Down time in November

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Hi all,

I'm Karl (You'd never have guessed would you?) and I'm from KDA Web Services, the web host of these rather fine forums.

The spec for the new web server is:

Dual Intel Tualatin S 1.13Ghz - These are the server versions with 512k Cache each.
3Gb Registered ECC Ram
4 x 60Gb IDE Drives on Adaptec 2400a RAID Card (RAID 5)
Tyan Thunder LET Mobo
2U AMS Alu Case

The current server, P3 1Ghz, 512Mb Ram, 3 x 60Gb (Would be 4 but one died) in RAID 5, is going to be relegated to the role of Mail server with 2 x 60Gb in RAID 0+1.

The new database server is going to be Dual CPU, we're not sure on MP 1800+ yet or Taulatins again, either way it will have 2Gb of RAM (DDR or PC133 depending on CPU), 4 x 60Gb IDE in RAID5 array. It could end up being Tualatins again because of the lack of decent server mobos for MPs and stability issues.

To make sure the web server flies even more, DNS will be carried out from two Sun Netra X1 servers. So the new server will be left to do just HTTP serving and serve the control panels for customers and that's it. All mail, dns, databases etc. will be handled on other servers.

Anyway, I thought you were all gamers, so what's all this talk of it being fast enough already? I didn't think anything was ever fast enough for you guys :D

nah were lamers and fags mostly, the game is just to pick up cute euro boys.

2U AMS Alu Case

btw: what collor is it? thats rather important around here.

thanx

All web servers have a name, we just chose to give ours a theme. Freeserve for example use metal alloys as names as well as well as vegetable names.

Its pretty appropriate that freeserve have vegetable server names. Have you ever rung their tech support line?

good, the lol thread is kinda slow to post on, could do with some extra backbone :D

4*60 gig Raid 5 wot does that mean, how much is effectively avail for spamming and how much is used for cross-backup? :rolleyes:

if it is effectively 60 gig for spamming it may be a bit thin for the serious spammers amongst us :P

oh well some :spam: anyone?

Originally posted by Ajax
specs are nice :D
you could almost host ut servers and have forums on em :D

Shame they aren't located in the UK - they're hosted in the US which means the pings would be sucky compared to UK servers.

Would probably be better than Jolt though ;)

Well with ISDN we get pings in the range of 90-100ms most days. We would get slightly faster but the whole network is firewalled which slows packets down slightly as they are filtered.