An inconvenient truth

• Hey - turns out IRC is out and something a little more modern has taken it's place... A little thing called Discord!

Join our community @ https://discord.gg/JuaSzXBZrk for a pick-up game, or just to rekindle with fellow community members.

I wonder how long we will last before we eventually bring our "host" down to the point of no return...
I agree with the fact that things need to change, and I realise the importance of preventing further global warming, but that which I have just quoted is simply not relevant.

At the very most we will destroy the environment on the planet up until a point where we risk ruining ourselves and our ''species''. This is bad, but only for us. Regardless of how much we do to eradicate ourselves, we can't simply destroy the planet. The most we can do is cause the planet to fight us off, like a disease, but our planet will restore. It may take thousands of years, it may take a million, but this planet will not be destroyed because of us. This planet has been through a lot more than us in its lifetime, really. We will be destroyed because of our actions, not our planet.

Either way though, I don't think we can avert this, it's probably going to take a near-extinction to shape people the hell up. That's just how "we" work I guess.

I agree with the fact that things need to change, and I realize the importance of preventing further global warming, but that which I have just quoted is simply not relevant.

At the very most we will destroy the environment on the planet up until a point where we risk ruining ourselves and our ''species''. This is bad, but only for us. Regardless of how much we do to eradicate ourselves, we can't simply destroy the planet. The most we can do is cause the planet to fight us off, like a disease, but our planet will restore. It may take thousands of years, it may take a million, but this planet will not be destroyed because of us. This planet has been through a lot more than us in its lifetime, really. We will be destroyed because of our actions, not our planet.

Either way though, I don't think we can avert this, it's probably going to take a near-extinction to shape people the hell up. That's just how "we" work I guess.

I disagree, especially with "only for us" part. There are already thousands of animal/plant species getting extinct at an alarmingly high rate in land, air and sea. I am sure you understand that destroying this planet does not mean literally breaking earth apart, but rather destroy life as we know it. I will not go into what could happen to the planet thousands or millions of years afterwards, because that is simply a base of speculation. The point is it is very sad/sarcastic that a species like us destroys its own living habitat, simply because we have the gift of choosing to do so. Our planet is an incredibly complex/beautiful planet, where everything stands at a perfect balance, yet the more we know, the easier it gets to tip it in one direction and bring total chaos back into the game. It is that perfect harmony, life force that makes Earth what it is, and if we change that around, we destroy everything it stands for, and might as well start calling it another planet in our solar system similar to Mars...

I disagree, especially with "only for us" part. There are already thousands of animal/plant species getting extinct at an alarmingly high rate in land, air and sea. I am sure you understand that destroying this planet does not mean literally breaking earth apart, but rather destroy life as we know it. I will not go into what could happen to the planet thousands or millions of years afterwards, because that is simply a base of speculation. The point is it is very sad/sarcastic that a species like us destroys its own living habitat, simply because we have the gift of choosing to do so. Our planet is an incredibly complex/beautiful planet, where everything stands at a perfect balance, yet the more we know, the easier it gets to tip it in one direction and bring total chaos back into the game. It is that perfect harmony, life force that makes Earth what it is, and if we change that around, we destroy everything it stands for, and might as well start calling it another planet in our solar system similar to Mars...
Then we disagree. We may destroy most life (I didn't mean to leave all our furry friends out), but we won't destroy it all. We simply can't; we really aren't the most enduring species on this planet, and even animals that can survive the harshest of conditions can't match the survivability of our planet itself.

About the thousands/millions of years thing.. speculation, hmmm yes, maybe. I do believe you take it to a level which is a bit too spiritual for factual arguments though. The deal is simply that we will eradicate ourselves and other feeble species, and the earth will flourish again after that. It has happened before, and if we continue our ways it will most certainly happen again. Yeah it's sad and maybe even sarcastic, but with our current mindset it's not going to change. I don't want this to happen, in fact it truly pains me to see what we're doing to ourselves and other species, but I don't have any hope since people would much rather stick their heads in the sand. Do you honestly think people will change in time, Squirrel?

Species are dying out daily, but they have been doing so even since before we even existed. Of course some of us seem to be pretty ''good'' at killing off some of the more noticeable, bigger species and I am not saying that we are not causing any extinction. However species come and go all the time...

Anyway, what I'm trying to say with far too many words is that the "Save the planet" stuff is just a bit misguiding. It's about saving what's on the planet, and not the planet itself as it has more than enough resilience to replenish itself after we destroy ourselves and most of the life on it.

that might all be correct - and still... - what does it teach us?:

that our very lifes and those of our ancestors are gonna be in more than serious trouble if we don't act now...

i am saying this again, because in the past weeks i realized, that - where i live - nearly nobody at all is interested in this movie or the problem at all.
wtf?!