Bandwidth monitor by IP

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Thrasher (_!_)

=]????[=
Feb 21, 2002
Staffs,UK
Does anyone know of a tool etc that will allow me to monitor a port on a managed switch so I can see how much bandwidth each IP going through that port is using?

Doing it remotely via SNMP or locally with a PC connected to a mirror/monitor port on the switch are both OK.

Although I dont use it solely for bandwidth, I use PRTG on my server to monitor things like that, can be setup to use SNMP.

Would Cacti be an alternative?

Although I dont use it solely for bandwidth, I use PRTG on my server to monitor things like that, can be setup to use SNMP.

Would Cacti be an alternative?

Yup, if all devices supports SNMP protocol. It also depends what info these devices sends via SNMP.

If ur using a Cisco switch, u can do an "ip accounting" on the interface

Thanks for replies....the switch will probably be a 3Com or HP.
I doubt either of those would report bandwidth by IP via SNMP. I was hoping for some monitoring software that would receive a copy of all traffic on a particular port and calculate the bandwidth per IP?

I believe that you'd have to enable Port Mirroring on the port you want to monitor - otherwise you'll only get traffic for your MAC address