Burnout 3

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Inferno

Greatness Personified
Jun 8, 2001
Canada
Wow. Just wow. I haven't played the previous games in the series so I can't compare them but I can tell you that this is by far the best arcade-style racer I've ever played (ever). This game beats the pants off the whole NFS series and then spanks it with a big wooden paddle (ooooh, kinky). The controls are perfect, the graphics are fantastic, and the sense of speed is even better than F-Zero GX (not a typo); actually, a few of the cars are too fast (such as the formula 1 racer and a lambourghini-like car), you'll find yourself rubbing against the wall half the time with those ones. I'm sure most of you know that a large part of this series is the crashes, well, they've taken that to a new level witht he Aftertouch feature. You can now hold down a button to slow time when you crash and alter the course of your wreck. You can use this to make the crash more spectacular or, more importantly, to get in the way of other racers, causing them to smack into you. Apart from the regular races there's also the crash mode where the goal is to drive into an intersection and try to cause as much damage as possible -- it doesn't sound terribly deep but it's a lot like a puzzle game and will keep you coming back to it.
There are some annoyances such as the rubberband AI and...uhhh, actually, that's all I can think of. I don't know when the PAL version's gonna be released (or if it's already out over there) but everyone MUST own this game.

Oh, a little disclaimer: I am by no means a hardcore racing game fan, the only games I've really loved (excluding kart games) are NFS3 and F-Zero GX so I'm certainly not an expert on racing games (however, every review I've read seems to agree with me).

One last thing, I forgot about it because I really don't care but there are probably people out there who won't like the fact that there are no licensed vehicles in the entire game.

I didn't like Burnout 2 at all, well.. I played it for a day, and my brother played it for 2½ days.
I'm just not a fan of arcade racers =)
I've heard good things about Burnout 3 though.

Okay, I found another annoyance, some of the races are just too damn hard. Actually, the races aren't hard, it's the time trial-like event called a Preview Lap. You've all played a time trial, I'm sure, so there's no reason to explain the basics but they give you one of those obscenely fast cars that I mentioned and forces you to make it through the course WITHOUT CRASHING. Well, you can crash but there's no way you're going to get gold if you do (unless it's a 2+ min event, in which case you can crash once). For those of you who played F-Zero GX, the frustration level is kind of like the last chapter in story mode (the one with the ghost car).

Anyway, I still think this game is great but those preview laps are a huge pain in the ass. Fortunately, they're pretty rare, I've completed about 35% of the events and I've only come across 3 of them (all of which took about 15-30 mins to beat).

Inferno said:
You've all played a time trial, I'm sure, so there's no reason to explain the basics but they give you one of those obscenely fast cars that I mentioned and forces you to make it through the course WITHOUT CRASHING. Well, you can crash but there's no way you're going to get gold if you do (unless it's a 2+ min event, in which case you can crash once).

Sounds like Gran Turismo :scream:

Okay, found some more flaws (still a great game, though). Whenever you cause someone to crash the action slows down and the camera shows the car wipe out; they did a pretty good job of making it so you don't crash while you can't see your car (it's impossible for you to crash while it's like this) but you have no control so sometimes you'll be headed for a wall and you'll be unable to swerve out of the way. So, obviously, when the game goes back to normal you'll head right into that wall. Now, to be fair, that slow motion thing has saved my ass just as many times as it's screwed me but I really wish you could turn that off (even if it does look awesome).

It's also kind of annoying when you cause another car to crash but you crash at the same time so you don't get the credit.

Hmm, I'm being entirely too negative about this game, some of you might get the wrong idea about it's quality. The feeling of racing through crowded streets with 5 other cars trying to slam you against the wall or into an oncoming bus is just euphoric. The crash mode's fun and so is road rage (where you have to make other racers crash as many times as possible in 3 mins) but this game has the best actual racing I've ever experienced; pulling off a perfect drift (the only reason you'll ever need the brake), weaving in between oncoming traffic, and slamming another racer over a guard rail and down a cliff are just some of the fantastic things you can experience in this game.

And, Rob, this is certainly not Gran Turismo.

Okay, I feel dumb. It turns out you can turn off the slow motion takedown camera. Also, some of the races later in the world tour mode (where you unlock stuff) are quite difficult, especially when you have to use that stupid US Circuit Racer which slows to a crawl whenever you touch a wall (rhyme unintentional).

Aaah Carmageddon, the killer game of all car games. Literally. Cow plowing was good fun. It's a shame the followups were crap