Hosting games from behind a router?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Spirit

<b>*********.net Treasurer</b>
Jul 29, 2001
Cambridge, UK
I have two PCs linked up to a router at home, which in turn (obviously!) is linked to my cable modem. I want to host UT and Halo games on my main puter, but am having some issues with the setup. If I run ipconfig on the computer itself, I only get the LAN IP which is no use to anyone, and if I give someone the router's external IP they cannot connect directly to my computer.

I don't 'believe' there is a firewall installed in the router, but I don't really know what security measures it has that might be blocking people trying to join. Likewise, I don't know how to configure the router to direct people joining to the correct computer etc.

Can anyone help me get this set up so I can host games from the computer whilst behind the router...? The router is the LinkSys

try this link to login to your router

http://192.168.0.1/
or this one
http://192.168.1.1/

if u get a prompt, user: admin, password: password

Should be port forwarding listed there somewhere, some routers have a pre-configured 'unreal' option to host a server, otherwise open port 7777 (i think). Make sure ppl connecting to you use that port too..

If that url doesn't work then i dunno :D

Last edited:
k at work atm so can't check, but I presume that takes me to the setup features for the router? :D So from there I just need to find out which ports UT and Halo use, and open those up? Will that compromise my security at all, if those ports are always open? Tnx mate :)

Yup that should take you to the local web admin of your router, from there you can change all the setttings

It shouldn't affect security but just only leave it open as long as you're using it. Your router does have a firewall i think, so it will keep blocking all the other ports.

Your manual should tell you how to login to your router anyway, it may be a different url and user/pass, and it should tell you how to open or 'forward' ports.

wont compromise ur security as long as u only open the ports being used for ur games and nothing else is "running" on that port that ppl could connect to..

u also need to port forward the ports to the pc ur running the servers on like ck mentioned

see it as this inet -> router -> several pc's .. when a connection comes from the inet to the router the router doesnt know to which pc it should send the connection to. so it doesnt send it at all :) normally when webbrowsing and/or gaming the connections are made from the client/pc towards the inet which isnt a problem..

hope that helps anyhow ;)

edit: i think ut default ports are 7777 and 7778 (query) .. and there's the port(s) used for advertising ur server on the master list.. (i dont think you have to forward those ports but just open them up in the firewall settings

Read up on NAT, to get an idea what you are doing first, then forward the ports in question, ie 7777 udp(I think?) to the machine doing the hosting:

ie if:

external ip: 193.88.44.22
internal ip: 192.168.0.2

Your nat table should look sumat to this effect

forward udp 7777 -> 192.168.0.2

then ofcourse, you want to make sure that your dhcp lease doesnt run out and give you a new ip, or alternatively, bind the ip to the machine by mac address.

People will then connect to 193.88.44.22:7777, the router will forward the request to the server, and voila.

Make sure you're using the right port and type (tcp / udp)...

most games need TCP and UDP ports (you can look up which ones exactly in the manual, not always the same) routers can be a pain in the ass, took me more than a year to configure mine properly :rolleyes: :D

also every router is different and you might want to make sure that every PC has its own IP as port forwarding wont work otherwise (at least not for me router, i have to enter the port and the IP adress where i want it to be forwarded to)

:bandit:

Sounds like I'm gonna have me some fun tonight ;)

Thanks for the advice guys, will post back here if I have any trouble getting it set up :D

Spirit said:
Sounds like I'm gonna have me some fun tonight ;)

Thanks for the advice guys, will post back here if I have any trouble getting it set up :D

just ignore em they making it too complicated. If someone makes something sound complicted it usually just means they don't know what they are talking about or are trying to make themselves look good. twats :p

I got the same router, and yes it has a built-in hardware firewall. Assuming you haven't changed any default settings, here's exactly what to do with no bulshit added in like in previous posts:

1) put http://192.168.1.1/ into explorer then a username/pass will pop up, leave user name blank and put admin into password.

2) Click on the advanced tab at the top

3) Click on the forwarding tab at the top

4) Now put 7777 ~ 7777 in the "Service Port Range" on two rows (there will be several free rows) (or enter whatever port u need if u are wanting to host on custom port numbers, the default for UT is just 7777 tho so thats fine)

5)select protocol=both for both rows

6)on one of the rows put a 1 in the little ip box on the right and a 2 on the other row. Thats just becuase the main computer's internal ip address (different from your main external ip) is 192.168.1.1 and the second computer will be 192.168.1.2 and a 3rd would be 192.168.1.3 for example.

7) then click apply and reboot

8) Another problem I had with hosting UT was that if you are using windows98 you should have both netBUI and TCP/IP added on your network (right-click on network neighbourhood and go to properties, add etc)

and thats it sorted.....

just remember do as I say and agree with me at all times and you can't go wrong with anything :D

Diffrent routers have diffrent ways to be configured, so unless you use the same type your just a "twat" yourself :P

Apoc said:
Diffrent routers have diffrent ways to be configured, so unless you use the same type your just a "twat" yourself :P

if u read my post....twat.....ull see I say I have the same router....so now you are a double twat......doh!!

take note of the last lines of my previous post m8...... :p:

Correct me if I'm wrong (actually don't; i know i'm right and I cba seeing anymore stupid jokes) but isn't it better to try and help, rather than not helping at all? and at any rate, i know you're winding people up but as it turns out i was right, without even having that router. that makes me the best, doh!!

Extase said:
Correct me if I'm wrong (actually don't; i know i'm right and I cba seeing anymore stupid jokes) but isn't it better to try and help, rather than not helping at all? and at any rate, i know you're winding people up but as it turns out i was right, without even having that router. that makes me the best, doh!!

no no no no!! better to only help if u know what u talking about cos otherwise u risk confusing the person in need of help even more!

god damn I was right again :D

you should only "try and help" when I cba to help someone....then it's allowed :p:

anyway when have I ever tried to wind anyone up??? ahem and er can I be un-banned from the good bits of the forum yet? :thumb: I promise to be good :D

foxy: stfu.

If you took the time to actually read the posts posted, there was loads of helpful stuff there. There was nothing incorrect, but seeing as we're all on different gear, its a bit hard doing product specific support, innit? To me it seems more like YOU don't know what you're talking about, but learned to navigate a webgui, impressive that... now fuck off and take the insults elsewhere, pls.

foxy u forgot to setup halo for him :rolleyes:

maybe some of it was too complicated .. but afaik spirit isnt that bad with comps so i figured with the info posted above he could manage..

i dont think there was any other way of helping coz there's a small chance some1 with the same router etc would come on here and help him..

as for the making ourselves look good.. rofl not at all just trying to help but if that's too much i sure hope u dont ever need any help coz i'll refrain myself for getting arsed to type anything for you :)

Last edited:
:rofl: @ Foxy, awwww he's so harmless really ;) Thnx everyone for the advice and for helping out - I should get some time to get it set up tonight or 2moro night, so I'll let ya know how it does :D

I'm running XP Pro btw Foxeh, not 98 :)