Charity Fund Raiser - Mt Ventoux Bike Ride

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Stiffler

Ginger Ninja
Jun 9, 2001
Manchester
mtventoux.jpg

Hi all,

This weekend I'll be undertaking a charity cycle ride up a Mountain in France. The ride will raise money for the Orchid Cancer Fund which is a charity dedicated to helping with male specific Caner, with a majority of UTA's members being male I was hoping I'd find some support here ;) I will be riding with a group of others and so far we have raised over £5000

Mt Ventoux is situated in the South of France, ~60 miles north of Marseille, and stands an impressive 1909m high (which is 1.5 times larger than the highest peak in the UK - Ben Nevis). I've attached a Google Earth bookmark for anyone interested at looking at the mountain.

The ride itself is about 35 miles (55 km) although the majority of the time will be spent on the 13 mile (22 km) climb, with ascents taking between 2-3 hours for someone of average fitness. We'll be taking the same route up the mountain as the Tour de France travels when it's included in the route. I've been preparing for this ride for quite some time and have ridden over 200 miles in the last two weeks. I was even in a road traffic accident during training which resulted in me leaving an inprint of my thigh in the side of a Ford Focus (And numerous cuts and bruises to myself).

Heres a picture of my Bike that I'll be using

Please help support us in this challenge by pledging some money to our chosen charity. Any amount however small will be much apreciated!

SPONSER ME

Thank you for your support !

Tim

Attachments

• Mt Ventoux.zip
    543 bytes · Views: 29
Last edited:
Good Luck, don't get distracted by any bollards. Will ave a look at donating when I get back to the comfort of my chair, generosity is someone crushed by smelly pikeys dell computers :angry:
Also hi, college blocks irc :( pm? :P

I've seen the mont ventoux several times and it's said to be one of the toughest climbs in france. Even though it's not as high as for example the cols in the alps, it's endless, steep roads and its eternal sunshine makes it not just physically but also mentally a tough ride.
I think this is a brilliant initiative, and I might get my mums creditcard once she gets back from holidays to donate you some money;)

btw didnt know that there were any other people that like cycling in UTA. I'm glad to see that im not alone :D

Hi all!

I'm back and I did it :D

Just wanted to say thankyou to anyone who donated, we're now raised over 10 thousands pounds, and I'm still looking for donations!!

Here's some pics:
img132011ck.jpg

On arriving in the area we went out on the bikes for a quick 25 miles to stretch our legs. I came across this group painting a field of poppies.

img139618cu.jpg

above you can see Mt Ventoux, this was taken from over 40km away and gives an idea of quite how large it is.

img133119if.jpg

Heres a view closer to the top. After riding through 10km of forrest with an average gradient of 10% we finally emergered above the tree line at the height of 1400m. The road was totally exposed to the sun and wind and the last 7km were possibly the hardest despite the road becoming less steep.

img134218ez.jpg

After riding for well over 3 hours and climbing for 2 hours twenty nine minutes I was totally exausted. (for people who don't know I'm stood just to the right of the sign with the ginger hair)

Heres the view from the top!
img133517ku.jpg

img138914qr.jpg

The day after riding up the mountain we decided to ride all the way round it. Heres a shot taken of Ventoux from the North side:
img137213ht.jpg

Thanks again all, Please don't forget that donations are still welcome and all funds go directly to a Cancer charity!

Tim

Congratulations Tim, you gotta be proud!

Some amazing pictures there. Our donation on it's way soon :]