[FreeNAS] Empty Emailreports

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Bart

Mister Mediocre
Jan 10, 2002
Germany
Hi,

since a long time i'm using FreeNAS as operating system for my NAS system.
I used this weekend to upgrade to the newest version (0.69) and set everything perfectly.

It works charming, but one problem aint solved yet. Everytime i get an Emailreport from the NAS about anything (status, warning, test) the topic looks how it should, but the body (content) of the email is empty.

I checked the emails with Outlook, Thunderbird and even with webmail. Everytime i see that i see nothing.
Anyone uses FreeNAS and know what caused this strange behaviour.

Can you try sending via a different SMTP server?
Although I've played with FreeNAS a few times, I've never bothered setting up the alerting.
How easy is it to rebuild a raid 5 when a disk fails?

I'm using the onboard Raid1, the driver for the Raid-controller is included in FreeNAS.
So it depends on your controller. Software Raid5 aint adviceable, it would need too much performance without an extra XOR-processor.

Dunno if FreeNAs allows Hot-swap. But i could bet on that. after i added an USB-Drive after freenas ran for several hours, it got recognized immidiatly and i could use it. So PLUGnPlay is a feature in freenas.

Will test with a different smpt server when i am back from work.

the problem i had with freenas over the years where the rubbish menue bar at the left side. With the new built they finally fixed it. It's like a windows menue bar now.
Also finally i can check the cpu-temp and the smart values of my raid disks. Overall an upgrade to 0.69 is a must.

Last edited:
Are you sure its even supposed to write anything in the main body?
The error or warning you get in the topic might be all that it has to write.

Oh and Raid5 performance isn't anything to worry about on software RAID unless you have a really weak processor (as like older then a PIII)
You'll never get very good performance on those software RAIDs anyway, whatever RAID level you use.

If you like them sorta appliances, check out Openfiler too.. I tried it not long ago, its pretty cool as well.

Last edited:
Yes i am sure that there are stuff missing in the content.

i wanted to have a status report (everyday at X o'clock), but an email with a status report without content is pretty useless.