Backup UT2k4

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Mushroomhead

I'm so sorry I made a mistake!!
Feb 1, 2004
Behind You
Ok, ive nearly broken my ut2k4 dvd, its slightly scratched :(

I burnt a copy of it in roughly 10 minutes last night :cool:

but it said go to. . .

www.secur. . something .com/copy

i did this it made f all sense to me, reading. . .writing and spelling arent my strengths.

Ofcourse ive now updated it so can't get the message cos u dont need the cd :bounce:

If i were to format and bugger it up again, would this copy allow me to install it or would i get the message again does anybody know? If so how can i get around it, because i need a backup copy before the genuine dvd dicintergrates :mad:

cheers

I have an idea, but I don't know if it will work in practise, so don't have me hanged if it doesn't work.

1) Burn the content of your current \UT2004 folder instead of copying the installation disc itself, as that would never work out, iirc. Then copy it to your harddisk.

2) Run "regedit" from your start menu.

In there you need to create all the following keys (looking like folders).
The ones missing of course.

\HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\Unreal Technology\Installed Apps\UT2004\

If you have the game installed now you can see how it looks like with your game installed and fully functioning.

3) Now you need to add the stringvalues in the last folder of the key. The \UT2004
folder.

Strings needed for it:

(Default) = (Value not set)
ADMIN_RIGHTS = "You need to run this program as an administrator, not as a guest or limited user account."
CDKey = "XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX
Folder = "C:\UT2004"
NO_DISC = "No disc in drive. Please insert the disc labeled 'Unreal Tournament 2004 Play Disc' to continue."
NO_DRIVE = "No CD-ROM or DVD-ROM drive detected."
TITLEBAR = "Unreal Tournament 2004"
Version = "3339"
WRONG_DISC = "Wrong disc in drive. Please insert the disc labeled 'Unreal Tournament 2004 Play Disc' to continue."
YEAR = "2004"

Take a good look at your current key, cause it has to look excactly like it.
(Eventually take a screenshot).

I have marked the ones you need to edit yourself, with bold+blue.

I'd be amazed if that didn't work out, but as I said, I haven't tried it myself, so I don't know if it will work..

But better try that, than buying a new copy ;)

Last edited:
Reactions: Perno_H.
Mushroomhead said:
Ok, ive nearly broken my ut2k4 dvd, its slightly scratched :(

FFS how many time i have to say that, dont put cds into your mouth!

Seriously is that your or dvd drive fault? asking cause if its dvd drive fault cd could be broken, i had smoth like that and i did send the cd to where i bought it, and they sent me a new one ;)

I have my 2k4 on a seperate partition which never needs clearing; whenever I format my system drive, I simply run the regfix app (see attached) to get 2k4 working again.

If you have a DVD burner, feel free to burn your installation to a DVD with this app.

Attachments

• regfix2k4.zip
    275.6 KB · Views: 50
Ok my UT2k4 DVD has a WEIRD error

I simply cannot use ANY exe files ?

1) I couldnt use setup.exe

So Ok manual install: I googled for stuff and found Regchecker that would do my Reg entries. Then copied the DVD and got help from a site on how to uncompress .uz2 files.

Its based on a reg file which adds an option "uncompress" in the drop down menu when you right click on a uz2 file. (see attachment)

the code in said uz2.reg is:
Code:
Windows Registry Editor Version 5.00

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\.uz2]
   @="uz2_auto_file"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\uz2_auto_file]
   @="UT2004 compressed file"
   "EditFlags"=dword:00000000
   "BrowserFlags"=dword:00000008

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\uz2_auto_file\DefaultIcon]
   @="C:\\UT2004\\System\\UnrealEd.exe,0"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\uz2_auto_file\shell]
   @="decompress"

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\uz2_auto_file\shell\decompress]

[HKEY_CLASSES_ROOT\uz2_auto_file\shell\decompress\command]
   @="C:\\UT2004\\System\\UCC.exe decompress %1"

It all worked out nicely, I get the additional option in the dropdown menu, but since its based on the UCC built in uncompress function it gives me the same strange error than the initial setup.exe

Im being told that the programm exceeds my memory limitations. (attachment 2) "The program is too big for the memory"

this goes for ALL .exe files that I copied from the DVD, includes UT2004.exe; even the dxsetup.exe from the Direct X dir is affected :\

Now I tried googling about that but obviously noone has had that prob, but maybe some of you know what could cause it neway.

Mush said it could have something to do with the apps trying to use DIFFERENT memory and I think I also read something alike somewhere but lost it, maybe that helps somebody ?

Attachments

• decomp.jpg
    decomp.jpg
    4.4 KB · Views: 355
  • memory.jpg
    memory.jpg
    14.6 KB · Views: 333
Last edited:
I attached the properties window of the UCC.exe

However bear in mind that you COULD have a different one due to patching the game, this one is the one from the DVD, so I suppose the unpatched version of the game.

Attachments

• uccexe.jpg
    uccexe.jpg
    32.9 KB · Views: 330
Is this a screenshot of the file props on the DVD; or the copied file? i.e. are they the same filesize before and after?

Do you get the same error when trying to run the file straight from the disc?

I have the original disc; so all my comparisons would be from there.

You should be able to run UCC directly from the disc; have you tried that first? Have you tried running it on different systems?

Attachments

• ucc.jpg
    ucc.jpg
    121.8 KB · Views: 16
Last edited:
thats the file from my hard drive
cant run from disc either (see other post, couldnt run the disc's setup.exe either. I get the same error abour memory)
As for the actual file on the disc, cant check right now because my dads comp is off (mine cant read the DVD :confused: ) but it should be the very same file because its nowt but *copied* to the hard drive

yeah im actually purchasing the game as we speak.
purchased already 90,4 % of it so maybe its gonna work then :D