Demo playback control

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

DaTeL

=]DoG[=Food
Oct 23, 2002
Holland
I'm wondering how people make UT dems into proper movies, because the default UT playback is rather limited (ok I know ?3rdperson and ?timebased)

specifically, I'm wondering if it's possible to place the 'camera'/spectator at a set location&angle
also, I'm trying to playback a dem in slow-mo

help is welcome :)

Placing/moving the camera can be done with Rypelcam.
For playing a dem in slow-mo, type slomo 0.5 during watching.
This can also be done to increase speed, typing slomo 2 would give you twice as fast as regular play :)

Placing/moving the camera can be done with Rypelcam.
For playing a dem in slow-mo, type slomo 0.5 during watching.
This can also be done to increase speed, typing slomo 2 would give you twice as fast as regular play :)

thnx for the Rypelcam thing (haven't tried yet)
Slomo doesn't work though :( (doesn't matter if I use timebased or not)

Install.txt of demo manager 3.0 :
INSTALLING UT DEMO MANAGER 3.0 BETA

Step 1: Extract every file to the system directory of Unreal Tournament. (i.e. c:\unrealtournament\system)
Step 2: Open Unrealtournament.ini (in the system directory)
Step 3: Find the line that says DemoRecordingDevice=Engine.DemoRecDriver
Step 4: Change it to: DemoRecordingDevice=udemo.uDemoDriver

Failure to perform steps 2-4 will prevent usage of the speed control, pausing, seeking, or any other nice feature of the new demo driver!

hmm ok i never used DemoManager while having a good experience :P but looks nice for playback
if i record with it as well, will it affect my dems (as in, will others require demomanager to play it?)

i'm pretty sure u can use either demomanager or console cmd to play your demos and it doesn't matter if record your games manually or with Demomanager(back in the days i used to record them manually between each map LOL).

i still record them manually :D :P
i think(!) it does not matter, which instance starts the demorec. so none of the viewers should feel a difference.

and i think the playback cannot be chosen that easily.
but i think this affects it:

UT.ini Original:

DemoRecordingDevice=Engine.DemoRecDriver
UT.ini Altered:
DemoRecordingDevice=udemo.uDemoDriver (not sure which one of those two)
DemoRecordingDevice=udemo.udemo.uDemoDriver (not sure which one of those two)

if you have successfully chosen the original playback, then slomo and seekto won't work.
but: when sniper-zooming the picture will actually be zoomed. this is not the case when using the demomanager-playback i think.

hmmmmmmmm..... the entry it is called "recording device".not sure...

then again this entry in the UT.ini exists:
[Engine.DemoRecDriver]
;DemoSpectatorClass=Botpack.CHSpectator
DemoSpectatorClass=JoltDemoEnhancer2.DECHSpectator
MaxClientRate=...
ConnectionTimeout=...

which should be useless?? if you select
DemoRecordingDevice=udemo.uDemoDriver / udemo.udemo.uDemoDriver
but i am not sure, if an entry with the "udemo" name is created at all??
(i don't have one in my UT.ini but mine is write protected... so i dunno)

anyway Botpack.CHSpectator / JoltDemoEnhancer2.DECHSpectator
makes some kind of difference as well... but tbh I am also not sure, if the JoltDemoEnhancer2.DECHSpectator thingy is part of the demo manager. i only know, that before the demomanager was out, it existed as a standalone demo playback enhancer...

many dunno's :D
but in essence I think(!) you can control the playback with
DemoRecordingDevice=Engine.DemoRecDriver / udemo.uDemoDriver / udemo.udemo.uDemoDriver

Last edited: