are my eyes fooling me??

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Looking at what most people in here say, it sounds like most of you just want AS2 (the sequal) with better gfx, same weapons, maybe even same maps, and same gameplay..
Instead of whining about how different this will be from UT assault and how much you like UT assault, try making contructive suggestions on how to make a good "sequal" to assault with lots of NEW exiting gameplay.. I'd rather see assault evolving beyond what it is now, as assault as we know it does imo have flaws which can not be fixed by simply tweaking things.
Im sure willhaven didnt join these forums, just to hear how much better the old assault were as to the new assault they are making.

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
and, like i've already said, CANT be completed in under 2-ish minutes... and thats with ZERO defense whatsoever.

that sounds like a lot of boring running to me :/

and doh, there is an almost infinite number of games with assault gametypes, yet we all still play UTA because it is different from all these, what willhaven tells us about 2k4as sounds alot like it was going into the general direction all other assault games are going, vehicle warfare, dynamic objectives etc. those things are great, but theres a reason i still play assault and not battlefield or RTCW, and i guess its understandable if i would like the next assault to be a better version of the assault i play atm, not a downgraded one with some fancy new unneccessary mainstream features.

Sauron said:

and doh, there is an almost infinite number of games with assault gametypes, yet we all still play UTA because it is different from all these, what willhaven tells us about 2k4as sounds alot like it was going into the general direction all other assault games are going, vehicle warfare, dynamic objectives etc. those things are great, but theres a reason i still play assault and not battlefield or RTCW, and i guess its understandable if i would like the next assault to be a better version of the assault i play atm, not a downgraded one with some fancy new unneccessary mainstream features.
aye well spoken!

More people would have kept playing assault if you'd take 5 minutes out of your day and taught them how to launch, taught them the little tricks that make the game fun to play. Remember when someone taught you how to launch? What an exciting time that was. And when you start to find different spots to launch (even if they already were known) just discovering them by yourself made it so fun. In my opinion, vehicles will ruin it, just like removing launching will. Who cares if it was a bug, don't you realize how fun the game became with it? Make it a feature if you don't consider it one. If i remember right, reading the description of the impact hammer states something about using it to launch yourself to higher places.
I don't know, maybe it is time for a new form of gameplay, but i don't think changing the things they are can ever make it better than UTAS. :|

just call it "ModernAssault" instead of assault :p: i guess a lot of ppl got dissapointed here coz of there hopes they'd get a new assault "update".. maybe talk to ROAR team who re-made classic assault and add it in ut2k4? ;) ClassicAssault and ModernAssault ;)

ok i'll stop ranting .. ;)

have u played riverbed3, golgotha, ballistic, desertstorm, riverbedal, ? sounds like u played only the defalt 1ns

Rel@x said:
maybe talk to ROAR team who re-made classic assault and add it in ut2k4? ;) ClassicAssault and ModernAssault ;)

lol, i guess you didnt read that big thread in the official forums where Doc_Edo accused epic of stealing his code and everyone else of being ungratefull pricks because they dared to critisice his awfull maps. :)

-=¤willhaven¤=- said:
i played AS last night.

most of the matches ended within 2 minutes. lots ended in under a minute where the guy who got the final objective had over 100 points and most other people had 1-10. though sometimes we could defend the final points in hispeed for a while.

Why don't you come and play one of our fun matches? 6v6? With some players of even skills and who know a bit about defending as well as attacking? It sounds like the server you were on wasn't up to much. :\ This isn't just assault either, a lot of public servers for a lot of games are full of idiots. If you fancy playing in a funwar with a bunch of us, let us know. :thumb: We could arrange something over irc/icq or the likes... Maybe then you'll see what we're talking about.

Sauron said:

Downgraded version of assault? lol
Tell me.. have you ever played battlefield?
Then tell me, are there dynamic objectives? are there space combat? are there loads of different weapons and auto cannons.. i think not..
RTCW doesnt even have vehicles afaik..
Now tell me, where is "the general direction of assault" ?

hey will. great to see you inputting into these forums even tho some ppl go overboard sometimes :rolleyes:

I've been here a long time too and its true what you say , people got fed up with learning launches etc and basically only hardcore gamers survive here. its also true that taking a little time to show people the ways helped some players stay here. I remember when i started a clan a few years ago here named UTM i could only look for lesser quality players (n00bs) to join it as better players wanted to play higher divisions. But taking time showed players staying here. allot of players i helped are still here today and have eneded up better players than me now some of them.

