Formatting Windows Vista

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

dirz

dirz
Nov 15, 2002
Holland
Hello,

my sister bought a laptop and she has Windows Vista on it. She wants to go back to windows XP because she's used to that. So my dad and me tried to format Vista but we can't find a way to get rid of Windows Vista.

- We tried to enter a Windows XP SP2 CD and load the CD so u can format partitions and install Windows Vista. When the CD is done loading all the files it says it can't find a harddisk and the only option u have is to close the setup.

- We tried formatting via DOS, but it says that we can't format the partition.

Anyone know how to fix this problem?!
We don't have a CD of Windows Vista since there was some install program to install Vista when u start up the laptop for the very first time.

Thanks,
//dirz

Tip 1: Certain sata disks requires a separate driver that isn´t located on the XP cd.
Most likely this is the cause of the situation, and if so she should have some cd or floppy with the drivers on it. Otherwise download them on another pc and put em on a floppy. At the start of the setup process you need to press ehm... (F6 if i remember correctly) then enter the floppy with the drivers and continue from that.

Tip 2: If this is a sata disk which i assume it is, you might have a feature in the bios settings that says: SATA native mode. This is on by default. Turn it off, reboot and run the xp setup again. When windows is finally installed, download the proper sata drivers from the manufacturer and install them. Reboot into bios again and re-enable this feature.

AS TuT said it sounds like its not picking up the onboard disk controller which is most likely because the hardware is newer than the OS CD and it doesnt contain drivers.

Easiest way I find is to use driverpacks to download and slipstream all the newer hardware sata drivers into the XP SP2 CD, there are bound to be times that you need the XP CD for something else and cba to go find floppy disks and download drivers :D

Easiest way I find is to use driverpacks to download and slipstream all the newer hardware sata drivers into the XP SP2 CD

True, and no offence but that´s not how i would give support to some1´s sister (Who is most likely a bit novice with computers) :p:

Anyway Disc, here´s tip 3: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FVbf9tOGwno <-- Yes, old i know but funny still

Remember, only do tip 3 if 1 or 2 worked :)

what laptop ?

make and model

an Acer laptop. Don't know the exact model, because im at work atm. Will look at that when i get home

Tip 1: ... "Otherwise download them on another pc and put em on a floppy. At the start of the setup process you need to press ehm... (F6 if i remember correctly) then enter the floppy with the drivers and continue from that.

Would love to do that, but this laptop got no floppy m8 :P

Tip 2: If this is a sata disk which i assume it is, you might have a feature in the bios settings that says: SATA native mode. This is on by default. Turn it off, reboot and run the xp setup again. When windows is finally installed, download the proper sata drivers from the manufacturer and install them. Reboot into bios again and re-enable this feature.

I think it is a sata disk, don't know for sure tho, will look at that aswell when im home from work!

AS TuT said it sounds like its not picking up the onboard disk controller which is most likely because the hardware is newer than the OS CD and it doesnt contain drivers.

Easiest way I find is to use driverpacks to download and slipstream all the newer hardware sata drivers into the XP SP2 CD, there are bound to be times that you need the XP CD for something else and cba to go find floppy disks and download drivers

OK, so where can i get these drivers and how do i put them on the SP2 CD?! U should know by now that i'm a pc noob MyM! :p:

Thanks for the info so far!

Its actually the easiest way for a novice n my opinion providing they dont make the CD, no worrying about when they press S or if there are multiple drivers on the floppy etc, Dirz would make the CD and then give it to his sister, wouldnt really be an option if it was to rely purely on her, plus I know Dirz is obviously going to come annoy me on irc if he has issues :(

www.driverpacks.net should have a tutorial on there, but you know where to find me if you have problems.

did the very same thing, and read it up carefully before getting started.

i had to load the xp iso, and had to include the sata driver for my laptop with sum software. new iso was made and this one recognizes the disks!

Its actually the easiest way for a novice n my opinion providing they dont make the CD, no worrying about when they press S or if there are multiple drivers on the floppy etc, Dirz would make the CD and then give it to his sister, wouldnt really be an option if it was to rely purely on her, plus I know Dirz is obviously going to come annoy me on irc if he has issues :(

haha m8!

We found a way to format Vista. My dad tried to change the SATA settings in the BIOS, but the only option he had was to set it to IDE. So we figured out that Vista only recognizes SATA and not IDE. XP does recognize IDE and the disc just loaded the stuff and we could format Vista!

Thanks for the help!