Another UT problem

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

Blondie

Jun 8, 2001
Germany
I just can't play UT for more than 10-15 minutes, otherwise the whole comp just locks up. I don't have any clue what's the problem, since any other game I have installed ( UT2003/Unreal II/DAoC/Freelancer/Need For Speed: HP II) runs fine. But I found something strange. When I run my comp with 100 MHz FSB instead of 133 MHz FSB UT runs for hours without any problems. Anyone got a solution how it's possible to run UT with 133 MHz FSB again ?

System is:
- Athlon XP2100+ on a MSI K7N2-L with a Coolermaster X-Dream HAC-V81 cooler
- DDR-RAM 256MB PC400 CL3 Samsung
- Geforce Ti4200 128 MB Ram
- Windows2000

Tried running it all on winxp ? how about the tempreture how hot is the cpu/case/northbridge..

No, I don't have WinXP installed, And I don't wanna install it :P
CPU temp is 55°-60°, system is 40°-45°, sometimes a bit more if its really hot here. But it can't be a temperature problem. Was also my first thought. But I bought a new and better cooler, before the cpu temp was above 65°.
Like I said other, and more cpu intensive, games like UT2003 and Unreal II are running fine. Even with my old cooler. Only UT is making problems.

UT tends to stress cpu thought ut2k3 would stress gfx cards...

My system (UT to be more exactly) runs rock stable with 100 MHz FSB an a cpu temp over 70°. Why should there be a heat problem with 133 FSB and a cpu temp of 58°-60° ? After several hours of testing, I don't believe cpu overheating is one of the possible options for the crash.
So anyone got some other ideas ?

try encoding a load of mp3s or something to stress the cpu outside of ut.. if it crashes then id say it was a overheating problem ;)

Originally posted by Blondie

- DDR-RAM 256MB PC400 CL3 Samsung
- Windows2000

What service packs have you installed?

And re: your RAM, most of the stuff I have read about Samsung ram has not been good. If your BIOS lets you, try seeing if you can set it to CAS2 instead of 3. 3 Is pretty slow, but pushing it up to 2 might cause your RAM to be unstable and/or knacker it.

Better memory to have would be crucial/micron or corsair.

If 133 causes UT to crash, but 100 works fine, that tends to suggest that either your PC is overheating, or 1 component is a bit too slow for the others and is causing problems. I take it you've tried reinstalling UT (perhaps on a different drive/partition to where you have 2k3 and U2), reseating the RAM in their sockets etc?

Most "weird" PC problems can be traced either to duff RAM, or a cheap PSU not supplying enough (or consistent enough) current.

I'd guess it's the same as Thuringwethil, dodgy ram playing with your pc. Have you tried giving it more voltage?`

Playing around with the ram timings seemed to help. Just played UT for over an hour without any chrashes.
Thx a lot for the helpful hints :bowdown:

Samsung is a pretty good make and ive had less problems with them than crucial/micron but that depends on the application.

Corsair use samsung chips in their product :D

Originally posted by MeetYourMaker
Samsung is a pretty good make and ive had less problems with them than crucial/micron but that depends on the application.

I think it also depends on the motherboard - I'm sure I've read that certain ASUS boards can be very choosy about the RAM you use in them...

Aye, if you avoid only one of Microsoft's products, make sure its Windows Millenium.