Door Problem

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Pxz0rz

Jul 20, 2001
End of the world
Im making a 'map' (well at least im fucking around with UED) and now I've come to the part of making a slide door which opens in 2 directions, like this:

__ = closed
_ _ = open

The only problem is: one it isnt solid somehow (when according to the tutorial it shud :S), two it doesnt open coz i cant bump into it and three outside on on side of the wall there is something invisble and i dunno what it is.

Could somebody help me out? Here's a pic of the door in UED.

Attachments

• Door.jpg
    82 KB · Views: 151
if u have modifyed the size with the size tool then the brush will have the orginal size that it had when it was unmodified :o so what u need 2 do is 2
create the brush 2 right size by typing the brush size numbers..
or by first adding the brush 2 world as normal brush then creating a brush that covers the added brush and intersect it and then add it as a mover... :freak: fs I suck @explaining lol

duplicating is a problem indeed, copy-pasting is not. (if you use polygons-> to brush and add a mover with the RBB again it will get a different name (like mover17)

px: are you saying the door is ethereal? you can walk through, dunno about that then
about trhe invisble collision hull, this sometimes happens around movers just build the mover using a different shape and itll solve mostly.

if you want both door to open simultaneously add a trigger on the door that triggers the mover (needs the movers Object->initial stae to be triggeropentimed) so if someone touches the triger doors open, and you dont need to touch the door to open it(this way only one half opens like its the case in subbase 2)

much more important however is: ABSOFUCKINLUTELY NOONE SAVES HIS GAMES IN THE "PROGRAM FILES" FOLDER :shout:

Humph said:
So why is ur UT installed in D:\Program Files\Unreal Tournament?

Mine is as well all my games on D so is my docs/desktop/faves/drivers/downloads/music ect

that way if i wanna reinstall i can an all my stuff safe there dont have to rake arround grabbing it all from diff locations

SoldierBoy said:
if u have modifyed the size with the size tool then the brush will have the orginal size that it had when it was unmodified :o
He just started fiddling with ed, so i dont think hes doing vertex editing on brushes yet, no offence PX :D

I see ur mover pivots are outside the brushes, odd.
So u got the Birra tutorial open there, just scrap the old movers and do new ones, follow the tut closely.
Set the initial state "pump open timed" or even better as Sobo said add a trigger in front of them.

outside on on side of the wall there is something invisble and i dunno what it is.
Take a pic of it and post here.

Japster said:
He just started fiddling with ed, so i dont think hes doing vertex editing on brushes yet, no offence PX :D

uhm...vertex editing was the first t00l I used to create custom brushes......
(I had worked with other editors tho.... :))

yey no1 understood what I ment lol hum fs ok I use my very best english now lol.

if I click on cube and dont resize it with the parameters that i get if i rightclick the cube tool.. but resize the cube with brush scaling tool instead and then click on the add mover tool.. now my movers solid shape will get totally fucked because I modified the geometry with the scaling tool.. so if I scaled it up say 10 times with the scaling tool and add it as a mover then only spot that is solid is the orginal size that I had b4 I rescaled it ect.. BUT if I now rightclick on the cube tool and adjust the exact size with the parameters and add the brush in 2 world and add a mover then my whole mover becomes solid.. took really long time b4 I noticed that.. and no turial what so evva said anything about it.. thought it was only my edditor that was fucked up..

but if I want 2 use the brush scaling tool and say again I scale it up about 10 times it's size and then add it as a normal brush in2 the world in "air" so it is "floating" and make a cube that is around the added brush_that_is_ment_2_be_a_mover_in_end :P and the hit intersect tool so it makes the brush after the "model" now u can add it as a mover with no fuckups.. :) and by the same way u can make more complex brushes by first adding the parts and then making a cube around the objectives and intersecting the "model" 2 get 1 single brush ect... but often I use the parameters 2 avoid these fuckups if it's only sum simple mover..

yey even I can understand what I ment now lol :D

if, what soldierboy said, is the reason than the easiest way to solve it is probably this:
select the movers and click Tranform->Transform permanently in the properties dropdown menu

(a very important and powerful tool for better BSP)

About vertex editing, well. the very first brush i ever made was edited with vertex editing (was a hallway with sloaped walls) whereas i discovered the 2d shaper only very late. (seeing it generates very tesselated ends, i dont like it)

in conclusion id recommend: to make custom brushes (out of cube brushes) only use vertex editing, cutting, rotating then tranform permamnently.
if you rotate in a non orthogonal ancle (so the vertexes come out not lying on the grid anymore) dont tranform permanently after but before the rotation.

Last edited: