Helpppppp :::((((*:rff

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

-CrackKing-

Suprise, cockfags!
Jun 8, 2001
Located
FINALLY I GOT MY NEW CPU.....
put it in my new computer.......

works fine.....boots, finds the cpu, finds the hard drive, RAM etc.

However i don't have a windows CD to hand, so wanted to just use the hard drive im on atm.

Well i start the comp, finds everything like it should... lists the drives, bios type, then changes screen to list cpu, l2 cache, dram frequency, PCI listing...yeh that screen....

however on this screen, right before it wuld normally load windows, it hangs. I have messed with every single setting in the bios but nothing works.

I tried taking everything out apart from one stick of ram and video card, but still it hangs on this screen (well not hanging, it still has this flashing cursor thing... but it does not progress to a command prompt, or load windows when the hard drive is in.)

PLEASE HELP :((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((((

well if your new CPU is much better than the old one it should neep much more power if you have a loosy PSU this might be the problem, see if you can get a betetr one and try it, thats the only reason i could think of but as you tried without the whole sutff, hmm dunno but cannot think of anything else atm

What CPU did you have before and what CPU do you have now?

Whats the powerreadings on your PSU? (there is usually a sticker on it somewhere)

What motherboard are you using?

Cooler mounted correctly? Check temp in bios to see if it is very high. Sometimes Athlons are damaged if they aremounted with too much brute force.

Ok i am running on a 300w PSU.
The motherboard is an Asus a7v (simply that, no numbers after)

The CPU is new, an Duron 1.1ghz, and i've not used a CPU on this motherboard before, it has been used fine before though by UK :)

Cooler is mounted fine and the BIOS temperature gives a CPU reading of about 38-41 most times.

It stops booting at the same place every single time.

This is the place just after it runs the memory test, then quickly displays the CPU, RAM, CPU level 1 and level 2 cache settings, PCI IRQ settings etc etc (in a big table..)...

Just below this table is where it stop booting... and where (if you booted from a floppy) it would check to see if there was a floppy in the disk there... (but like i say it just stops here, doesnt check for anything.. even tho i tried Enabling/Disabling every drive in BIOS for boot-up)

The green light on the floppy drive is always on (it isnt faulty). The CD drive works normal, and is found in the BIOS by it's correct name, but I cannot boot from it (even setting the CD to first in BIOS boot up - in fact i tried every combination of boot up settings pretty much :\)

I've tried almost every setting in the bios, turning it on/off. I've taken the battery from the BIOS for 30 mins. I've tried running the comp with just video card and RAM. Still crashes in the same place

Well I checked ASUS homepage... according to the tech sheet it supports up to 1Ghz CPUS. However according to their processor support sheet later revisions of the board support as high as duron 1.3 Ghz. It might be worth checking your MBs version as well as the bios version although I doubt this is the cause.

The green light on the floppy drive is always on (it isnt faulty).

It didnt do this before, right? Was the floppy cable by any chance unplugged from mainboard or drive while you installed the cpu? Floppy cables can usually be attached two ways (at least mine can) and if you attach them the wrong way floppy wont work but drive light will be on all the time. Even if this isnt the case Id still suggest unplugging the floppy from mainboard during boot if the drive isnt behaving as usual.

thx for your time so far :)
It didnt do this before, right? Was the floppy cable by any chance unplugged from mainboard or drive while you installed the cpu? Floppy cables can usually be attached two ways (at least mine can) and if you attach them the wrong way floppy wont work but drive light will be on all the time. Even if this isnt the case Id still suggest unplugging the floppy from mainboard during boot if the drive isnt behaving as usual.

Well the floppy was not in when i put the CPU in.. i put it in after i had tried running the computer with only a video card and 1 stick of RAM in it. But the same thing happened both times.

I just went and changed the floppy cable back round like u said, but, even still the green light remained on all the time (?). :\

hmmmmmm :mad: :shout: :mad:

Try resetting the BIOS (use the function keys like described in the bios itself, or use the "clear cmos" jumper on the mobo)

oh btw, have u flashed the latest BIOS avail for the mobo?

Well i took the battery out the board for 30 mins, dunno if that reset it or not, as i couldnt find a button to do that in the manual.

