Great blog post about the music industry, oink shutting down, etc etc - worth a read

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

uZi

Bannned
Jun 8, 2001
South Wales
http://www.demonbaby.com/blog/2007/10/when-pigs-fly-death-of-oink-birth-of.html

I've only been buying from indie labels for a while now.. a good 2 years probably. I go to gigs, buy tshirts, etc - anything I know is going directly to the band, or to a label who actually gives a shit about music rather than just making money. I just wish the general population would follow suit and stop chowing down on the bullshit that the record industry keeps on marketing at them.

I'm not saying every single band out there on a major label is shit.. just that most people making big money out of music are shit.

Oink was good idd. Shame it's gone :(
Good article btw. Long but this guy has a point there.

I already read it a couple of days ago, its an intelligent post, pretty much i agree with. Not all tho. And oink... was great :)

Good blog post.

I've been yapping on about the CD being absolute for so many years now.

It's a method to distribute 0's and 1's from point A to point B as we all know so well now - that is obvious. The digital era produced the CD but killed the industry.

You're fighting a battle trying to get people to change their minds on even the most obvious things (GWB is bad, the environment is changing, Iraq has no WMD) but I very much doubt that the fanaticism for music will ever be changed due to so many different genres of people defending it.

Cut the middleman, fund bands with institutions/government grants/SME funding/Venture Capital. Whatever - it's a business. Sell your data directly to the customer just like every other digital industry. Keep the money in your respective country and create jobs.

But the industry isn't going to disappear without a fight.

What would be wrong with bands creating their own websites and then hosting DRM-protected mp3s on their sites for their music? They could do the same for their music videos and people could pay £1 for downloading each single or say £5 for the full album. nstead of CD sleeves they could package their albums in webpages. I think it would work, and the DRM might stop the copying. Would this work?