Capital Punishment in Nigeria

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

TBH, they probably arent signatories of the Declaration of Human Rights, (been busy tonight and havent had the chance to look for the list of sigs) but the point more or less still stands. There is nothing more fundamental than the contents of that declaration.

A quote from the Amnesty International Press Release on the issue:
Background
The Nigerian constitution guarantees the right to life and to freedom from torture and cruel inhuman and degrading punishments and the right to fair trial. Nigeria is a state party to the Convention Against Torture and Other Cruel, Inhuman and Degrading Treatment or Punishment and the International Covenant on Civil and Political Rights. The ICCPR protects the rights to life and in countries which have not abolished the death penalty, sentences of death may be imposed only for the most serious crimes. This has been interpreted by several United Nations bodies, including the United Nations commission on human rights to be limited and not go beyond "... intentional crimes with lethal or extremely grave consequences and ... not to be imposed for non-violent acts such as .. Sexual relations between consenting adults." (Commission on Human Rights Resolution 2002/77, para 4cc).

The case of Amina Lawal does not fit within the strict definition of 'most serious crimes.

id they kill this owman they are breaking that argeement, if they didnt argee with with the act they shouldnt of signed it, i really do think they should be pressured somehow into following it else whats the point of having it in the first place ?

Yeah I agree, before I was of the opinion yes it is wrong, but it's not our place to intervene, however if they have signed into and agreement saying they won't breach basic human rights then they should certainly be pressured into holding their promise. :\

Originally posted by Ajax
id they kill this owman they are breaking that argeement, if they didnt argee with with the act they shouldnt of signed it, i really do think they should be pressured somehow into following it else whats the point of having it in the first place ?

In the previous adultery death penalty case in Nigeria, I believe the EU lead world calls for clemency.

I thoroughly expect that having a major trading block make menacing overtones across the table, without even saying the word "sanctions" would get the *hint* across.

either that, or we simply cut off their e-mail access. without all the nigerian email scams, I am sure their economy would grind to a halt anyway!

Pakistan has sentanced few women to death by stoning for adultery (under the same islamic law) and fortunatly its never actually been carried out(according to bbc)

Zafran Bibi was due to suffer this fate in Pakistan but won her appeal against the sentance in June. The court's full judgement today "found that forced adultery was a form of rape for which the man involved should be punished, not the woman."BBC-News

Shows things are getting better in the world, but this is very slow progress.

hmm, there's far more behind all this then meets the eye...

for one, there's a HUGE difference in the way islam is being followed all over the world... the koran consist of the old testament, together with the prophecies of mohammed...it's not that different from christianity at all...

there are 5 rules that all muslims must follow, one of which is not to hurt any other human being... "ANY" normal muslim will abide to those rules and follow them... the thing is that someone made "muslim laws" to the most extreme form and tried to imply them... any "modern" muslim would disagree with them, but as with christianity, there are extremist who do try to imply them...

when these extremist get's power in a country, they can impose these laws to all people and by force keep them..

this happened in pakistan, and is still somewhat implied in Iran and Irak...

the most extreme muslims however, live in certain rural area's in africa. The country's where these people live usually are unstable and unable to enforce their laws they created (or signed internationally) on them, and so they have free movement to enforce theirs...

that is exactly what happened in Nigeria, a rural community enforced the extreme muslim laws and the gouvernment is unwilling or unable to interfere with their way of enforcing their laws...

imo these people and ESPECIALLY the children of these people should be educated well enough by normal muslims to see what it is all about...

i would like to add that all 5 of the worlds religions have EXPLICIT statements that you should respect ALL OTHER HUMANS...

if everyone would live according to the main "basic" rules of any of these religions, the world would be a lot happier place..

(p.s. statement made by an atheist :p: )

Originally posted by jwer_NL
i would like to add that all 5 of the worlds religions have EXPLICIT statements that you should respect ALL OTHER HUMANS...

if everyone would live according to the main "basic" rules of any of these religions, the world would be a lot happier place..

