chess: Gary Kasparov vs. Deep junior

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

if u r an ai-fan fear wladimir kramnik ffs!
he plays anti-computer chess :P

anyway i doubt that these chess engines r really as strong as they seem now that it tied to kasparow
these ties between machine vs human r getting boring and it seems as they dont really play to beat their opponent but to advertise the latest chess engine fs

but theres no doubt ( at least for me ) that computers will develop superior strategies to beat the shit out of our chess brains :P

Get a 'simpler' chessprogram on your computer, like Chess Master 8000 (its on kazaa, 79MB). Put it on the highest level and play against it. I bet it would 0wn you! So it's bollox about computerchess that doesn't play to win.

rgr that, I worte a chess program 20 years ago. And fs it was designed to beat the shit out of everyone. But with only 14k it was not to be :bawling:

Damn:

Deep Blue was custom-built to play chess, a 1.4-ton refrigerator size machine with 418 processors that looked at 200 million positions per second. IBM retired Deep Blue after the 1997 match in New York.

Deep Junior is a software program running on eight processors which calculates 3 million moves per second and evaluates positions better than Deep Blue did. A single processor version of Junior was commercially released two years ago and can be bought for about $50 to run on a PC.

Originally posted by Lex_Mortis
Get a 'simpler' chessprogram on your computer, like Chess Master 8000 (its on kazaa, 79MB). Put it on the highest level and play against it. I bet it would 0wn you! So it's bollox about computerchess that doesn't play to win.

lmao....
guess how many chess comps / chess engines i pld against?
cant count them
and as for the ties... imo the worldchampion is still stronger than the engine but it would get a bad reputation if the worldchampion or any other strong chess player beat the shit outta this program
i honestly dont think that the human is supposed to win as the company organizes that competion and wants to sell their product...
another thing many draws in chess r tactical draws noone makes mistakes or riskful moves so noone will lose
for a computer its way easier to shut any activity on the board down but the human is able to improve his position step by step ( thats the way kramnik did it in bahrain vs deep fritz half a year ago )
once kramnik got rid of both ladies on the board the engine was helpless

oh and ur ai engines would be quite shit without the ready-made openings... without them the chess engine would be lost lol

as u get better in chess the more u ll play with experience and not calculate every possible move like the computer
trust me i know my stuff ;)

Originally posted by «)Fîrë$±ørm(»
i honestly dont think that the human is supposed to win as the company organizes that competion and wants to sell their product...

http://www.ananova.com/news/story/sm_744013.html?menu=news.technology:
The showdown in New York, an official match sanctioned by the World Chess Federation, is billed as Man vs. Machine.

Kasparov, 39, will be paid £350,000 by the federation, the international governing body of the game, for playing Deep Junior, which has not lost a match to a human opponent in two years.

He can earn an additional £185,000 if he wins the six-game match.

http://in.rediff.com/sports/2003/feb/03kasp.htm:
The contest is the first human against computer match under the auspices of the International Chess Federation, known by its French acronym FIDE. It is billed the ‘FIDE Man v Machine World Championship' and has a prize fund of $1 million, including a $500,000 appearance fee for Kasparov.

-
There is a lot money involved. If Kasparov would win, he would get an additional £185,000. If that kind of money is a prize you don't play to draw.. + drawing against it would damage your reputation as überchessgod..

Last edited:
first link:
he won the first chess game of the competion ( 6 games )
thats means shit
i meant that the outcome of a competion is a tie v often
weird enough is the fact that humans always seem to dominate the machine at the beginning of a competion but get so "exhausted" towards the end that they lose or r only able to draw...
and btw drawing means that neither the engine nor the uberchessgod would lose his face at least to me

Last edited:
Originally posted by myself
Deep Junior is a software program running on eight processors which calculates 3 million moves per second and evaluates positions better than Deep Blue did.

3 millions moves per second... how can Deep Junior NOT win?!
A human can never do that kind of calculations, but how did it end in a tie? Why didnt Deep Junior used some überchess tactics to beat the shit out of the puny human??