Anti-Mercing Idea

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

T-Online has at least 2 completly differnent IP ranges where I get my IPs from (well of cause they have 562726 more :p: ) and also the hostname assigned to you is dynamic regardless what name you set on ur PC.

Dont think it will work

In the Quake ladder , that was the way we used to do it hardcore, people used there player pass (as what would be for ut) for when you sign up for the league.

so people from clan ladder on the uta league site can enter.

:yes obviously people can give thier pass to other players , but it will reduce mercing slightly outright , but the theory is to force players to use full clan names in matches , and any suspition of a merc , u know which player to blame and ask about it.

so eg:

stealth in mi5

stealth has unique player pass

in matches all players be forced to use full name

-Mi5-stealth

(dont thinkmi5 take 56kers :P)

Actually, I think Paa has hit the solution right on the head :)

If a UT mod (seperate from LeagueAS) ran on the server, and asked the forum server to validate a player's details as they connected, it could automatically assign them to the correct team, just like the clan password does just now...

and some careful coding would allow it to drop dead if the forum server was non-contactable..

So, If the forum server is up, you use your forum account/password to connect to the war, only getting access if you are a properly registered member of the clan, whereas if there's a problem with the forum server, it drops back to "normal" leagueas clan password model...

I mean think about it... how many people would trust a merc to play in a war... (a reasonable number, I think)..

and how many of those would trust a merc with their own personal forum password, knowing that the merc could post all manner of crap as them, and get them banned??

I was looking at some unrealscript resources Polle pointed me at (thx, btw) and it seems that Epic had this sort of thing in mind right from the word go... An external user/password system is one of the examples given by the Epic guys for the ipdrv module!

I.

and if u play a match from a lan or at a friend ??? wtf could u do then when u can't come in, i think it's more up to the clan to get some players and they do merc anyway maybe the will get a repp that is not got for them and no ppl will join them...that my oponinon...:cow:

why use ips at all ?

just use pass of player account , for each individual player

and just put into force each player must use thier full clan name in matches , then you know who to blame for giving his/ her pass away if someone has merced.

Originally posted by stéàlth.
why use ips at all ?

just use pass of player account , for each individual player

and just put into force each player must use thier full clan name in matches , then you know who to blame for giving his/ her pass away if someone has merced.

Well... I would imagine you could set the playername to the "right" name as they logged in..

jup LeagueAS can set your name ^^

also maybe illegal mercing would decrease if something like that was introduced because the dumbfucks would be too stupid to get it to work instead of just saying: "hey we need you as merc - go to server and play as utlord_blabla" (sry lords :P it's [e]what[/e] ppl think tho :P)

another thing: legal mercing would be a bit harder too in that case because they are from another clan and normally only the player-passwords of a certain clan can be used to join.
one would need to contact an admin then who gives the legal merc a merc-pw ( only 1 of for each clan would be needed and this would the not be bound to a certain player. of course it would be a different one for each clan and in each match ).

Last edited:
just bound it to the macadress ... alot of licensing system uses this sort of thingie (flexlm is prolly the biggest one) and if people merc you can prolly trace the mac adress some how since it's unique for that NIC ... sure people can change nics but i think that's a tad to annoying for a simple thing as a merc ;) ... sure people might upgrade their nics and they'll get a new MAC adress but it'll show up if they multiclan since you can run the MAC adress throught a databse. just an idea i know atleast phear have prolly thought of this .... should be quiet simple ... you could even make an extrenal proggy that only gives you a matching PW if the mac adress corresponds to the clan (that holds they player) that's having the match. hell you could prolly even make a formula that generates a random encrypted number using a proggy that takes the cpu id + mac adress + bios version or whateven and encrypts it so people can't share player id numbers (then again the cpu + mac adress will never be the same unless it's the same computer ;)) ... problem is how the server will know what id the dude is using , well if you could write som uscript or something that checks with the proggy that the client is running everytime the client is connecting and that would pass pure/cshp then that would be great ;). well i'm sure you could perfect my idea this is just a 5 min brainstorming =P. btw that WOULD stop the cheaters from re joining the league unless they used another computer to play from or changed alot of the hardware. just my thoughts :)

and you change computers every match?
the thing is you can run the matching "number" through a database and see if that number matches people from other clans and stuff if so they could enforce the rule that they have set. so if you haev 4 comps you could play for 4 clans but you would be forced to use the same comp each time to match the corresponding clan. sure brothers who share the same comp wi.ll get problems but that's not my problem =P. as i said before (i think) how much time and effort are the admins/involved people willing to spend to actaully enforce a anti mercing rule. i mean they've said they've tried to tackle this thing for like what 3 years now and yet nothing seemd to have happened. i myslef don't really care for the mercing so much as i care for cheats and peoples shitty attitude nowadays ... but saying it can't be stopped is a lie it can be stopped to some extent but not 100% the question is just to what extent ;)

jinx' idea is quite doable.. mac addresses are changable tho but not done so easily i think.. not sure..

they where supposed to be stuck to the network card but that changed.

but with the combination of cpu id etc it should be quite doable.. you could gather lots of other stuff from ur comp that you could compare.. lets say only 1 card changed but still ur cpu+gfx card+hdd would be the same or sommat..

lol we could also ask ppl to "scan" in there passports or alike to prove they got a brother ;) just a silly thought but still there must be ways of checking if any1 has brothers etc yes or not.

gather the utas "brains" in an irc chat and talk bout it ;)

Plz ppl lets face it, nobody is likely to develop a system which will scan mac addresses or any other kind of hardware, it would require an elaborate system of external apps (which would be required for PC, Mac an Linux if you wanted everyone to be able to use it, but I guess the loss of Mac an Linux users is a price most would be happy to pay), uscript mods and an authentication server.

afaik there is no such system out there for UT at all, and there are considerably larger leagues than this. UT has been out for over 3 years and no such system has been developed, is it reasonable to expect that such a system could be developed by a small community such as this?

The automated server booking and setup system this league uses is in itself a heck of an achievement, and something i've not seen in UT anywhere else (in fact i've been asked by several other leagues for it). Its something that has taken years of work from Me, Matty, Swyzz and Arse to get it to the point is in today, yet IMHO a usable, reliable, accurate Anti Mercing system would require even more work.

I don't wanna rain on anyones parade, but I just can't see such a system being feasible :\

I never thought the ip and mac addy idea was going to be possible, but I'm sure the player password could be incorporated. It' effectiveness against mercs would be limited, but would still be better than nothing.

I never thought the ip and mac addy idea was going to be possible, but I'm sure the player password could be incorporated. It' effectiveness against mercs would be limited, but would still be better than nothing.

A password based system would at this stage just require and authentication server which can take names and passwords sent from LeagueAS and check them against the League player database. I did the LeagueAS side of it, and I built the League database to store player names & passwords I just never built the server to tie it all together.

But as has been pointed out, the effectiveness of such a system would be limited.