Epic wanna help with getting assult in as a mod

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

seems to be nice.
even if not will be like UT original, not the same feeling of weapon choice, and style is more... dunno, but it will never be the same as UT, hope it will be fun enuff anyway :D

Any1 that wants to port mapps or make new ones for UT2k3 Assault, pm me to join our RoAR team. You will get a lot fo help from the teammembers.
We will do all coding that is needed, port mapps and make newones.

The more ppl we have the better our AS port/mod will be!

Some code is already there, but not all.
If Epic putts in more code or not is not a problem. We have 5 coders and a couple of mappers standing by.

Feel free to join our team and make Assault better in UT2k3. :)

We don't mean to port old standard mapps. Not without permission... But we would make new better versions of cool mapps and perharps make one BIG map out of 2 standard old mapps?! Those old standrad mapps are old news (and too short), but some of them, like Overlord, are based on a idea that never dies. I think I will make one HUGE new Overlord map (20-30 min).

I've already made 4 nice mapps (in UT AS) and can code as well (not to talk about c++, c , java, pascal, php etc...). We have experienced coders and mappers standing by.
Enyone that wants to contribute is welcome to send me a PM. You will get a lot of help from other in the team if you need it.

We have alot of ideas right now. Even an extended scoring is being considered (like kill attacker near objective get 1 extra points etc).

Last edited:
In a Q&A IRC log with Mark Rein on the official forums he said it himself that given the new Ed it would be a lot easier to remake maps than port any existing ones.

I get he feeling a lot of people are fighting an uphill battle to try and get AS for Ut2k3.

I loved AS as much as anyone here, but change isn't always a bad thing.

You think we're dumb or something?!
Porting mapps is porting to a certain level, but if you have a better engine you won't ignore it, but use it to your advantage.
UT2k3 terrain will be in all "ports"! Not to talk about static meshes...

No I'm not saying your dumb, but generally when someone says "Hey I'm going to port xxx into zzz" I usually take that as read.

I think what you perhaps mean to say is that you plan to re-make current UT AS maps for UT2K3.

My apoligies for reading the way you typed it.

wish you luck doc though 20 mins long maps !! one of the features i liked bout assault was the maps got done in 2-3 mins (or a lot less) made for a fast ever changing game type. pls pls pls inculde some short maps also. Seeing that you have grz permission to port his maps then both riverbeds and goghltha (i can never spell that right) would be cool maps to see ported imo.

Originally posted by Japster
U do know that maps made in 927 wont work with demo/final version :(
I was reffering to my 4 UT assault mapps. Making mapps for UT2k3 would be illegal!!!

And Ajax, you're right. We will have short mapps too.
The 20-30 min time was the max time (make that 10-30 min). That means that it would take 1.5-3 min minimum to complete a map.
Making short mapps that can be completed in 30 sec is bs. :rolleyes: It takes longer to load a map into UT than to play it!?!?
Thx! :bananna:

1.5-6 mins is an acceptable completion time for me. After that i just get pissed off. i think 12-20 (at most) timelimit would be more than enough.

we just need to make new maps eh?

Well, I can do that!

IMO, the maps that should be re-made in UT2k3 are:

Golgotha
Desert storm
Ballistic
Overlord
Mazon

There R prolly more, but those are all I can think of now.

probaly a good idea to use the old rocket launcher also and maybe the impact hamer also as new cant be set and can you imgaine some launchs where the luanchie has a shield to cut down on the hurt factor, or cant stoped due to the shield

Originally posted by Ajax
probaly a good idea to use the old rocket launcher also and maybe the impact hamer also as new cant be set and can you imgaine some launchs where the luanchie has a shield to cut down on the hurt factor, or cant stoped due to the shield
No need for the old RL when we can make the newone behave the same way.
As for the shield we haven't decided yet if we're going to remove it or not.
The new impact hammer can't be set and that means that more skill will be needed to launch with it.

Maybe so...We can always integrate the needed UT hammer code in the UT2k3's hammer/shieldgun.

Actually, I'm going to check out the UT hammer code righ now.