Debate a pacifist today!

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Status
Not open for further replies.

syN-acK

Jul 19, 2001
Just follow this 6 step process to win any argument against someone who believes a retalitory attack will just breed more violence:

Step 1) Go to your local college where people are protesting against using miitary force.
Step 2) Go up to one of the protesters and politely ask them why they feel military action is wrong.
Step 3) Wait until they begin to explain that military action would just mean more people getting hurt, and proceed to punch them in the face.
Step 4) When they get up, politely explain to them that any retaliation would be against their principles, and would be considered wrong.
Step 5) While they ponder this, punch them in the face again.
Step 6) Repeat steps 4-6

:P

Just because im a pasefist doesnt mean i wont hit back, it just means that i dont belive that its a good way to get your point across.
Ive thought about this alot since the riots in gothenburg and other places where the G8 have met.Force should only be used when ur backed up in a corner with no other alternative.Anything els is primetive.

or pacifists are just naive. Pacifism has never nor will ever work. The problem with that is everyone has to have a basic urge not to fight when attacked. I think pacifism is used as a cop out by those who can not defend themselves. I am not saying we should go to war over everything, but there is a point where you have to make a stand against others.

I get the feeling many pasifists have talked so much about it that they have got it mixed up.Its not about lying down and dieing instead of fighting.The reason its not more widespread is that most humans have their heads full of cultural bias and sad stereotypes.

Saying its a copout by those who cant defend them selves sounds like "If u wont fight ur a coward" I hope this isnt what u mean.

or pacifists are just naive

no, they probably have a better grip on reality than non-pacifists

I think pacifism is used as a cop out by those who can not defend themselves.

excuse me, but if you want to go on a friendly one on one Id be happy to show you I am quite capable of defending myself fat boy

Just because im a pasefist doesnt mean i wont hit back, it just means that i dont belive that its a good way to get your point across

exactly. brains not brawn makes us civilized.

Didn't mean this to get into a debate, I just thought it was funny, but:

I do think in a PERFECT world force would not be needed.

Again, in a PERFECT world, everyone would get their fair share, and be taken care of. Of course, this does not work, as we saw with Communism. There can never be a pure communist state as it's against human nature. On the opposite extreme, there never can be a pure capitalistic state either. It would turn into a class based society very quickly.

I do believe it is great to strive towards a pacifist society, but reality does need to set in. One of a successful government's requirements is to make it's population feel safe and secure.

That being said, a government does need to respond to violent acts against it's people quickly and harshly. Not just to prove it means business, but also to help their citizens feel secure. A government that does not respond WILL be considered weak, and WILL be exploited further. History shows us this again and again.

Keep in mind, it doesn't work being a pacifist against people that don't hold the same belief system as you. It like explaining why you don't need to spank children to rednecks. They just don't understand.

Keep in mind, it doesn't work being a pacifist against people that don't hold the same belief system as you. It like explaining why you don't need to spank children to rednecks. They just don't understand.

exactly. or else I wouldnt have called EQ a fat boy. :D

Well Syn with me here u know where posts like that go :D

I think what EQ meant was inregard to neutral countreys, like sweden and switzerland etc. and not persons.If this is so i agree.
Eq may be a tightass redneck, but hes not stupid.

Force should allways be a last resort and not"the correct respons", Syn got it right basicaly.

Wanting the whole world to give a massive group hug is wanting utopia, but is that realy so bad? Dont we all want our children to have that future?I would give my life for that.

Alot of ppl have died on the 11th, lets try our best to make a higher understanding among all ppl.And not just another Aliance win with sanctions and more hate.

Ps: plz cut LeXy some slack guys, she deserves that..

pacifists......... please go sit in a corner, pray and stay out of the way, while the ones who keep you and your familys alive, do their jobs.

I think its pretty safe to say none of us here are pacifist. If we were we wouldnt be active in UT an extremely violent game.

The only true pacifists were Ghandi and Mother Theresa and the likes. But to make the choice or prefer non violence is the more civilized and desired life for obvious reasons.

Im not so sure that the "oh yeah? I'll show you" mentality is the answer to everything. If you ever witness a person quite capable of handling himself, not lose control when some idiot trys to start a fight, you understand what Im saying.

The respect and accomplishments of true pacifists like I mentioned is astounding. And I do believe that way of life works. Will it ever, no. Because its easier to be violent. Practicing self dicipline is hard. Anyone can pick up a weapon of choice and use it in an act of violence. Choosing NOT to takes control. People in general have little control. So they pick up the weapon of choice and try to control, therefore actually losing control.

Can you say, conundrum?

Nothing in all the world is more dangerous than sincere ignorance and consientious stupidity.

Rev. Martin Luther King

I am thinking, and I am being realistic....... you can believe what most pacifists believe, but violence, regardless of how big or little it may be, will resolve this terrorist problem......... sitting back and praying about it won't solve this.... you know it, I know it, and the rest of the world knows it. The terrorists will continue to kill innocent people until they are stopped.... hence... we MUST find them and stop them at any cost......... even it it means going to war.

Lexy anytime you want to go one on one I will be happy to wipe the floor with you....but I was talking about countries in general not in-duh-viduals. First of all I would not say pacifist are grounded at all. these people are at best wishful thinkers and think if they won't fight back then the other side will lose interest. Pacifist are not the people keeping the US safe for you and your children yet alone the world. You want to pray in a corner ...fine ..you want to cry on the White House lawn about how we should not fight back...that is fine too. I think anyone playing a FPS on teams or in clans in the first place has no right to talk about pacifism..they are hypocrites at worst and have no soap box to stand on. I would go so far to say there is not one pacifist that posts at all to this forum. Why talk about what you don't believe in ? I guess I don't get you people.

All that being said, I do not think war is the answer to all things, but we have ignored this problem too long and it is time for something to be done. These people will not go away and their actions demand swift retribution by whatever we can do possible. We have offered the only viable "peaceful solution" and it has no effect on these so called "people". If you really think we should not do what we are doing then what do you think should be done?

Last edited:
Then you would not be playing UT or anything like that, because of the killing and warfare mindframe. I get that FPS is a game, but to any true pacifist it would be the meaning behind the game. Don't confuse being a nice guy with being a pacififst. They are not the same thing.

UT is just a game......

If u think killing terrorist will solve the problem ur gonna be killing terrorist for a long long time to come..

Your kidding right?? What do you think has been the braodcast message since the attack? We said we were going after the terrorist, we said it was going to take a long time, and we understand that. That is not a new message here in the US and I know it is not in Europe because I have seen international news broardcasts report what Bush and others have said. I also said UT is just a game, but you missed the point. Pacifist would not and do not support violence as a responce let alone for entertainment. Are you saying pacifist are secretly UT players or more generally FPS gamers? Perhaps they are? Perhaps they are not? Which do you think the greater likelyhood is?

Status
Not open for further replies.