Electricity Question

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

With Fuse you mean those little white things in the 'metercloset' (lol dutch) . If one of those blows nothing bad can happen to my equipment ?

And the best way to wire it all would be like you:
1 outlet: TV, Playstation, 5.1 set
2 outlet: computer, monitor ?

Yeah those white things indeed. It's happened like 20 times already here, haven't had any damage. But yeah, who knows for sure :P

Looks good doing it like that. Probably best to do it like you say there yeah. :)

With Fuse you mean those little white things in the 'metercloset' (lol dutch) . If one of those blows nothing bad can happen to my equipment ?

And the best way to wire it all would be like you:
1 outlet: TV, Playstation, 5.1 set
2 outlet: computer, monitor ?

Fuses will only protect you from over current, eg. some electrical device short circuiting, and instead of the whole thing melting, and catching fire, along with every wire in your house, and your house, the fuse blows.

Fuses won't protect you against a fault current, like a device discharging into anything other then its neutral wire, like you, or other conducting objects.
The ground wire is usually attached to the case of electronic equipment, so if the equipment for some reason discharges into the case, it goes through the ground wire into ground, instead of building up a charge, and eventually discharging into you when you touch it.

Well in Holland every house has a RCD which is supposed to prevent leakage. My house doesn't even have earthed power outlets, except outside and in the bathroom (cause of the moisture).
Anyway, if a leak does happen this RCD will cut off the power in 'supposedly' 25 msecs. So unless you're grabbing UPS'es, batteries or anything which can sustain power for a longer period of time I doubt you're in much trouble.

Ye electricity isn't my thing. But from what I understand is: If all equipment is on at once, they can use too much power and go haywire, then the RCD kicks in cutting the power?

And earthed outlets basically rule out a RCD or ? (earthing the power to the ground, instead of shutting down?)

Ye electricity isn't my thing. But from what I understand is: If all equipment is on at once, they can use too much power and go haywire, then the RCD kicks in cutting the power?

And earthed outlets basically rule out a RCD or ? (earthing the power to the ground, instead of shutting down?)

RCD's have nothing to do with over current (devices using too much power), they only help prevent fault current (you getting shocked, dropping something electrical in the bathtube). They can be fooled in some cases though, and they won't shut off on small discharges (like you touching some electrical device, and it gives you a small zap), grounded outlets help against that.

RCD does nothing for overloading the circuit, its an alternative to earthing every circuit and will trip if it detects that there is a diffrence between live and neutral. In the UK RCDs main use in the past is for external wires where they could possibly be damaged, pumps for ponds, lawn mowers etc.

Pick an extension bar that offers surge protection as suggested, this should cover you for major spikes.

Last edited:
Pick an extension bar that offers surge protection as suggested, this should cover you for major spikes.

Ah ok I will do that then yes, if it doesn't matter (much) I plug the (good)extension cord into an unearthed socket.

Thanks for all help:)

If you don't have grounded outlets you just have to be more careful, that's all.

Only fools would fuck around with their PC's inside while it has power.
And if your device actually does get a short circuit you'd notice soon enough (it starts stinking or smoking :P) and you really shouldn't touch the device then before plugging it out.

Well in Holland every house has a RCD which is supposed to prevent leakage. My house doesn't even have earthed power outlets, except outside and in the bathroom (cause of the moisture).
Anyway, if a leak does happen this RCD will cut off the power in 'supposedly' 25 msecs. So unless you're grabbing UPS'es, batteries or anything which can sustain power for a longer period of time I doubt you're in much trouble.

and what about high eletricity machines? washmachine, dishwasher and stuff, you don't have earthed power outlets on those?

and what about high eletricity machines? washmachine, dishwasher and stuff, you don't have earthed power outlets on those?
except outside and in the bathroom (cause of the moisture).
Add to that all other rooms that contain devices which use water :P
So yeah, kitchen and washing room have everything grounded.
But common rooms like bedrooms and living room usually don't have it. It's only needed in areas with water afaik.

But even if devices flood water while short circuiting it will only trigger RCD even faster.
And even if it wouldn't trigger in time, you shouldn't stay in a room where there's a water flood + electricity. It's common sense :P

If you want to use earthed outlets make sure you've had your cables rewired. Old system is basically just 2 wiring at least in sweden where the protected earth is missing. If you want it really secure the best thing is to contact an electrician to do it for you. Shouldn't take him longer than an hour to rewire your room unless you want more things to be done. If you do know someone who can do it for you don't have to be a electrician company you can just ask your landlord for permission and you can save a lot more money. I'm not sure how the laws are in holland. But if we want to do this in sweden we just have to ask our landlords.