Building A Hovercraft

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

PyROm451

Jun 12, 2001
For some unkown reason I have decided to build a radio controlled model hovercraft from scratch. I will post pictures of my progress in here as im too lazy to write a webpage for it :P

When done it will be 1060mm long and 520mm wide, it will have 3x 10-cell battery packs and run 3 motors (1 for lift, 2 for thrust).

Below is a picture of the wood which I have just finished marking out (you cant see pencil lines in photo).

Attachments

• hc01.jpg
    72.3 KB · Views: 226
Can u give me some of ur time? U got too much :lol:
Anyway, i wanna see the end result :footy: Pyrom :footy:

All bits sawn out (apart from skirt and lift ducts, not sure how to cut them out yet) and awaiting glue. Gotta glue lots of balsa supports to the bulkheads now (the four small rectangles on right).

Attachments

• hc02.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 198
Just finished glueing up the bulk heads to the bottom of the hull, also glued strengthening balsa strips down 1 side panel. Earlier i cut out the lift ducts and the skirt duct.

Attachments

• hc03.jpg
    104.1 KB · Views: 161
One side of the hovercraft glued on :) and the second side with reenforcing balsa drying behind it. Pins didnt hold side on well enuf, so ended up resorting to cloths pegs, which worked better then I expected.

Attachments

• hc04.jpg
    112.8 KB · Views: 145
lol, its only 1/3 of total width atm, and hasnt got skirt attached :P

All sides attached to hull now (in background at an angle) currently got the top center deck drying with reinforcements/something to glue onto down sides (with gaps for bulkheads).

Attachments

• hc05.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 129
Reactions: BRaiNRaiN