France x Portugal

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Portugal are a poor side who fluked there way through imo. was inevitable france was gona win, even with only a mediocre performance

Torpedo said:
Lol?

Crouch played pretty well when required, plus there is plenty:

Jermain Defoe
Andy Johnson
Darius Vassell
Darren Bent
Martin Paterson at Stoke :P
Even James Beattie :P

Crouch is underrated IMO!

But Pauleta, looks about as mobile as a concrete Elephant with arthritis - Yes I gave this similie much thought! :P

Are any of those names you mentioned world class? Including Crouch? 'Pretty well' isn't exactly inspiring either, is it? Yeah, England have a lot of strikers, but only two of them are good or consistent enough for a genuine first team place - and Owen got injured and Rooney was a victim of Sven's formation. And even Owen is a bit over-rated, riding on his 'scored three goals when he was 17' thing for the rest of his career.

And I guess Portugal have a similar problem: quite a few strikers - not enough are really good.

Please no irate England fans flaming me for this - it's just an opinion, OK? Jesus...

i agree absolutly with what Gaz said

the team has no sense of fair play or sportsmanship and will attempt anything to cheat a player off the pitch or get a penalty, diving, surounding the ref, hedbutts .... thier just dirty and have no class, they showed it against Holland, England and now France ... good riddence

come on france.

Hmm I dont agree with all this "Every one who plays must be world class". If all the top 12 teams, who would be entitled to a claim to have world class players in all positions, then it would take away the whole meaning of the term. World class is a small elite group of players. 30 at most, England have about 4 or 5. For a striker you need goals, if you can score them in Europes top leagues, its a pretty good chance you will score against the best. Darren Bent has done this for Charlton (not exactly the best in the Prem). He scored more than Henry did in a worse team. But is still not considered world class...

I dont understand your comments on Owen either. I dont see how he can be overrated. Especially now as a lot dont actually rate him at all due to the amount of injuries. His time at Liverpool he was considered a god. Real bought him and he had by far the best scoring rate than anyone else (Goals to time on pitch ratio ofc) but wasnt chosen over the Overrated Raul, pff :P Cant really rate him on this performance at the world cup, he had 2 games of football since October? Cant afford not to take him though IMO.

Defoe, Bent and Vassell could all have done a decent job in a 4-4-2, but instead our genius of a manager decides to play a lone striker, a player who isnt even a natural striker. Well played SGE!

Ronaldinho
Zidane
Robinho
C. Ronaldo
Figo
Deco
Ballack
Nedved
Rooney
Gerrard
Kaka
Henry
Riquelme
Messi

These are the elite, you could add others aswell but there arent many more.

Last edited:
Hmm I dont agree with all this "Every one who plays must be world class". If all the top 12 teams, who would be entitled to a claim to have world class players in all positions, then it would take away the whole meaning of the term. World class is a small elite group of players. 30 at most, England have about 4 or 5. For a striker you need goals, if you can score them in Europes top leagues, its a pretty good chance you will score against the best. Darren Bent has done this for Charlton (not exactly the best in the Prem). He scored more than Henry did in a worse team. But is still not considered world class...

All I'm saying is, you want to know that the players - and esp. the strikers - you'r taking to the World Cup are good enough to be able to beat the defences that other teams will have. I can't see Defoe or Bent or even Crouch getting past the likes of Cannavaro very often. It would be a case of taking them just because they're the best out of whom England have, rather than because they really are capable of scoring against World Cup defs. I appreciate what you're saying about Bent though, but if he's that good, why wasn't he in the squad? Come to that, why isn't Giuly in France's squad?

I dont understand your comments on Owen either. I dont see how he can be overrated. Especially now as a lot dont actually rate him at all due to the amount of injuries. His time at Liverpool he was considered a god. Real bought him and he had by far the best scoring rate than anyone else (Goals to time on pitch ratio ofc) but wasnt chosen over the Overrated Raul, pff Cant really rate him on this performance at the world cup, he had 2 games of football since October? Cant afford not to take him though IMO.

I don't rate him on his performance at the WC - that would be a bit unfair. Though last time I looked he had done nothing before his injury. He was considered a god at Liverpool, yeah, but that was then. Shearer was a god at Newcastle, and he was still scoring when he retired...so what? Frankly, though this might sound ridiculous to some, I'd have more confidence in today's Shearer to score at the WC than today's Owen.

'(Goals to time on pitch ratio ofc)' - well, exactly. He was on the pitch about as often as Morientes used to be.

Defoe, Bent and Vassell could all have done a decent job in a 4-4-2, but instead our genius of a manager decides to play a lone striker, a player who isnt even a natural striker. Well played SGE!

Agreed, and definitely better than Crouch. Aaron Lennon was better than Beckham, yet he sat warming the bench. WHY? Who knows?

Ronaldinho
Zidane
Robinho
C. Ronaldo
Figo
Deco
Ballack
Nedved
Rooney
Gerrard
Kaka
Henry
Riquelme
Messi

These are the elite, you could add others aswell but there arent many more.

I'd def. agree with that list, though there are some who have really opened people's eyes in this tourny. Robben (if he stops diving), Ricardo (England's voodoo curse doctor), Shevchenko (bad tourny but still), Cannavaro (fkin fantastic v Germany - best def of the tournament so far).

Cu's tomorrow :wave:

C.Ronaldo?
Figo?

comon torp dont make me laugh they were shit

and idd Useless id add those players to.. and i'd add van persie to

Messi? hmm he doesn't impress me much. prolly 2010 will be his tourney
About C.Ronaldo...sure he played good sometimes, but mostly i saw him falling and losing the ball caused by selfish dribblings.

he scored vs Spain , he totally owned the Brezil , and he did again made amazing stuff vs Portugal (+ the penalty goal)
that guy is just amazing with the ball :eek:

a what? an aap?...when you wanna argue about his age now it is the same...compared to his age he is still worldclass