David Blunkett resigns ...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

As far as I remember (though I dont have the numbers to back it up) Scotland has voted overwhelmingly for Labour for years, it was a bit of a sticking point that the entireity of Scotland voted against Thatcher, but it made so little difference. The Tories dont go down well here in general, though I cant help but think thats a lot down to "My grandparents voted Labour, my parents voted Labour, so I will vote Labour" without any thought towards why they are voting at all :\

Reactions: $kunk\\'eeD
Re:

On a side not if PR was the system, landslide elections are quite rare, you'd end up with 40% Labour 40% Conservative and 20% Lib Dem give or take a few percentage points for other parties and party trends. Nothing would get done with constant coalition Governments.

Ooo and Ross smells

Reactions: uZi
Andy said:
On a side not if PR was the system, landslide elections are quite rare, you'd end up with 40% Labour 40% Conservative and 20% Lib Dem give or take a few percentage points for other parties and party trends. Nothing would get done with constant coalition Governments.

Gotta disagree there Andy - nothing extreme or dramatic would get done, yes, but the business of government would continue apace.

The big question has gbot to be, what's wrong with society? whilst there are a lot of niggles, there are not that many real heartbreakers - well, not in Europe at any rate.

I have become more convinced as time goes by that people do not elect governments to effect change - they elect governments to STOP the other guy from making changes!

Psychologically, we have a very strong desire for things to remain the same - the phrase "good old days" speaks volumes about our collective psyche. move things around, change stuff in our environment and our behaviour is no different from a gerbil - cortisol levels skyrocket, stress erupts.

As a business owner, personally I just want the government to f**k off and stop producing more and more laws. It makes no difference whether it's the c*nts in red or the b**tards in blue, they are always changing stuff for the worse.

As a citizen, I'd similarly want the government to just bugger off - they are ridiculously bad at the stuff we entrust them to do, and every time they launch a new initiative you can smell the genius before you even hear the flush.

The lib dems may well push PR as a fairness of representation issue, in my opinion it's more about slowing government down - Think of the two most dangerous leaders britian has had in recent times - Blair and Thatcher. With PR, these Monsters would be nothing more than blips on the timeline, rather than the monuments to failure that they have become.

I'm telling you - a government that stood up on day one and said "we are going to keep everything exactly the way it is right now" then did SFA for four years other than caretake would not be a bad thing.

uZi said:
lol thur, now youre just making things up, you reckon that in the last ellection labour only got 40% of the vote.. uhh yea... riiight

and if youre refering to the number of people who didnt make it to the polls... well first of all, how do you know they wouldnt have voted labour, secondly, thats only their own fault innit

Look at Andy's post one down from yours, showing the number of those entitled to vote, and what number actually voted for Labour. You are wrong, I am right (as usual), deal with it. :D

In England, approx 36 million entitled to vote, of whom approx. 25% actually voted Labour.
In Scotland, approx 3 million entitled to vote, of whom approx. 33% actually voted Labour.
In Wales ... well, they were all obviously too busy chasing sheep to realise there was a general election on.

Don't make the classic mistake of equating seats won with actual votes cast. The first past the post system means you can win a parliamentary majority with a tiny percentage of actual votes. When Blair et al bang on about their "landslide majorities" and "massive mandate from the people" it makes me laugh. About 30% of the electorate in the UK are making the decisions for the other 70%. That ain't democracy...

Labour will win the next election, sad but true. "You're not stupid for what you do, you're just stupid that you get caught," saw that quote somewhere, very true imo. Blunket blatently abused his power at least to a certain degree and paid the price, I never liked him but sadly id cards didn't go with him, that is one money and time wasting policy labour will never give up. All part of their "you're safe, honest" campaign of doing useless expensive things to try and make the public feel safe. Don't even get me started on how much money they've wasted on biometrics that even the makers admit is unreliable technology and will sometimes produce incorrect results. Glad to see Blunket go, pity the rest are still there though. I personally will be encouraging everyone to vote for the Green party, no sucking up to Bush with them.

lolz, deleting posts thur.. gg

DICTATORSHIP!!!!!!!!!

remove all welsh bashing references please you autocratic fuck

uZi said:
lolz, deleting posts thur.. gg

DICTATORSHIP!!!!!!!!!

remove all welsh bashing references please you autocratic fuck

I don't delete posts other than my own. In case you missed it, I'm no longer a moderator in this forum, which means I can't touch other people's posts.

So, if people sound off at me like tossers, and I'm in the mood, I'll reply in like manner. :p:

It was me wossie, and you can't make direct personal attacks on people and not get your posts deleted in this forum. I've pissed off lots of people with this same mentality in the P&S forum, sorry!

Thuringwethil said:
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4099581.stm

Came home from work this evening to see this little gem in the news. I can't pretend that I'm anything other than absolutely delighted.

What I can't understand at all is all the comments from people indicating that they can't understand why he felt the need to resign, or how trivial this whole thing is. I simply cannot believe that any normal, tax-paying voter would see things like that.

David Blunkett, like so many politicians, appears to have fallen into the usual trap of thinking that the privileges he is accorded as an MP are his by right to do what he wants with. He obviously needed reminding that he was elected to improve the lives of the people he voted for, and to improve the lot of voters generally. He was certainly not employed to abuse his position to obtain benefits for himself/family/friends which are not generally available to the population at large. Why should his lover get a visa application for a nanny fast-tracked just because her then boyfriend was home secretary? Answer: not at all. People working in the private sector are subject to disciplinary action, including sacking, for abuses of company resources or positions. No less a standard should apply to politicians - the more so given the power they wield over all of us.

Some people, and the government, seem to be complaining about the "gutter press" and the "evil press" fabricating stories and dragging a "decent man down". In fact, IMHO, the press is currently not critical enough of the present government. That aside though, the present government has nothing to complain about. It has systematically reduced and eroded all the normal, democratic safeguards and supervisions for politicians. It has emasculated the House of Lords, stuffing it with more placemen than Maggie ever did. It has reduced parliamentary control on MPs. It has abolished cabinet responsibility for decision-making and placed this in the hands of unelected "advisers".

A free press is, together with the financial markets, about the last effective check we have in this country on the abuse of power by our politicians. Obviously this is not ideal, but the current government have no right to complain - having been the ones to bring things to this pass.

I'm not even going to mention my delight at seeing that totalitarian, authoritarian, mentally unbalanced nutcase that is David Blunkett out of his job.

ur prb thur is u think to much,(u lawyer yet or still training)a nanny fast track woopee fookin doo,a guy resigned from his job due to media pressure. the prb isnt blunkett it`s dicks like u who r better placed to cause the resignation,ur just the future of making money for doing fook all. :moon:

No, the real problem is morons who do not think AT ALL.

Like, for instance, those who insist on txting rather than using plain English. And to think, you even get a vote! what a waste!

Reactions: HUEY
inbreed,buck tooth hick,with my own opinon not just licking somebodys arse coz they call me m8 on the internet :moon: