David Blunkett resigns ...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Cutter

Carbon Allotrope
Oct 8, 2001
http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/uk_politics/4099581.stm

Came home from work this evening to see this little gem in the news. I can't pretend that I'm anything other than absolutely delighted.

What I can't understand at all is all the comments from people indicating that they can't understand why he felt the need to resign, or how trivial this whole thing is. I simply cannot believe that any normal, tax-paying voter would see things like that.

David Blunkett, like so many politicians, appears to have fallen into the usual trap of thinking that the privileges he is accorded as an MP are his by right to do what he wants with. He obviously needed reminding that he was elected to improve the lives of the people he voted for, and to improve the lot of voters generally. He was certainly not employed to abuse his position to obtain benefits for himself/family/friends which are not generally available to the population at large. Why should his lover get a visa application for a nanny fast-tracked just because her then boyfriend was home secretary? Answer: not at all. People working in the private sector are subject to disciplinary action, including sacking, for abuses of company resources or positions. No less a standard should apply to politicians - the more so given the power they wield over all of us.

Some people, and the government, seem to be complaining about the "gutter press" and the "evil press" fabricating stories and dragging a "decent man down". In fact, IMHO, the press is currently not critical enough of the present government. That aside though, the present government has nothing to complain about. It has systematically reduced and eroded all the normal, democratic safeguards and supervisions for politicians. It has emasculated the House of Lords, stuffing it with more placemen than Maggie ever did. It has reduced parliamentary control on MPs. It has abolished cabinet responsibility for decision-making and placed this in the hands of unelected "advisers".

A free press is, together with the financial markets, about the last effective check we have in this country on the abuse of power by our politicians. Obviously this is not ideal, but the current government have no right to complain - having been the ones to bring things to this pass.

I'm not even going to mention my delight at seeing that totalitarian, authoritarian, mentally unbalanced nutcase that is David Blunkett out of his job.

Well, it turned an otherwise tedious day into a Good Day (TM)

The man was a complete and total draconian nutjob. I can only hope his Religious Hatred bill wont get as far or be as harsh without him. We can possibly start to claw back some basic human rights now.

Story has been updated -

Downing Street has named education secretary Charles Clarke as Mr Blunkett's replacement.

Mr Clarke said he was "exhilarated" by the challenge ahead but added: "There will be continuity between David's approach and mine."

:shudder:

Agreed it is good news that the creep has gone. But also agree with Thur about the Press. If they put as much effort into investigating and reporting the crap that goes on in government (I don't know, off the top of my head, Blair lying his tits off) as they do about the politician's private lives then that could only be a good thing.

Aye - damn fine day in British politics.

I have been quite impressed by two bits of news this week -

Firstly, of course, the most short sighted (snigger, snigger) home secretary in decades getting the chop (annoyingly over a technical breach of regulations, rather than being a totalitarian control freak!)

Secondly, it has been good to see some doubt cast on the "suicide" of Dr Kelly the arms inspector. I remain convinced that he was leant upon for pissing off elements within the government, and we witnessed a government execution happening without the press so much as blinking.

I am *disgusted* by the press in the UK. they have no teeth whatsoever. We desperately need a stronger press with a complete bloodlust, watching every politician like a damn hawk, rather than a pack of vultures who only get interested when theere is already blood in the water.

grrrr.

spot my pet peeve? :mad:

I missed this in the news.. I only found out last night when Clark (I think) had the Home Secretary caption under him for a news bite.

Blunkett was a nutjob indeed; typically known for asking for far too much, and then getting just short of what he wanted. He always over specified everything, to get exactly what he wanted in the end.

Well Blunkett, I just hope that your ID card scheme is toasted and that your sucessor isn't as insistant of removing the existing rights of the people in this country. But I fear that we might just have a different face with the same twisted agenda.