Im not sure how i'd flash the bios if it cannot read any kind of media :S

about resetting bios, check manual, somewhere there is described how to "clear cmos" using a jumper, not a button :P

turn off power, set the "clear cmos" jumper, turn on power, turn off power, remove jumper, turn on power, voila! cmos cleared :D

k few things:

1 check the IDE cables are the correct way round (im a cock and i did it:)), as said b4 - check floppy

next check you can boot from that floppy drive (use the boot disk i sent ya earlier)

then try a OS CD that you know is bootable from

and do that shit thePOOF suggested

If the floppy light is always on it shows the cable is mucked up. If you look at the cable it should have a red stripe on one side, this corresponds to pin1, now if you look at the port on the motherboard on one side of the port will be printed the number1. Make sure the red stripe is on that side, now if you look at the rest of the cable you should see two floppy connectors with a twisted section in the middle, the connector you want is the one after the twisted section, usually the end connector. Check in the bios that your floppy drive is setup as floppyA 1.44MB

That should get the floppy working and allow you to flash the BIOS if needed :)

andy check that the BIOS has set up the chip properly

make it auto to detect the cpu i think its hanging cos the cpu isnt set up right

turn off power, set the "clear cmos" jumper, turn on power, turn off power, remove jumper, turn on power, voila! cmos cleared

In my limited experience you don't even need to turn the power on to clear the cmos. Just put the clear cmos jumper on for a few seconds and then put it back where it was.

I know this works on a lot of MBs cos I do it a lot at work when ppl forget their power on passwords.

Not that it helps you at all. I just wanted to sound clever.

One thing that might help is to check the boot order in the bios settings. If your floppy is fucked and it's trying to boot from that first then your gonna have a problem. Set the boot order to c: first and give it a try.

Often there is a setting in there that without turning my pc off and then on again (and I cant be arsed to do that fs) I cant remember exactly but I think it's something like - report no floppy drive to OS - make sure it's disabled.

Sounds to me like a bios prob where it is trying to find a boot device that either isn't working or isn't there.

If you your HD as the first thing in your boot order, have you got the cable for that plugged in the right way round?

That's all I can think of atm.

Thanks again for taking time to answer :)

Originally posted by thePROPHET!
about resetting bios, check manual, somewhere there is described how to "clear cmos" using a

jumper, not a button :P

turn off power, set the "clear cmos" jumper, turn on power, turn off power, remove jumper, turn on

power, voila! cmos cleared :D

Doesnt seem to be any kind of jumper like that on the board, i've been checking and re-checking the

manual for about 30 mins but can't see it or anything .. :\ I took the battery out for another hour,

but it didn't reset the BIOS like i thought it would... so I'm not sure how to reset BIOS then :\

1 check the IDE cables are the correct way round (im a cock and i did it), as said b4 - check

floppy

next check you can boot from that floppy drive

Yes I checked and they are (well my IDE cable has labbeled on it: System, Master, Slave, lol) :\ The

BIOS finds the drives np too... and also, the same problem happens even without any IDE drives or

cables or anything attached :(

As suggested again i turned round floppy cable, this time there is no green light at all lol..

twisted it round, no light still :\ Tried enabling 'Seek Floppy on Boot' but this doesnt get me

anywhere either.

The Hard disk /does/ whiirrrrrrr up as soon as the comp is started, just nothing thereafter...

load fail safe settings in bios

Can't see that in BIOS either :\

andy check that the BIOS has set up the chip properly

make it auto to detect the cpu i think its hanging cos the cpu isnt set up right

Yeh it auto detected when i first put it in, and so i double checked and it's correct using the auto

detect features. Also tried running it slower but same error :\ So left it on Auto detect for now.

One thing that might help is to check the boot order in the bios settings. If your floppy is

fucked and it's trying to boot from that first then your gonna have a problem. Set the boot order to

c: first and give it a try.

Have done this also, and tried booting from every device. Tried with floppy first, hard drive first,

cd first, floppy first with everything else disabled, vice versa, eveything enabled with floppy

first, hard drive first everything enabled, cd first everything disabled, cd first floppy 2nd hdd

3rd... pretty much most combinations i could try :\

Sounds to me like a bios prob where it is trying to find a boot device that either isn't

working or isn't there.

Yeh i also thought this at first, but as above, i tried loadsa combinations and disabling floppy/cd

from bootup and changing whether their 1st,2nd,3rd in boot up etc etc etc :\

I'm totally out of ideas myself now, really have tried every setting in BIOS, re-loading factory

defaults and then going thru the whole process of enabling/disabling most options.

I did notice this however just now, PCI IRQ settings

BUS NO. Device No. Func. No. Vendor I.D Device.................................IRQ
0 . . . . . . . . . 4. . . . . . . .1. . . . . . 1106. .IDE Controller..........14/15
0. . . . . . . . . .4. . . . . . . .2. . . . . . 1106..Serial Bus Controller......5
0. . . . . . . . . .4. . . . . . . .3. . . . . . 1106..Serial Bus Controller......5
0. . . . . . . . . .17. . . . . . .0. . . . . . 105A..Mass Storage Controller.....10
0. . . . . . . . . .0. . . . . . . .0. . . . . . 1002.. Display Controller........11

Problem wouldnt be 2 serial bus on same IRQ would it?

I no jack schitt about irq's, but i tried setting IRQ 5 as N/A, tho same thing happened :|