help the dumbass!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

grizz

Drugstore Cowboy
Jun 8, 2001
in the trees!
I am thinking of getting a PC at some point (to replace my dirty macintosh) but dont know a whole lot about them. can someone tell me if the stuff below is good? i know the processor is good and i have heard that chipset is sweet but i know jack about motherboards...will prolly go for a Ti500 graphics card to supplement this little lot unless someone tells me of any potential conflicts....

AMD Athlon XP 1800+ processor with 128KB L1 Cache and 256KB L2 Cache, with a 266 MHz front side bus and featuring Quantispeed™ technology

Asus A7V266 motherboard with VIA KT266A chipset

well i am kind of - but this particular one isnt very fast...if i could afford a top end G4 i wouldnt be asking PC questions i assure you....

:D

Ooops, forget´em.

Thanks for reminding me.

As for Your Questions, forget the Asus Crap Mobo, get an EPOX, ABIT or MSI instead.

Nope, Asus are the best IMHO, certainly better than Abit and MSI, although never used an EPOX. Abit are usually pretty good for overclocking tho :D

Originally posted by Phear
Nope, Asus are the best IMHO
Wrong!

Asus are worst Mobo´s out there. They have an annoying 10 second Boot Delay! I mean, they are the slowest Mobo´s till your OS starts loading up.

Enuff said and just my 0.02€

I said IMHO poof :D A slightly longer boot time means nowt to me, I turn my PC on once a day and turn it off once a day :D (I'd leave it on all the time but I have a habbit of using excessive amounts of uber noisey fans). Stability, esp overclocked & features are the most important things to me :)

Besides I currently have an Abit mobo anyway :lol:

more questions....

the PC package im interested in also comes with an creative audigy soundcard which im informed is rather good, even though its way above what i really need. it is also supplied with some creative DTT2200 desktop theatre speakers.

my question is, is there any way these speakers can be used with a playstation 2, without having to buy some sort of amp thingy to go in between....cos ill prolly always use headphones with the PC....

Motherboards Abit KR7A (it MUST be the KR7A, not the KR7!!) and Epox 8K7A+ are both great overclockers capable of fsb's over 200 (with a little soldering ofcourse :)) But even without soldering, they go pretty high, so U get most out of Ur CPU... Abit more expensive though..

BTW: XP, Mobo, Audigy, Geforce3 TI-500... Sounds like you COULD actually afford a highend G4... :hammer:

BTW: Be sure to get a good brand of Geforce. Bad chipsets takes a lot of power out of the GPU..

Originally posted by .oOo.BLUB.oOo.
Motherboards Abit KR7A (it MUST be the KR7A, not the KR7!!) and Epox 8K7A+ are both great overclockers capable of fsb's over 200 (with a little soldering ofcourse :)) But even without soldering, they go pretty high, so U get most out of Ur CPU... Abit more expensive though..

BTW: XP, Mobo, Audigy, Geforce3 TI-500... Sounds like you COULD actually afford a highend G4... :hammer:

BTW: Be sure to get a good brand of Geforce. Bad chipsets takes a lot of power out of the GPU..

thanks for the tips blub :) must point out though that a top G4 would be around £2800, and you can buy 2 of the PC's ive described for that....

well kr7a is expensive and if abit still has the same quality as before have the warranty number handy:\

8kha+ is a good performer, tho some bios issues with faulty chips but they are fixed in newer boards

msi board is ok if you don't oc, it just has some crappy voltage regulators and the voltages to cpu and 5 volts are quite jumpy

asus is just WAY tooe xoensive and what i've learned from my k7m they aren't that great in quality either

so get the epox like me:D

btw, if overclockin epox is easy to voltmod, nowadays all boards seem to suffer from crappy voltage regulation tho and maybe you need to mod the 5 volt line but that's another story:)

Well, the point of all that useless overclocking crap was, that even a total newbie can get more juice out of all components simply by adjusting fsb in BIOS on a Epox or Abit board. And as far as BLUB knows, the KT266A chipset is the best there is ATM. That makes a difference. I would deffo go for Epox or Abit. But really important to get the KT266A chipset and not the flawed KT266. So KR7A or Epox 8K7A+ is the ones I would buy...

I got Abit KT7-RAID with crappy KT133 chipset, but I can STILL take my fsb to 120Mhz, giving me theoretically a 20% faster system. I was lucky though, I have never heard anybody with my board getting stable above 117Mhz fsb. Or BLUB just be more clever than the rest :D