It was a sad day for british politics. The first and proberly last honest and truthful being to be in politics has now gone :( ...no im not talking about David Blunkett, im talking about his dog Sadie :dog: We will miss you :wave:

Rob1000100 said:
It was a sad day for british politics. The first and proberly last honest and truthful being to be in politics has now gone :( ...no im not talking about David Blunkett, im talking about his dog Sadie :dog: We will miss you :wave:

:rofl:

Joke all you will. We are still stuck with the party that backed him.
Blunkett will be shown in historical terms to have damaged the labour party beyond repair.(in this timeframe anyway)(and even worse than Tony Blair)
Labour are becomming the new Tories.
Eider duck/Cookoo hybrids imo.
Nest lining pedantic back scratching back door working selfish cnuts.
It can only mean their demise in the long run.
I hope. :D

Tnega said:
Joke all you will. We are still stuck with the party that backed him.
Blunkett will be shown in historical terms to have damaged the labour party beyond repair.(in this timeframe anyway)(and even worse than Tony Blair)
Labour are becomming the new Tories.
Eider duck/Cookoo hybrids imo.
Nest lining pedantic back scratching back door working selfish cnuts.
It can only mean their demise in the long run.
I hope. :D

Mmm. All the evidence I've seen about them so far is that they are at least x2 worse than the tories for sleaze of all kinds.

Dunno if anyone saw this, but there was a feature a while back about attendance at parliamentary debates by serving Prime Ministers. Blairs stands at 6% attendance - lowest of any serving prime minister since records began. All others had 35% or higher overall. Seems he thinks he doesn't need parliament ...

Dangerous thought for a PM to be having...

Incidentally, I wonder how many people in this thread/forum and irl generally who are now complaining about him voted for Blair in '97 and 2001? Y'all got what ya deserved IMO if you believed the shite he was spouting...

Last edited:
Reactions: Perno_H.
Thuringwethil said:
Incidentally, I wonder how many people in this thread/forum and irl generally who are now complaining about him voted for Blair in '97 and 2001? Y'all got what ya deserved IMO if you believed the shite he was spouting...
I cant agree with this at all ... I think that if you voted for them you do have a right to complain - he is a politician, they all spout lies, people tend to vote towards their own tendancies and they didnt think that the tories would represent them.

Its people that didnt vote at all and then complain that I think got what they deserved, if you dont participate in the election process (flawed though it is) then you lose all right to complain about what others voted in or out or any consequences that occur because of it.

I happen to think they are all terrible, tories, labour, hell, I thought the Lib Dems might have it in them till they gave away everything in the Scottish Parliament and just became "Labour Mark II - we vote according to the labour party whip. If people wanted a Labour MSP they would have voted Labour, not Lib Dem.

Reactions: HUEY
Mughi said:
Its people that didnt vote at all and then complain that I think got what they deserved, if you dont participate in the election process (flawed though it is) then you lose all right to complain about what others voted in or out or any consequences that occur because of it.

Since there is so little relation between what a party promises and what it delivers, indeed what it even attempts to deliver, I think there are quite jusitifed grounds to complain for anyone . And those that voted Labour to get rid of the Tories have plenty to complain about, not least a constant display of dishonesty and bloody-mindedness that beggars belief in relation to what Labour used to stand for.
In other words, what you're voting for has so little relevance or permanence, from policy through to idealogy, that it's all completely redundant. You can't count on your favoured potential government for anything other than looking after its own interests.

Reactions: Mushroomhead
Mughi said:
I cant agree with this at all ... I think that if you voted for them you do have a right to complain - he is a politician, they all spout lies, people tend to vote towards their own tendancies and they didnt think that the tories would represent them.

Never said they didn't have the right to complain. I said that they deserved what they got if they voted Labour thinking it would improve anything. Can't agree with comments like "they're better than anything else". On any measure you care to use, they are worse. More corrupt, more illegal wars, more pocket lining, higher taxes, less democracy, less delivery to voters.

Approx. 20 million registered voters, or roughly 60% of all eligible voters didn't believe Labour represented them, yet Labour still came to power by polling less votes than the tories in 1992. Ahh, and how quickly Labour abandoned their cherished Proportional Representation once they came to power...

lol thur, now youre just making things up, you reckon that in the last ellection labour only got 40% of the vote.. uhh yea... riiight

and if youre refering to the number of people who didnt make it to the polls... well first of all, how do you know they wouldnt have voted labour, secondly, thats only their own fault innit