Gladius

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Inferno

Greatness Personified
Jun 8, 2001
Canada
Well, I came home a few days ago with 4 games: Shenmue 2 (crap) and Jet Set Radio Future (fun in short bursts) for the Xbox, Shining Force for the GBA (awesome), and Gladius also for the Xbox but it's on every console. Gladius is, obviously, the one I want to talk about.

Gladius is a turn-based Tactical-RPG like Final Fantasy Tactics or the aforementioned Shining Force series. However, unlike FFTactics, this game has unfortunately been overlooked by many people. The game takes place in a fantasy world where gladiator games are the main form of entertainment and you control one of two schools (you pick before you start, either beginner or advanced). If you liked FFT (and/or the more recent FFTA) you'll probably like this, too. However, there are some differences; the developers have added a swing meter which works a lot like what you'd find in a golf game (you try to stop the marker on a small line to get a critical hit). Of course, if you don't want to do that you can automate it. Keep in mind, though, that if you don't like tactical-RPGs then you'll probably be bored out fo your mind. I, however, love this game.

Anyway, has anyone else played it?

Come on, people, surely there are some strategy-RPG fans hanging around. I've played more than 30 hours of this game and I'm only about half way through; you have to work your way to the championship for 4 different countries and I'm just about to go to my 2nd championship. The game has a sort of rock-paper-scissors type of thing going for it; heavy fighters beat medium fighters, medium fighters beat light fighters, and light fighters beat, you guessed it, heavy fighters (though that last one isn't as obvious, it's about dodging more attacks and such instead of extra damage). This can get annoying at times like when the game makes you use mediums to fight heavies (there are sometimes restrictions to which units you can use in certain fights). However, the developers did a good job of balancing the difficulty, battles like the one I just mentioned are possible to beat, you just need to think about it. Of course, the way the game is set up, you can just ignore a battle if it's giving you too much trouble; I'd explain how they do it but that would take way too long (it's pretty simple but it's difficult to explain quickly).

So, to reiterate, play this game.

Shenmue 2 has some of the worst controls I've ever experienced. You want go left? Wait a minute while you slowly turn in that direction; he moves like a car (you still move forward a little bit while you're turning. And how about the learning curve? The developers decided that it would be fun to throw you into a battle against two people WITHOUT TELLING YOU HOW TO FIGHT. It's never EVER a good idea to assume the person played the first game. Oh, and "Which way is Wan Chai?", "Where's Wan Chai?", "How do I get to Wan Chai?", "Can you tell me how to get to Wan Chai?", etc. The dialogue is so bad it's amusing.

I loved the battle system in "Hybrid Heaven" on N64. (A game nobody has ever played, probably)
The game also had a very nice storyline, nice character design, shit control and horribly boring environments.
But the battlesystem, oh.. the battlesystem! (and the music was nice!)

I tried struggling through Shenmue's horrible controls and obscenely repetitious dialogue until I had my ass handed to me by the first two thugs I had to fight (because there was no tutorial or anything). I must say, though, that the chase scene with the kid (right before the fight) was awesome.

Inferno said:
I tried struggling through Shenmue's horrible controls and obscenely repetitious dialogue until I had my ass handed to me by the first two thugs I had to fight (because there was no tutorial or anything). I must say, though, that the chase scene with the kid (right before the fight) was awesome.

Pleeeeeeeeeeease play on and get used to it. It's so good. I promise :P