Entanet

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Phear

The all powerful W|G!
May 27, 2001
Birmingham, UK
Anyone here use Entanet for their broadband? Or rather one of their resellers like ADSL24 (since they don't sell direct). I have been with Nildram since forever (the 90's) and they have always been rock solid and provided what I want (primarily a block of 5 IP's, and lax download limits) but since they were sold (to pipex I think), I've had a few outages (nothing major but anything is greater than nothing) and I just feel I'm now paying over the odds. I was looking around and Entanet caught my eye since they offer free static / IP ranges and their packages seem to be competitively priced. Most of what i've read about them seems good, just wondered if anyone here had any experience with them?

I'm with them. I have not had any real issues with them that was thier fault.

My exchange was congested which caused alot of slow download speeds and during the maintenance caused me drop-outs. However since then speeds have been good, ping, stability and I have a huge amount of bandwidth to download compared to what Nildam/Zen ofered me.

Hope thats useful.

Depends what ya mean by outages phil.. if you're on adslmax (up to 8 meg) then you'll drop sync occasionally due to noise bursts on your phone line.. but you'll get that whatever ISP you're on.

However, pipex was bought by tiscali, with nildram part of it.. so over the next months/year they'll be making changes.

The recent change was going over to tiscali's DNS servers.

The biggest problem though is if you're on an exchange with tiscali LLU on it, as you;ll probably end up on that - which is shit. :(

So.. yeah entanet are good, go with someone like UKFSN or ADSL24, theyre all the same really... just comes down to the extras (emailing, hosting etc).. however do be aware they operate a traffic management policy where you can get throttled to 2meg throughput during peak usage (in order to eliminate packet loss), this only happens as usage on the server you're connected to increases though.

To be honest, they're probably the best bet for anyone after a decent, ie not-15 quid a month shittiness, ISP

Oh one other thing, if you're going for one of their Office products, you'll get ~800kbps upload speed, but if your line is already a bit shakey, you might get more dropouts/disconnects. Hard to say without having a good look at your line though ;)

Im with ADSL24 m8

good pings and connection have had no probs in the year i have been with them

before that i was with aquiss another enta reseller and had no connection probs with them either

as for throttling goes eevn with congestion ive never seen it go below 3.2

http://adsl24.co.uk/centralstatus.php

keep an eye on the checker

come onboard u wont regret it

I am in the middle of switching to adsl24 I should be with them by the end on next month.

is www.bethere.co.uk in your area/exchange?

I switched from Nildram after being a loyal customer for many years, and I agree about paying over the odds. Zen is nice but they don't do LLU in my area so I'm going with BE I think.

Ive had more issues with the Easynet LLU at work than any other connection Ive had there, although admittedly a fair amount of those problems seem to come from idiot BT engineers that mess around in the exchange

is www.bethere.co.uk in your area/exchange?

I switched from Nildram after being a loyal customer for many years, and I agree about paying over the odds. Zen is nice but they don't do LLU in my area so I'm going with BE I think.

I was on Zen before and changed over to Be a while ago purely because of price and connection speed, cant really fault Be and they offer a free month's connection to new and existing customer for referrals ;)
I would definitely recommend them if they are offered in your area.

I know the difference between a line drop and an outage w0ss :P I am talking about having line sync but no connection to the ISP, and for 30mins to and hour or 2.

Anyway it seems I can get Be, but the question is, is it going to be worth it, 24meg sounds nice but my line is longer than Ron Jeremy's member and I'm currently lucky to sync at 2meg (on ADSL max) when the wind is blowing in the right direction. What speeds am I likely to see bearing in mind my crappy line? Are Be any good? It seems you can only get an IP range if you go for Be Pro (which is fine) and pay an extra £10, is that £10 one off charge or £10 per month? The site doesn't seem to indicate, if its the later then its a bloody rip off.

:)

btw what i did was go for the Office 45 package with 832 kbps upload

2 months later i swapped to Home 30

and guess what my upload is still 832 kbps (dunno if this works for all did for me )

easy to see and use control panel

also u can toggle Interleaving status to on or off ( takes 24hrs to take affect )

off = fast lower ping but need a stable connection

Attachments

• Untitled-1.jpg
    Untitled-1.jpg
    65.7 KB · Views: 105
  • Untitled-1.psd.jpg
    Untitled-1.psd.jpg
    78.8 KB · Views: 18
I'm on Zen Office 8000 Max at the moment, but I only sync at 6.5mb even though I'm 700 meters from the exchange according to samknows. Something else may be interfering with my equipment. I've already replaced my NTE5 master socket with a filtered split faceplate.

Sorry to steal your thread, but if an exchange is congested, would moving to a LLU mean less congestion and contention for bandwidth? Is an LLU physically seperate or still chucked in with the rest of the BT ADSL network?

LLU is seperate but you are then subject to the ISP's contention policies and not BT's, which is why Tiscali LLU is generally considered uber wank, because they use higher contention ratio's than BT.

Contention wouldn't be your problem as it doesn't affect sync speed.

Ah right, thanks for explaining the LLU thing. I generally thought the idea of an LLU was for the 3rd party provider to have separate equipment at the Exchange to split off their customers from the ageing BT equipment = a better scenario for all; however it seems Tiscali are about quantity not quality.

Ah right, thanks for explaining the LLU thing. I generally thought the idea of an LLU was for the 3rd party provider to have separate equipment at the Exchange to split off their customers from the ageing BT equipment = a better scenario for all; however it seems Tiscali are about quantity not quality.

Well that is the idea yes, they use their own equipment and therefore can save money by managing it themselves and not leasing it from BT but that of course leaves a scope to provide both a better or worse service than BT since they can use cheaper or more expensive equipment, better or worse engineers, jamm more or less people into their connections etc etc.

Well my order is in with ADSL24 and hopefully i'll be switched by the end of next week. Seems a shame to ditch Nildram after all this time, they were the shining light in a sea of crap but it seems they've since sold their soul to the devil.

Only 3

I am on 5 calls and they still haven't sent me it via email and now they tell me they cant get me the code because there is a problem with BT issuing it ffs.

each call is a 20 min wait to.