Hard Drives

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Which make hard drive is best?

• Western Digital

Votes: 16 66.7%
  • Maxtor

Votes: 2 8.3%
  • Seagate

Votes: 6 25.0%

• Total voters
Imo Seagates are the best. And they even come with a 5 year warranty, but u do pay sligly more :(

anything is better than IBM/Hitachi tbh. (I can only comment on IDE drives tho)

I have an IDE 7200 rpm 120gb Western Digital, has been very reliable and is also very quiet :), wd gets my vote. I also have a 40 gb Quantum Fireball that is a noisy piece of crap, still, at least it hasn't broken yet.

I have only ever had Maxtor, one was faulty which I still kept for 9month before F@TBOY sent it back :D. Never had any others die on me. However I know a lot of people who have had problems with Maxtor. I am still voting Maxtor though :P

well ive only had maxtor, and its what my familys machine use, but they do seem noisy and alot of people report probs with them recently, most people ive asked reccomend WD drives, and u lot seem too aswell :] ty

well I've only ever used maxtor inside computers I think and I've never had one fail so I cant complain. I have a 80G external USB2 westerndigital HD and that is really good if not the best or sleekest. I also have a 250G external USB2 LACIE hard drive (designed at Porsche apparently), it looks better that the WD one, is smaller and seems faster. However it is more noisy and the casing makes a humming noise which I resolve by hitting it occasionally. :smash: Mind you when I think about it 250G external for 120 pounds is pretty damn good whatever way you look at it.

Seagate is the poor mans Western Digital :]

Both recommended, most of the disks I am responsible for (100+ machines) are Seagate drives, and it is very rare they let me down. We did have one brand new Seagate disk start erupting smoke and small flames when it was first put into a machine. Luckily it happened almost instantly, and not when we were on lunch :cow:

western digital, never had one giv eme any probs... IBM chug tho, their deskstar shoyldve been called a deathstar, useless

Had three western digital drives all worked flawless even after being dropped/left to gather dust/crap thrown in a cupboard all work 100% np even after a few years running.

pykenike said:
is there SO much diffrence nowadays... okay there is always a diffrence but not that big is it?
IBM/Hitachi are Deathstars, like hogo said. There is that much difference.
The others arent THAT different from each other IMO, but WD seem to be a tad more reliable.

Reactions: pykenike
Maxtor is cheap, they give away more heat than many other drives but are stable as long as you got proper cooling. I had no probs with em whatsoever.

TuT said:
Maxtor is cheap, they give away more heat than many other drives but are stable as long as you got proper cooling. I had no probs with em whatsoever.

thats true indeed. i recently bought me some 200gig maxtors (DiamondMax 10 (with NCQ)) and i noticed them getting hot as f00k lol. Way hotter then the 160gig maxtors (dm9) i have, but then again the new ones are a bit faster i reckon. And like u said, with proper cooling its all fine

And wot Nephilim said is true too. Not much difference in any hdd makings i guess. Just that some ore a bit more quiet, or get a bit hotter, but i think they are all good in their own way,

But, WD has something other makings dont have as yet. And thats a 10.000rpm drive (raptor). K, they are like 4 times as expensive per GB, but there is NO other sata/pata drive can even keep up with a Raptor. The amazing thing about em also, is that they dont even get THAT hot, and especially they are much more quiet then the 200gig maxtors. Well done WD :D