AoE III

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

dlm said:
you played the demo?
had the same doubts, till i played it.
Yeah I did and that's why I wrote that up there somewhere in the middle. Don't you get the feeling that the interface is huge and the actual screen with the moving stuff is small? It feels like they'd rather show a bunch of menues instead of the game, really weird :p:

I've heard you can mod it to show further away but I dunno, I shouldn't have to modify my own game to make it playable :o

I used economy nations in Aoe2 because I often played defensively and then tried to kill enemies in one big attack..

yet I always lost too :lol:

I only played the campaign bit of the demo and almost instantly uninstalled it after that.
Bugged piece of shit with the subtitles appearing 10 seconds before they start to speak.

(Yes, I know I didn't say anything about the game, which seemed alright... it's just that the entire Western theme is old, gay and old and old. Add that to the fact that I was more of a Rise of Nations fan...)

go on dueling u 2 :argue: thread is getting interesting :coolfip:

now 'bout AOEs, i played about all those biassed games on solo *cough* imo these ppl dno how to balance a game, i wouldnt play it online though seeing how En$eMble shaped their games, there must be all kind of pathologic rushing kiddies out there, whats the fun in that, hmmm tactic?

Game has gone gold some days ago yet I can feel tons'o'patches coming around the corner. En$eMble $hit'n'co should take lessons at Blizzard and other genious ppl alike :P And yes UI will have a reduced setting, as many fans posted smaller photoshopped UIs on En$eMble forums or smthg, they announced a smaller UI will be included in final release.

Musics sound OK and cannons sound very fine when firing somewhere in the map out of screen bounds. Yeh yanks will be happy to replay their grandpa adventures in the open wild but it looks abit like over-mythologized to me. Spanish voices are just realistic, hopefully other nations will get such good voices :D.

Homecity and player deck based on a level are fine additions to the series, but im sure En$eMble will find a way to fuck all the effort and get us another unbalanced gaYme, u can trust M$ influence for that!

tbh I enjoyed teh demo but I reckon I play En$emble games most of all to see what shouldnt be done in a game!

;)

oh and they will make a stronger outpost instead of this nerfed shit they packed in teh demo! and also BEWARE cos i read treasure guards will stop sk8ing and omgf even HIT ur HP from now on!!!!!1 see how En$eMble studio are not so shit like they look in the first place?!?... i dun. All this might look ok as its only demo still u can be sure they'll find a way to bitch their fans OH W8 they done it already!

Formation (or stance dno exact term) was removed already => U WONT SEE THIS IN FINAL VERSION cause they proly were unable to adapt it into their $$-MAKING game

... look them units already wait untill they arrange perfectly their position with each other in middle of a decisive battle while opponent is slashing them :rofl: Now thats dumb aint it?

Last edited:
Popioul said:
there must be all kind of pathologic rushing kiddies out there, whats the fun in that, hmmm tactic?

rush is nice, u must be on guard everytime.

U can pick the right civ to prevent rushes and counter attack. U must prac these tactics, so by playing it just solo won't get u to win on the internet. A real pro is very difficult to rush, tbh i don't understand your point Pop, the argument is a bit weak imo.

he_who_ownz_me_at_UT said:
U can pick the right civ to prevent rushes and counter attack
...and i guess some civs are vastly under-played...

Now ur right Bieb, counter tactics based on rush is the solution i guess, my point is i dont like to play "RTS" or micro world management this way so i stick to solo rather. I'd focus on advancments and economy rather and enjoy that way :)

But my post was not focused on my way to play really ;) it was just a point among many others why i dislike this ma$$ money making company, after all they contracted with M$ aint it?

ps: and yes my pov is definetly infleunced by the fact that im a solo player.

Last edited:
Biebel said:
rush is nice, u must be on guard everytime.

U can pick the right civ to prevent rushes and counter attack. U must prac these tactics, so by playing it just solo won't get u to win on the internet. A real pro is very difficult to rush, tbh i don't understand your point Pop, the argument is a bit weak imo.

me and you should have played Goth x2 vs Britons/Mayans back in the day

yea they should have "lose formation" by default and only do formation if you perss a button. also the priests walk sidewards o.0

and i agree with popioul.... i suck at these games although they are fun, so i hate when i get rushed before i can build a defense :D

Mushroomhead said:
me and you should have played Goth x2 vs Britons/Mayans back in the day

i reckon if the opponent sees we have goths, they wont take archer civ, they will take a good infantry civ like japanese or aztecs with strong swordsmen or they would take a cavalry civ like franks......

Biebel said:
i reckon if the opponent sees we have goths, they wont take archer civ, they will take a good infantry civ like japanese or aztecs with strong swordsmen or they would take a cavalry civ like franks......

fs obv it would depends on the oppo being idiots and not noticing! oh those throwing axe dudes were cool

you cant compare it to wc3/tft pop, in warcraft it was aboslutely pointless to concentrate on defense. because you would be vaporized once your opponent arrived with his lvl6 hero + army when your stuck with 3 level 1 heroes..

I think in AoE once a game does last a bit longer, you can win be being a gfood def player ! once you won a battle you can counter attack your opponents weakended army.

Also now with groups of 5 popping out of barracks+stables and the standing army feature in the church by the time you get there your opponents probably has filled his army limit again..

Generally the time you need to reach your pop limit/create an army is greatly reduced now so I think rushes will lose importance + games will last longer.

Its more about economy now because you cant build army when your out of resources. the actual build time has lost importance.

I also like the cards feature, but havent looked into the balance of that. do all civs the same cards ?

If im not wrong, each player chooses 20 cards among common cards (u might also unlock some more that are still common to all nations). Than u can also unlock afew more cards specific to ur nation.

Most cards are usable one time only during a game, but some few cards can be used indefinetly. In order to choose a card and use it u gotta wait for ur XP to increase in a given amount. Depending on the card, u might not use it untill u develop to a certain Age (after updating ur TC).

with balance i ment that some might not have the fort wagon card or factory wagon card but other "good" cards and to what entent these be balanced.