I would still take that a stage further and say that only if it is set out in the declaration of human rights. After that, if you want to cut your toenails in a particular order, if you want to stand up in a meeting of your similar minded people and speak in tongues, if you want to be sky clad for a handfasting nobody has the right to stop you ( as long as it falls within the local laws, that should also be in line with human rights).

Originally posted by jwer_NL

Aye, about sums up my view as well.

and then they dare call themself a human society!

well fuck me ... sounds more like the stone age

just saw someone saying "you have the right to own your property without it being stolen" in this topic. it has NOTHING to do with this subject, and in my opinion it's wrong from the beginning. if you own something, you have taken it or recieved it, from what and who? from everyone else. it's egoistical and it causes every other practical problem you'll find in the world. leave it out for another topic, (damn irritating to find it hear, compared with "you have the right to live" which is something totally different)

who are you to tell a person of true faith in a religion (based on a written book or anything else, doesn't matter) that he is wrong in his belief? you might think "you'll go to jail where we live" but he knows he's going to burn in hell. we've got nothing to add when it comes to judgement based on religious belief. it's up to everyone to convince them they're wrong if they may, but it's still a matter of belief, and you're no more religious than them in that aspect, which makes it very strange hearing you think you are right by default...

personally i'd like to have death-penalities for theft (since it would stop ppl doing it), while at the same time it should be understood that crimes as rape/murder in many cases will be done whatever the punishment is. there shouldn't be a need for theft (and thereby noone should have to be killed), and the only reason there is need for theft is because (read above) some ***** saying "you have the right to own...".

it's sad she is murdered (the way she is murdered in probably is pedagogical in their opinion, so let it be), but she's still murdered in my opinion (although where is the difference... ever). i'd feel better if she wouldn't be punished, but on the level of "law and order" i've got nothing to add.

Originally posted by FluidEye
who are you to tell a person of true faith in a religion (based on a written book or anything else, doesn't matter) that he is wrong in his belief?
you might think "you'll go to jail where we live" but he knows he's going to burn in hell. we've got nothing to add when it comes to judgement based on religious belief. it's up to everyone to convince them they're wrong if they may, but it's still a matter of belief, and you're no more religious than them in that aspect, which makes it very strange hearing you think you are right by default...

Who am I?

Someone who demands evidence, rather than giving credence to a bundle of prejudices and mumbo jumbo because it makes someone feel good.

My Mother's church is a bunch of freaks and weirdos who believe in miraculous healing (although canot provide a single case for examination) and a whole bunch of nastiness.

To say she has the right to hold this belief is fine, and proper.

To support her nutjob friends in trying to kill homosexuals because of that belief is utter bollocks.

If someone wants their own waccy religion accepted, it's easy. just provide proof

Yep `holy sorts' are mad...no 2 ways about it...sorry if that offends any1 but I cant put it any other way. I mean come on, to believe half of the bible or koran or any other holy scriptures u gotta be a bit short changed eh. My gran is a bit holy and is as mad as a bottle of chips.

Every so often u get a `religious nut' story comes up in the press. Last major 1 i can think of was David Koresh and his flock. U know the guy, he was impregnating all the women in that ranch in Waco, Texas. The FBI bungled the raid (lost 4 officers i think) & the complex burnt down killing every1 inside. I remember it got me thinking at the time about how this guy was portrayed in the media as an absolute fruitcake with a satanic streak running through him. His `beliefs' & `teachings' were ridiculed as he was made public enemy number 1...even here in the UK. Why was this when in principle, he & his followers were basically the same as that lot that gather at ur local church every Sunday. What i mean is Koresh could have produced as much real evidence of his religion as any other...nothing. They're all crazy...its just that he was crazier.

Koresh was no more mad imo.
He was just a priest getting pussy.
Religion has fkd this planet good and proper.
Bunch of whining hypocritical bastards-not one of them can keep to their beliefs.
Time for a new topic?