option of setting by jumper or via bios.

If that doesnt help reflash the bios, either update it or plain reflash current version.

If all that fails look elsewhere, possible that some other HW device is failing and causing the MB to hang at post, this tricks the MB into thinking its a bad OC or speed setting and throws up that error. In that case check gfx, soundcards and attached drives.