Configuring wireless adapter...

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Useless

Bravo
Jun 14, 2002
Scotland
Hi, I bought a D-Link DWL-G510 wireless desktop adapter and plugged it into an available PCI slot. It lights up and I can install all the what-have-yous, but when it comes to detecting networks within range it can't find any, even though I know there is one and that it works (I'm on it now through my old adapter, which can find it). Is there something I'm doing wrong? I've updated the drivers, etc. and the webpage FAQ is no help at all.

I also tried filling in the name of the network manually, typing in the passkey and so on. Still nothing :crap:

Does the adapater have the same IEEE standard as your router? Some adapaters work on Wireless G routers only, some Wireless N only, some both.

edit: also are you letting Windows 'control' the adapater or the software that comes with the driver?

Last edited:
using the same adapter for my guest PC since quite some time and it works great with my WPA2 (AES) wlan.

i'm using the software that has been designed for this card. Actually as i had it new i had a similiar problem (couldnt connect to my wlan), but somehow i fixed it. Dunno how and what was wrong. :hangover:

Cheers, Bart, that's cleared that RIGHT UP.

I dunno about the IEEE thing, Prot, I know little about networks. I have tried letting Windows configure it, but since there is no network appearing in the list for it to work on nothing happens. The adapter came with two different pieces of configuration software, but neither of them can see the existing network either.

our mate useless must have saved millions of pounds with computer help from this forum :rofl:

np :roleyes:

no need to wish me summin RIGHT UP my little buttox there useless :p:

believe it or not, i am actually installing this device right now, after i "upgraded" the guest pc to a whole new system.
atm i am burning the drivers+ssid onto a cd to install it there. Will report how it went.

Last edited:
The router manual should explain what IEEE it is (802.11b, g, or n) and it is then a case of making sure you buy a compatible adapter. Alternatively a google search for the router should also tell you.

Last edited:
done and it works. took about 20secs.
used the drivers which i unzipped years back in the folder called: 20081020-DWL-G510-S0034(18)
Ran setup -> Next -> Next -> Next -> Done

I am running it on WInXP SP3 btw.

Well, SP3 aint necessary, if he has the WPA2-patch installed.
But knowing Useless from his various and colourful computerproblems within all those years i guess it's the best if he give SP3 a go ;)

It's quite suprising how many people still use SP2 or earlier... Not so long ago I got asked to have a look at a laptop that had the same isue that Useless is having and just couldn't work out why it wouldn't see any wireless points. Installing SP3 fixed the problem right away:D suprised I didn't remember to mention that myself in my first post :(

Well, I'm on SP2 right now but it's weird how one adapter, my current one, can find it, while the D-Link one can't. It's still the same type of passkey they both use.

But installing SP3 should fix it anyway, you say?

It's a WPA AES key btw.

uninstall any dlink app thats running and windows wireless config should kick in and find network

I only ever install drivers with wireless connections

Thx Prot.

DB, I currently connect through a plugin USB adapter, but it's weak with no aerial. The D-Link one has an aerial and presumably a much stronger signal, plus it's a PCI card so there's none of the hassle with my PC not detecting the USB adapter. I want to use the D-Link one as my default but I can't if it won't find the network. I don't want this cheap USB thing any more, it's a pain, even if it does find the signal.

If its not finding the network I would go with either a hardware fault or a compatability issue.

As its external, check you've actually got the aerial attached!
Bring the wireless router right next to the PC, doesnt matter about internet you just want to check the wireless capability, even if the antena is damaged it should still get a signal when its right next to it.
Check drivers for the card are upto date, try an older version

Check its not being fussy about the wireless type as suggested by Prot, you could set the router to 11mb/s 802.11b and see what it does.
Ive used windows config and the manufacturer software for wireless config and they all seem to work although the windows one is simpler to use and its easy enough to switch without uninstalling, that is except for a belkin one which was utter bollocks and decided to break windows config as well as not work itself so I could simply switch between the two.

Going by memory (not always wise) I thought that even if your software didnt support WPA2 it would still show the network as available but you wouldnt be able to connect to it?

New development. Now when I ask the associated connection to scan for networks it does show the correct one (below). But even with the Windows box ticked at the top the network is crossed out, unavailable. Might this be because it's in use by the connection I'm currently on?

Still, going into the manufacturer's software, the network still can't be seen and the signal is N/A. I can only see this inactive network through the system tray monitor icon.

Attachments

• Clipboard02.jpg
    Clipboard02.jpg
    29.9 KB · Views: 38
Thanks, but without knowing what the fk an SSID is I'm screwed. Bollocks, maybe I'll just keep pestering them with emails or sell this thing on eBay :\