dog server

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Hm, other posts were angling at a routing problem, and given that different people on different ISPs are saying completely different stories, that's what I was being led to beleive the problem was.
:confused:

Others have complained on the server while playing, and the following is exactly what I am talking about:

No, the server is worse than before.
I guess its my routing or something.
Having a F1 oing on 48 and can't hit shit while everyone else can kill me.
Not much fun in that anymore :(

Where is the server located now?

Although, I don't believe that it is a routing issue, not for me anyway, and probably not for others who are experiencing this issue. I am not thinking the issue is related to lag, either. Well, not directly. I believe that if you remove KickIdlePlayers, or make an adjustment to it that the problem may go away. I constantly get "kick messages" even when I'm running, playing, etc. As stated before, my ping is no different than in the past. I get ping spikes ever once in a while, but nothing extreme. However, I believe that players with a ping higher than 100 are experiencing these issues due to the KickIdlePlayers settings.

Again, I'm just trying to be constructive with my posts here. Not bitching.

SPS

I actually get the kick message as soon as I join... server takes me longer to join but I also reinstalled UT around the same time as DoG got a new server so it's impossible to tell :(

server has always been and is to date fine for me ^^

and very happy it's still around :nod:

Hm, ok will disable KIP for a week and see if it changes anything.

Tonight I did witness many people having huge problems with ping on other ports, however I was playing with an F6 of under 90 (F1 30-60), which is actually the best ping I've ever had to our server in the last 2 years (many can testify to that!).

Given that utilisation was under 10% on everything, it's proving hard to pin it on the box change. Config of the UT ports should have been identical to the old box, but I can always dig it out again from under my sofa to check.

The only difference between the boxes is that it's now using hardware RAID instead of software, and we've got 4 Xeon cores instead of 2 Opteron cores. - The new box is standard HP kit, whereas the old was custom build.

Last edited:
I get 8% loss in a minute when back-tracing to your IP over NTT Suzy.. Goes the same route for smantie, which we've proven to be crap before. It's very subjective to the time of day though, certainly tracing between 1am and 10am there aren't any problems.

:/

Hey '//3iRd(o), FYI: I've had the best day today on the server since the new server was put online. I was able to piston jump on Mazon and I scored many sniper kills on Overlord. These things I just couldn't do over the past few weeks. Also, my shots where making more contact hits today than in the recent past. No players freezing, disappearing, or reappearing. I'm not sure if this has anything to do with KIP or not. Its been a while since I've looked at the settings for KIP, so I wouldn't know what to suggest to adjust.

I'm not sure if I just had a good day today or if it actually is related to KIP. If KIP is important to you then I would turn it back on. However, if players complain about issues such as these, and if their ping is 100 or greater than I would disable KIP to see if it helps them.

Best,
SPS

Add: Well, I've just looked at KIPv2 (not sure what the DOG is running) but there ain't a whole heck of a lot of settings!

Last edited:
Our version was tweaked from v2 to stop some false positives on certain Assault maps, but given it's the same version we've been running for nearly 3 years, I'm not sure whether it's just co-incidence, or something else conflicting.