GeForce FX 5600 SE vs Radeon 9xxx

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

if you buy a 4200, get a 128 MB version - I have a 64 MB card and the new games dont like it.

the Club3D cards that bart mentioned use slower (in comparison to e.g. sapphire) ram (ns) from what I know (off the top of my head anyway).

i think about getting a normal sapphire 9600, they perfectly match the 130 € (costs 127€) and are ( i think :confused: ) better than the geforce fx's

but on the other hand everyone keeps telling me how much better the pro is and that it would be cool to have in my system (2000 mhz, 512 ram) :bawling: (costs 163€)

on ebay i saw a 9600 pro 128 mb for 142 €, but until i get used to ebay and have an account there it will be gone anyway :D

Last edited:
rad 9600 xt

or

rad 9600 pro

First one is obviously better and from what im told both beat ti4200 range cards easily and the equilivent fx range.

Good prices for both extend ur budget a tiny bit and get one of the above cards..

rad 9600 xt

or

rad 9600 pro

First one is obviously better and from what im told both beat ti4200 range cards easily and the equilivent fx range.
thats true
the XT is simply a bit higher cloocked.

runs cooler too cause of new core size and some process or some shit.. heard they run very quiet very cool overclock well and perform great shame ati cancelled the rad 9500 pro that was the best ever mid range card but the 9600 xt does very well now :)

the 5900 is considerably faster on current DX8 games, yes.
on DX9 games, the 9600 puts up much more of a fight, and depending on the driver version of the 5900, its faster than the nvidia card, or slower.
the diff is that the 5900 is nvidia's 2nd top model (5950 is the "5900XT", before anyone mentions it :p: ), whereas the 9600 is the price/performance-model and doesnt aim at the highest-end market.

dont wanna go into details but i will get close to nothing for christmas so 200 € are much for me atm :P so the best price/quality for me to go with seems to be the sapphire 9600 pro :D

Ice said:
dont wanna go into details but i will get close to nothing for christmas so 200 € are much for me atm :P
haben die dir wieder die sozialhilfe gekürzt? :p:

And yes a Radeon 9600 pro is the best atm :mosher:

Btw i read that Microsoft work on DirectX9.1, this version will include a Fx-shader optimization. So the FX-cards can show their advanced shader extensions.

Last edited:
imo the 9600 Pro or XT are the best to go for atm. The XT is the better card but not by much, and it doesn't actually overclock better at all.

The main difference between the XT and the Pro is that the XT has an "overdrive" facility which, when enabled, allows the card to intelligently overclock automatically depending on what is required by whatever application you are running. This means when overdrive is enabled you can't overclock the card at all (or can but it makes no difference), and when it isnt enabled it just operates as a standard 9600 Pro.

The 5900 is not bad at E200 but you will get much more power for your money with the 9600 Pro, most especially with Dx9 applications which is what the future holds. If you can afford the little extra go for the XP, but if not I wouldn't worry about it, just get a 9600 Pro and overclock it a bit and you wont notice any difference :)

I can personally vouch for Sapphire cards - I have a Sapphire 9800 Pro 128mb myself atm and it runs like a absolute dream. I have a £15 arctic cooler on it which is half the noise of the standard ATI fan, and its overclocked from 378/337 to 441/369 and runs without a glitch in sight. I've had it up to 482 / 394 without crashing which is an amazing overclock :eek:

http://service.futuremark.com/compare?2k3=1586683

Bart said:
haben die dir wieder die sozialhilfe gekürzt? :p:

ich bin noch schüler und ich habe nicht vor irgendwann mal von sozialhilfe zu leben :p:

aber ein lottogewinn oder erbe von einem unbekannten in südamerika lebenden verwandten oder ähnliches wäre nicht schlecht :rolleyes:

Says there your running in 4 x agp mode ? for a rad 9800 pro that is'nt good i think ?

those top end cards do better with 8 x agp unlike some of the lower one's ( ti range of gf4 )

8xAGP doesnt make any diff for the cards performance these days, it will take some time for that.
I think?

That was said about gf4's for a rad 9800 pro is a much faster card...

8x AGP means nothing and wont do for a long while.

My 9800 is running in 4x AGP and if I go to futuremark and compare approximate matches for my set-up (CPU and GPU speeds) mine takes the #1 spot by 600 points irrespective of AGP speeds...