DX fault in Win7?

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Thrasher (_!_)

=]????[=
Feb 21, 2002
Staffs,UK
Anyone else experienced this in Win7? Has happened a number of times in UT and just happened in MW2.

Never had any problems in Win7 beta or RC :-/

Attachments

• Capture.JPG
    Capture.JPG
    80.8 KB · Views: 116
Last edited:
It seems to be quite a popular fault......but looks like nvidia may be the guilty party.

Drivers after 186.18 can generate a system log entry:
Event ID: 7016
The NVIDIA Display Driver Service service has reported an invalid current state 32.

Downgraded driver to 186.18, fingers crossed :)

Nvidia been pissing me off too :( Something tells me downgrading to older drivers won't fix it, and good luck getting anywhere with their 'customer support'.

im using the 191.07 with nps

although i did extract it and hooked out the 3d driver before i installed it

and ive always set service to manual in xp and win 7

Removed v191 and installed 186.18 following this post. Not finished testing yet but other user's posts appear to confirm the fix.

Never understood installing DX9 into Win7, it clearly lets you do it but why? and how does it help anything?

[google]dxgmms1.sys[/google]

Gives a LOT of results with people having the same problem. Also it is not a part of nvidia drivers, the file is from Microsoft afaik. Your event log might just be a symptom that the dxgmms1.sys caused.

Here's a similar issue (except with Crysis) in which it got fixed with a reinstall + no windows updates (which might've left that file unchanged in some way so it doesn't give bsod's): http://www.sevenforums.com/380621-post14.html

And I'll refrain from saying the obvious :P

Last edited:
:lol: thanks Pinz0r.
dxgmms1.sys is part of the DirectX system, I reinstalled Win7 and blocked all windows updates and it still crashed :-/
The roll back top 186.18 didn't fix the problem either. 10 mins on MW2 and BSoD again.
I swapped my sound card for a different one too....again no difference.

The Win7/Vista installs do not contain the updated DX 9.0c libraires that were continually released after DX 9.0c came out

Many of the new .DLL's that were added are REQUIRED for newer games that run in DX9 mode, and must be downloaded

Ms update directX every couple months and these updates do not appear in windows update

:lol: thanks Pinz0r.
dxgmms1.sys is part of the DirectX system, I reinstalled Win7 and blocked all windows updates and it still crashed :-/
The roll back top 186.18 didn't fix the problem either. 10 mins on MW2 and BSoD again.
I swapped my sound card for a different one too....again no difference.
The problem aint caused by a faulty Dx9 or Dx11 imho.
I'm using Win7 couple time now with an Nvidia card and driver version 191.07 (64bit) and never saw a bluescreen.
Even when i run games in Dx9 (Crysis, UT) or Dx10 or even in OpenGL, no error appears.

So i assume your problem is possibly be caused by some hardware problem (temperatur of your graphiccard, stability of your gfx-card (test with Furmark), test overall system stability (Orthos), etc)

I ran stability tests, OCCTPT for CPU & RAM and FurMark burn in for gfx. No errors at all.

Just reinstalled...will add the DX update...thanks for reply DB.