dx8.dll ?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

M3NA

May 25, 2003
Baghdad
hi guys, i heard that there is a dx8.dll wich let ut run much smoother.
I heard ppl complaining about having below 200fps what i think is v nice.
I´m using a dual core 4400 and an ati1950pro but I only get 200+ frames in dm. in assault they r usually ~130.
I´d like to keep them locked 80 to have the same mouse everywhere but i really wanna know if i can enhance my ut perfromance with that dx8.dll

In my UnrealTournament.ini I have just set all framerate limits to 70, if UT can handle anything while maintaining 70 FPS the game will be fine from my experience, you don't really need more than 70 from what I have seen.

Open UT.ini and do a search for 'framrate', at every line put in 70 (or 80)

uZi was testing the new dx8.dll I think, give him a PM

k, tnx m8. i´ll try that, it´s alredy set to 85 but i guess vsync has to be enabled then in graphics card menu

Last edited:
go here:

http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/

or.. direct link to latest d3d8 renderer: http://cwdohnal.home.mindspring.com/utglr/utd3d8r14.zip

you need to edit you unrealtournament.ini like wish says.. and the frameratelimit options only work with the newer renderers (both d3d8/9 and opengl), so you'll need to make sure you have the latest.

As wish mentioned, you will not notice any difference between a solid 200fps and a solid 100 fps. Personally I fix mine at 85.. most people need to find their own tho.. as what seems "smooth" to everyone appears to be dependent on their setup and own perception.. so be prepared to test things out

btw theres a thread about opengl sticky-ed on this forum.. the settings there are pretty much identical

heres some settings for you to start with (edit the sections in your ini), I've taken them from Paa's opengl settings.. have a read thru for more if you're interested

[Engine.Engine]
GameRenderDevice=D3D8Drv.D3D8RenderDevice

[D3D8Drv.D3D8RenderDevice]
Translucency=True
VolumetricLighting=True
ShinySurfaces=False
Coronas=False
HighDetailActors=True
DetailTextures=True
TruFormMinVertices=0
TruFormTessellation=3
UseTruForm=False
AAFilterHint=0
NumAASamples=4
UseAA=True
RequestHighResolutionZ=False
MaskedTextureHack=True
FrameRateLimit=85
SwapInterval=0
UseVertexProgram=False
UseCVA=False
UseMultiDrawArrays=True
TexDXT1ToDXT3=False
DynamicTexIdRecycleLevel=100
UseTexPool=True
UseTexIdPool=True
UseSSE=1
BufferClippedActorTris=True
SinglePassDetail=False
ColorizeDetailTextures=False
DetailClipping=True
UseDetailAlpha=True
RefreshRate=75 ( CHANGE TO YOUR MONITOR'S REFRESH)
MaxTMUnits=8
NoFiltering=False
MaxAnisotropy=16
UseTNT=False
Use4444Textures=False
UseS3TC=False
UseAlphaPalette=False
AutoGenerateMipmaps=False
UseTrilinear=True
UsePrecache=True
AlwaysMipmap=False
ShareLists=True
UsePalette=True
UseMultiTexture=True
UseBGRATextures=True
UseZTrick=False
MaxLogTextureSize=8
MinLogTextureSize=0
MaxLogVOverU=8
MaxLogUOverV=8
OneXBlending=True
GammaCorrectScreenshots=True
GammaOffsetBlue=0.000000
GammaOffsetGreen=0.000000
GammaOffsetRed=0.000000
GammaOffset=0.000000
LODBias=0.000000
DescFlags=0
Description=

tnx uzi, i was wondering y the frames still were locked to 99.99 although i added the value of 80 in ut.ini
though i prefer rather to play in ogl than using d3d. but i´ll try this new .dll

I'm using opengl atm, although its still not perfect, I can't alt-tab out without my graphics going to shit lol, d3d8 is probably the most stable but I feel like im hitting more with opengl :S

well well, i managed to put the .drv in system folder, but when i started ut with my new pc, forced vsync on i get a weird mouse smoothing in ut, without vsync i dont. u have any clues about that ?

I'm using opengl atm, although its still not perfect, I can't alt-tab out without my graphics going to shit lol, d3d8 is probably the most stable but I feel like im hitting more with opengl :S
On my old gfx card, D3D8 had some sort of mouse lag, wich OpenGL didnt have. After switching to my new gfx card, OpenGL had mouse lag a D3D8 didnt have that. I would rather play with openGL but i never really got the mouselag fixed:(