DSL to Network

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Andy

I work for BT, adore me!
Jun 7, 2001
Wigan/Rochdale
Recently I have set up a small network. THe network is comprised of 2 PC's a 3com 5 way switch and a DSL ethernet modem, D-Link 300G+.

After messing around for a while I was able to have the modem and 1 PC running through the switch, but the other PC could not see or be seen, nor could it access the internet. So I removed the modem, and each PC could see one another. I then reattatched the modem, niether PC could see it or use the internet. Now after a while of messing about I discovered that the modem needs to be attatched to one PC, a manager PC this is why I cannont use it through the switch with more than 1 PC. I have now got this setup running using 1 PC as an internet gateway, as it has 2 lan ports I was able to build a bridge and get everything working. My problem now is that as you would expect when PC 1 is turned off PC 2 cannot use the internet.

So I am looking for hardware suggestions for a modem that can connect directly to a switch directly and share internet access, I would consider a router also, or if anyone has the knowledge of how to configure my current set up differently.

some modems have built in router possibilities.... but buying that would be more expensive then buying a router i think.

Andy you tit.

Indeed, that is what a router does. It routes stuff which isn't local to your network, to another network (the internet).

If you only have an ADSL modem, get an ADSL router. Cost you between 60 - 100 quid for a decent ish one.

Or, if you have an old crappy PC (like a P166 with 32MB ram) you can turn it into a kick ass router by using something called Smoothwall. It's free, and it kicks ass. More features/control/stability than any hardware router under 400 quid.

Using smoothwall doesn´t solve the situation of having to have 1 additional pc turned on though.

Go for a hardware router.

NETGEAR DG834 ADSL Firewall Router

thats what i have and very nice it is too ...

but you can't have it copier....

ebuyer sell one as there own for about £30 (1 port) and £40 (4 port hub built in), which is actually built by origo. Firmware isnt brilliant but it is cheap and works. This router is also rebadged by a few companys like zoom (goes for about £80).