Half-Life 2 Performance

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Some very interesting stuff in there and I'm also glad I'm a Radeon owner at present ;)

But I do have a question; how does the 9700 Pro fit into this? Afaik the 9800 is just an optimised version of the 9700, but are there any differences in Dx9 compatibility, advancements etc? Obviously the 9700 is fully compatible with Dx9, but has it been optimised much more for the 9800?

Basically what I'm asking is will the ~10% performance increase from 9700 --> 9800 remain the same on a fully optimised Dx9 game or will the difference become larger as the techology advances? :)

Spirit said:
But I do have a question; how does the 9700 Pro fit into this? Afaik the 9800 is just an optimised version of the 9700, but are there any differences in Dx9 compatibility, advancements etc? Obviously the 9700 is fully compatible with Dx9, but has it been optimised much more for the 9800?

Basically what I'm asking is will the ~10% performance increase from 9700 --> 9800 remain the same on a fully optimised Dx9 game or will the difference become larger as the techology advances? :)

:confused: :P

I just want "Captain nVidia" Sobo to see this so we can read his essay of "500 reasons why Ati sucks"

i brought my 9800 pro with half life 2 in mind glad to see i made the right choice :D and just to think i almost spent an extra 60 notes on a 5900 ultra

:lol: pld jap

spirit, i think it'll be a bit more than 10%
afaik the rad9800 can calculate a lot more shader commands per second than the 9700, and since dx9 uses a lot of shaders (afaik again) the 9800 has a a greater advantage there than in dx7 or 8 applications
then theres also the bigger and faster memory (256/2.8ns vs 128/3.3ns)

still better then an nvidia tho :D

Sauron said:
:lol: pld jap

spirit, i think it'll be a bit more than 10%
afaik the rad9800 can calculate a lot more shader commands per second than the 9700, and since dx9 uses a lot of shaders (afaik again) the 9800 has a a greater advantage there than in dx7 or 8 applications
then theres also the bigger and faster memory (256/2.8ns vs 128/3.3ns)

still better then an nvidia tho :D

Well I've now found a review that included the 9700 and again was pleasantly suprised :D The difference between the 9800 and the 9700 in the HL2 benchmarks in between 5-12% through out the tests, more than acceptable! :D