I want

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Well I think tbh I would rather just spend my money on a Radeon 9700 Pro.

Looking at the tests they did, especially in UT2k3, the 9800 didn't really blow the 9700 out the water until they turned all the AA anf AF up.

Given the choice I prefer fps over looks (to a certain degree) and I can't remember the last game I turned any AA or AF on.

It does look like a sweeeeet card :D Although when you take value for money into account, I think the 9700 is definitely the best buy atm.

nVidia are in a nasty situation now, the 9800 > FX in performance and the 9700 > FX in value for money. Wander what they will do to fight back? :D

i never had the AA on etc until i got my rad pro ;)

runs just as fast :D

the new cards do look very nice not worth getting tho over a rad 9700

wait for there r400 model

Nvidia will have to bring out something better soon, as they are a full product cycle behind ATI.

/me waits for 9800 Pro

Last edited:
sure does, looks just a little bigger then the ti4600

my rad 9700 pro has a fan like a 32mb card, looks shite but performance owns;)

Looks good indeed

However ;)

If u look it only beats the FX (noisy twat) when u stick the AA and AF up. Still its the best there is atm :)

This card is an improvement (not by much) to the already impressive R9700 Pro, but i think if you give Nvidia a little more time, they will produce something of a high standard to compete with this.

They will, naturally the RV35 is gonna be highly competative, but they need to get a move on developing it or it will be as much of a flop as the FX - by the time they get it out the 9800 will be half the price for the same performance.

Reports suggest at present the RV35 is at least 2 months away - any more than that and they are gonna be fighting a very tough battle :\

Agreed :)

But i do have a feeling for some reason that the NV35 will be better than the R9800

But as u say that wont matter if they dont get it out soonish, since ATi will be again working on something else.

the ddr2 seriously helps aswell aint seen that on gfx card before ( or i aint anyway )

think the best ting about it will be the price drop of the rad 9700 pro

i will get one when they reach 150mark or so

nVidias problem isn't with development, its with manufacturing. The Geforce FX first silicon taped out just before the Radeon 9700 was released last year, but it took TSMC (the firm that manufacturs nVidia's chips) 6 months to get manufacturing up to speed. Had the Geforce FX debuted at the right time it (just after the Rad 9700) it would have been competitive part. nVidia took a gamble moving to .13 early and lost.

However this means that NV35 should have been in development for a quite a while already, hence the estimated mere 2-3 month difference between the FX release and estimated NV35 release. I would expect the NV35 to beat the 9800 Pro, but by how much of a margin I don't know.

nVidia won't disappear in hurry. Think of the battle as the same as the early AMD Athlon - Intel PIV one. When Intel relased the PIV no self respecting person would buy one over the Athlon, but with a die scrink a few tweaks (bigger cache for example) and manufacturing refinements Intel wen't back on top.

You can't keep a good horse down. Things are just starting to get very interesting IMHO :D

Originally posted by Paa`
the ddr2 seriously helps aswell aint seen that on gfx card before ( or i aint anyway )

think the best ting about it will be the price drop of the rad 9700 pro

i will get one when they reach 150mark or so

The 9800 doesnt have DDRII atm, the FX does however.

the future 9800 Pro should have DDRII, as ive read it.

Yeah the RV350 is, but thats a lower clocked part (which means yeilds will be easier to get) and is 6 months later than NV30 was scheduled to debut. NV30 is out now, and we know TSMC have got their .13 process up to scratch, my point was it was due for release 6 months ago.