CPU-Temperaturelist

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Bart

Mister Mediocre
Jan 10, 2002
Germany
Updates: 26.03.05; 02.12.07; 07.02.08

There are so many tools, what's the best for measuring temperatures?
  • A tool called CoreTemp is pretty famous for measuring cpu-temperatures. (mirror1, mirror2)
    Unlike most other tools (like Sisoft Sandra for example) CoreTemp shows the temperature of all cores seperately and more accurate.
Nice, but how can i stress my system to the max?

• If you want to know, how much your CPU can be heaten up, use Prime95.
    This tool stresses your system-components (CPU and Ram) heavily and tests the system stability.

Now to the list:
Processor-type: "no danger"; "little danger"; "high danger"
(Temp-values are in Celsius!)

AMD

• Athlon's
    AMD Athlon (socket) upto 1Ghz: over 90°
    Athlon Thunderbird: 5°-69°; 70°-94°; over 95°
    Athlon XP Palomino: 5°-64°; 65°-89°; over 90°
    Athlon Duron (Morgan): over 90°
    Athlon XP Tbred B: 5°-64°; 65°-89°; over 90°
    Athlon XP Tbred A: 5°-59°; 60°-84°; over 85°
    Athlon XP Barton: 5°-59°; 60°-84°; over 85°
    Athlon Sempron Tbred: over 90°
    Athlon Sempron Paris: over 70°
    Athlon 64 Newcastle: over 70°
    Athlon 64 Clawhammer: over 85°
    Athlon 64 FX Sledgeh. (FX-51 / 53): over 85°
    Athlon 64 FX Sledgeh. (FX-55): over 75°
    Athlon 64 FX Clawhammer. (FX-55): over 70°
    Athlon 64 FX Clawhammer. (FX-57): over 70°
    Athlon 64 FX Clawhammer. (FX-62): over 63°
    Athlon 64 FX (FX-70): over 64°
    Athlon 64 FX (FX-73): over 64°
    Athlon 64 FX (FX-74): over 56°
    Athlon 64 X2 Manchester (3800+ to 4200+): over 65°
    Athlon 64 X2 Toledo (4400+ to 6400+): over 65°

• Phenom's
    9500-9600 X4: over 70°

Intel

• Pentium II's (Secc)
    233MHz - 450 MHz: over 72°

• Pentium III's (Secc)
    Pentium III 500-866Mhz: over 80°
    Pentium III (+socket) 933Mhz: over 65°
    Pentium III 1Ghz: 60-70°C
    Pentium III 1.13Ghz: over 62°

• Pentium 4's
    P4 A 2.4GHz: 5°-49°; 50°-69°; over 70°
    P4 B 2.53GHz: 5°-51°; 52°-72°; over 72°
    P4 B 3.06GHz: 5°-48°; 49°-68°; over 69°
    P4 C 2.4-2.8GHz: 5°-54°; 55°-74°; over 75°
    P4 C 3-3.4GHz: 5°-49°; 50°-69°; over 70°
    P4 D 5xx 2.67-3.4GHz: over 70°
    P4 D 805 - 950: over 63°
    P4 D 960: over 68.6°
    P4 E (HT) 2.8-3.4GHz: over 70°
    P4 EE 3.2-3.47GHz: over 65°
    P4 EE 3.73GHz: over 72.8°

• Core2's
    • Conroe
      E4300-E4500: over 61.4°
      E4600: over 73°
      E6300-E6800: over 60.1°
      E6550-E6850: over 62°
      X6800: over 75°

Q6600 B3-Stepping: over 62.2°
      Q6600 G0-Stepping: over 71°
      Q6700: over 71°
      QX6700: over 65°
      Q6800: over 71°
      QX6800: over 54.8°
      QX6850: over 64.5°

• Penryn
      E8190-E8600: over 72.4°

QX9650: over 64.5°

Last edited:
Reactions: sobo
{24}Useless said:
Cheers m8. How do I check my processor temperature from WinXP? Cba going into BIOS.

install a prog like Motherboard Monitor (google the URL)