I think from what it sounds like you are saying it will be a good sequael and i will certainly give it a good try before writing it off like some others here. Like dog said earlier i am also looking for something fresh into assault, the people in my opinion who want the same as ut can just carry on playing ut as far as im concerned, new games are supposed to be new games at the end of the day.

Its true what some people have said about spam. But if maps are larger that will fix it basically , because spam will be impossible. As for launching ,i think it will be better off without them as there just frustrating.

2 questions though,
1. will it have an impact hammer ? (although i dont like launches think the hammer adds a good aspect of tricks)
2. Have weapons placement been taken into account carefully to avoid spam?

allot of maps that are spammy arent helped by placement and weapons available. (Guardia look at the weapons there , rocket launcher flak shock rifle) all for a small corridored map.

that vechile video someone added is great

willhaven features in it too! about 75% in

yes i have played battlefield else i wouldnt comment on it, rtcw has some vehicles which you dont directly drive but play an important role, rtcw is also the game with the dynamic objectives. and i didnt talk about space combat, but to me it seems like it doesnt really matter if you fly around with a spitfire or some kinda spacefighter. both battlefield and rtcw have stationary guns just as 2k4as will have, general direction? there you go.

Hawk said:
hey will. great to see you inputting into these forums even tho some ppl go overboard sometimes :rolleyes:

I've been here a long time too and its true what you say , people got fed up with learning launches etc and basically only hardcore gamers survive here. its also true that taking a little time to show people the ways helped some players stay here. I remember when i started a clan a few years ago here named UTM i could only look for lesser quality players (n00bs) to join it as better players wanted to play higher divisions. But taking time showed players staying here. allot of players i helped are still here today and have eneded up better players than me now some of them.

I think from what it sounds like you are saying it will be a good sequael and i will certainly give it a good try before writing it off like some others here. Like dog said earlier i am also looking for something fresh into assault, the people in my opinion who want the same as ut can just carry on playing ut as far as im concerned, new games are supposed to be new games at the end of the day.

Its true what some people have said about spam. But if maps are larger that will fix it basically , because spam will be impossible. As for launching ,i think it will be better off without them as there just frustrating.

2 questions though,
1. will it have an impact hammer ? (although i dont like launches think the hammer adds a good aspect of tricks)
2. Have weapons placement been taken into account carefully to avoid spam?

allot of maps that are spammy arent helped by placement and weapons available. (Guardia look at the weapons there , rocket launcher flak shock rifle) all for a small corridored map.
Can only agree on that.. now please spare us for more "we want our old assault back" i highly doupt epic is going to change the game just because of a few people whining here..

As to the first question above:
I'd guess the shieldgun will be there? you can "hammerjump" with that too!

if the shieldgun is there you can use it like a hammer, but you wont be able to use it to launch with as thats was fixed in 2k3, the shieldgun in the roar mod was modded to launch with though so would be easy to mod it for a league as mod or something if the style of game play suited launching.

nice , hammerjumping (shieldgunning :/ ) gives a piece of individual skill that players can practice and train on thier own at.

Penny said:
Why don't you come and play one of our fun matches? 6v6? With some players of even skills and who know a bit about defending as well as attacking? It sounds like the server you were on wasn't up to much. :\ This isn't just assault either, a lot of public servers for a lot of games are full of idiots. If you fancy playing in a funwar with a bunch of us, let us know. :thumb: We could arrange something over irc/icq or the likes... Maybe then you'll see what we're talking about.

Penny, did you get any response offlist to this?

Whilst I wouldn't expect my own rantings to be taken too seriously ;) This was a damn good offer, and a chance to see straight from some of the hardcore AS players what's great about the current version.

If, that is, there's any intent to do more than simply drum up business for the new version.