Nephilim said:
install a prog like Motherboard Monitor (google the URL)

is there one for w2k? cos when I used that program it doesnt show the temperature, all sensors was at 0 degrees :(

thx in advance

/matt

:yawn: motherboard monitor (mbm5) works fine with win2k ... it's you again, maybe you read the help for a change :P

i fixed it but my sensor 3 cant show the temperature its on -1 C :o

RãptðR said:
i fixed it but my sensor 3 cant show the temperature its on -1 C :o
Agree with Sneaky. The most mainboards just got 2 sensors. One for the CPU and one for the chassis-temperature.

i updated the list.
Unfortunally i couldn''t use the same source as i did before, so i found only one (the critical) temperatur.

yeah was gunna say no cpu's should ever be running at those tempreture's a good rule of thumb is to stay under 55 full load if u go over that think about changing something or cleaning your case up because dust catch's fire very easily.

Paa` said:
yeah was gunna say no cpu's should ever be running at those tempreture's a good rule of thumb is to stay under 55 full load
55 degrees is a good and rational temperature limit, but you've to consider that some temperature measuring ways of some mainboards aren't reliable enough.
(For example some mobos have the sensor included in teh sockel / slot. Some have it just near the sockel / slot.)
Even with the best measure ways the showed temperatur can be 5 - 10 degress under the real temperatur.

So when you still have crashes and instabilities, it can be that your CPU gets too hot, although your Bios or Hardware monitoring programm indicates that the temperature is fine.

(btw the experts don't measure with the showed Bios temperature, they measure with a special termometer. The Termometer comes between the cooler and the CPU (or even between the Die and the cooler @ older Athlons). This method provides the most exact values.)

If you are not sure, if your PC gets too hot, just a little test:
run stability programs (or UT2k3/4 ;)). After few hours (without any crashes ofcourse) touch the cooler with your hands. If you can touch it without any problems then it's fine. When you can't touch it (because it's too hot) then it's time to change something.

Paa` said:
if u go over that think about changing something or cleaning your case up because dust catch's fire very easily.
indeed.
I saw plenty computer chassis, psu, cpu and gfx coolers full of dirt and dust. The users wondered why they had crashes and such noisy sounds. After cleaning, the PC wasn't so loud anymore and runs stable. This shows that cleaning (no panic! not in your room, only in your PC ;)) is pretty important.

Before your PC will become so hot that the dirt starts to burn, your computer will crash and won't start anymore. So i believe fire isn't the main issue imo (and i killed (too) many processors by overclocking :hangover: )
Another very interesting information is that some processors (i.e. Pentium 4) will underclock themselves automatically without any warnings or prompts when they get too hot.
Result: you stress your processor continiously without getting any crashes (-> you dunno, beside the fact that ur machine is slower than normal....so you (as a good pc user) should notice anyway ;)).

--------
btw²: When you use cooling creme (instead of a cooling pad) it's adviceable to renew the creme every 6 months. Due the warming and cooling, the creme loses it's effectiveness.

Last edited:
yeah i ran my p4 1.6 without any fans at all it just underclocked it's self when it got hot till i got a replacement fan :p

first post updated.
Be aware that there are tons of steppings and models outthere. If you find a mistake or want summin added, give a yell.

edit: explaining Tjunction in teh first post value wouldnt be that dumb either. prolly later

Last edited:
Nice one.
Everest is a good all around solution, gives core temps, normal temps and gpu temps.
I use speedfan myself on a constant base, because of the little footprint and taskbar ability.
Be aware that certain chipset sensors tend to overcompenstate on the temps.
I also had some experience with linux cpu temp tracking recently, and setting up the sensors there, so if you're in the linux world, gimme a shout if u're in trouble.
Also, would be nice to get the low line of cpus such as celerons and durons.
I'm too lazy to look that stuff up again though ;)
Good job Bart on trying to keep it up to date.

After Penryns are launched, i took the time and added some stuff.
P4 and Conroes, that were missing before are mentioned now.

Especially for squirrel some P2 and P3 madness is involved aswell ;)

Still can't find any reliable informations about the max. temps of new AMD phenoms.
So if you've such infos, pls let us know.

btw, those with dual cores wanting to check temperatures, try CoreTemp.. seems to give the most accurate results according to most[/url]
idd, little handy program. that's why a link to coretemp has been added in my 2nd update ;).
Added ur mirror aswell, so incase one is down, another option is available. :D

Last edited: